Encryption of source modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encryption of source modules

Could be I lost something, but I don't see a possibility to encrypt bas module.
    Like rule, third-party modules are DLL, even if they are written on PB.
    I think I'm not alone, who not likes additional DLL and wants to have EXE only.
    If it will be a possibility to encrypt a source text, vendors will be able to distribute encrypted libraries and programmers will be able not only to say good-buy to DLL, but also to reduce a common size of program, because in certain program are used not all functions.

Of course you can do this. Encrypt the file, send it to someone and he/she
    decrypts it with a key, provided by you. If you intend to sell libraries
    this way, the key, is the key to the money..

Comment

Borje --
      this variant opens a source code, ok, for legal customers.
      But how to avoid in this case publication on public domain ?
      (pls, do not say "laws", "copyright" - in many countries this means nothing)

Comment

I have a commandline utility I wrote that encrypts files using RC4 encryption, I put 1000 built in keys into it so I can email source code to people, and so far I like it, I can simply plop the code in an email or leave on my ftp server, and specify say "Use key #44"...

If you'd like a copy and are inside the US/Canada let me know

After that, you have to deal with the legalities of other countries, and if Microsoft can't control China allowing 2 billion dollars worth of pirated software, I doubt you will be able to either without encryption..

Scott

-------------
        Scott Turchin

Scott Turchin
        MCSE, MCP+I
        http://www.tngbbs.com
        ----------------------
        True Karate-do is this: that in daily life, one's mind and body be trained and developed in a spirit of humility; and that in critical times, one be devoted utterly to the cause of justice. -Gichin Funakoshi

Comment

Ok, now I understand what you mean. Why not put all the routines in a DLL
          and let people know they can buy the source code and libraries if they want
          to compile the code into a single exe?

The DLL could be built for demostration purposes only, with a reminder showing
          up each time it's loaded into memory. The DLL could also be sold separately
          for a lower price, the code for a much higher price. By doing this, you can
          target two kinds of developers at the same time - both the "DLL" people and
          the "single EXE file" people.

If you set the price high for the code, you will get serious customers and I
          don't think anyone would distribute it around illegally, since they have had
          to pay a lot of money for it..

Comment

Borje --
            to be clearly, I want to explain on my own sample.
            In my commerce PB/CC program I use ConTools and Graphic Tools.
            It's very powerful DLL and really I use 5% of them.
            When I distribute my program, I need to include 3 DLL (about 140 Kb).
            In fact I need only 10 additional Kb (if these tools were as source code).
            For me is not interesting a source code of these DLL as it is (could be interesting, but not so that to pay many money).
            If it will be a possibility in PB to do something like $Include "a.basassword" and compiler will decrypt inside itself during compilation, both sides will be satisfied (vendor and user).

Comment

Actually you just about it hit on the mark.

I'm thinking along these lines:

Global variable as long

A function called InitDLL
              Verify password in this DLL, set global variable to %TRUE.

Now, only draw back here is that each function would need a call something like:
              If IsFalse g_OKFlag then exit function

I had this working once, but goofed it up and removed all of it after that.
              But it is very easy to password protect a DLL...but I can tell you it can be cracked too, nothing is sacred anymore (That's ashame too)..
              Scott

-------------
              Scott Turchin

Scott Turchin
              MCSE, MCP+I
              http://www.tngbbs.com
              ----------------------
              True Karate-do is this: that in daily life, one's mind and body be trained and developed in a spirit of humility; and that in critical times, one be devoted utterly to the cause of justice. -Gichin Funakoshi

Comment

Working...
              X