Looking inside a DLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking inside a DLL

Where does one start to see the code generated by PB6.0 in a dll. I know that the dumpbin utility will disassemble the entire dll but how do I find the entry points etc...

Before Lance asks - I'm would like to do this so I can see how different programming styles affect the resulting DLL

[This message has been edited by Larry Westrick (edited March 02, 2000).]

Ok If I understand what you are asking, you want to see the assembly code that powerbasic produces.
    For that you could use a debugger. Not the one supplied with PowerBASIC though because that will not show the assembly code. If you have VC++ it comes with a debugger that will do it.
    Also Borland Turbo Assembler comes with a nice debugger.
    I am sure if you searched Yahoo you would find a lot of hits.
    And I am sure that someone else on this board could suggest some too. Or maybe other ways of doing what you are asking.

Ok I just read your post again. You want to see the compiled code for a specific procedure in a DLL. I way I have done this is to create a EXE that calls the specific function in a DLL then I run the EXE in TD32 (Turbo Debugger32) and that lets me jump to the DLL and setup break points and also shows the Assembled code.

HTH
    Kevin

------------------
    mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
    :-)

[This message has been edited by KevinVoell (edited March 02, 2000).]

Comment

The best disassembler that you need is w32dasm. You can find it at
      protools.cjb.net, there are also many other very usefull programming tools.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Erwin van de Wiel (edited March 03, 2000).]

Comment

Thanks for the Help. I wrote a C program that called the various functions in the DLL and used the C++ debugger to look at the resulting code. I haven't tried the other disassembler yet, I will when I get a chance.

Where on the web could I find the 386/Pentium Instruction Set? I stopped programming in assembler when the 386 came out so my reference material is very dated.

------------------

Comment

Ok for the asm instructions you can check out different links, I think that the link I gave also has some asm helpfiles, otherwise check out these two links:
          http://packetstorm.securify.com/programming-tutorials/ http://www.multimania.com/mrcrimson/

Also w32dasm is very clear and is very easy to read even if you know asm just a little.

------------------

Comment

Working...
          X