Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HWND_TOPMOST, NOTOPMOST & Task Bar

Hi, folks --
    There is one old question, which I can't solve up to now.
    Problem is following.
    I want to have full-screen mode (to overwrite any taskbars).
    It's easy, if to set HWND_TOPMOST.
    But there are many disadvantures in this approach (in this case it's necessary to take off own window, when user switches to another app).
    If after overwriting taskbar to return NOTOPMOST, further depends of OS and under some OSes (Win95, Win2000), taskbar is able to cover a window again.
    Does anybody know, how TaskBar decides to overwrite HWND_NOTOPMOST window or not ?

Sorry, I'm not clear what you're asking. Giving a window NOTOPMOST status means that TOPMOST status is "removed" and other windows (including the Task Bar) are allowed to cover it up again. So unless your window keeps its TOPMOST status, the Task Bar (which always has TOPMOST status) will be able to cover it up.

About the only way to do what (I think) you are describing would be to give your window TOPMOST status and then have your callback function check for a message of some kind that would indicate that you no longer have the focus, such as would be the case if somebody pressed Alt-Tab. Your callback function would then have to give the window NOTOPMOST status so that another app could become visible. Then, when focus is regained, give it TOPMOST status again.

Does that help?

-- Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric Pearson (edited March 08, 2000).]
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Eric --
      a technique, which you described, is clear (and exactly this I do).
      But I'm sure that toolbar has no TOPMOST status.
      With true GUI all is very simple in all OSes.
      It's enough to cover task-bar even a little.
      For example, take my last variant of "Fixed".
      A window isn't TOPMOST. But in all OSes it covers toolbar (incl. after Alt-Tab).
      With not true-GUI: in all OSes I can cover with %HWND_TOPMOST.
      After NOTOPMOST under 98 and NT4 this window covers Toolbar and after Alt-Tab.
      But under Win95b and Win2000 after NOTOPMOST toolbar imm. covers my window.
      What I really want: to give non-true GUI the same "status" as GUI (where difference ? both - notopmost).

------------------

Comment

> But I'm sure that toolbar has no TOPMOST status.

Sorry... toolbar? Do you mean the task bar? According to the Microsoft Spy++ program, the Task Bar does in fact have the WS_EX_TOPMOST style.

> What I really want: to give non-true GUI the same
        > "status" as GUI (where difference ?

non-true GUI = Console Window?

-- Eric

------------------
        Perfect Sync: Perfect Sync Development Tools
        Email: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Comment

"toolbar" - sorry, of course, I am about task bar.
          What means non-true - yes, you understood me correctly (I used this word specially).
          About Spy++. I haven't it.
          Hmmm ... But in this case task bar should cover GUI notopmost windows also. Or I'm wrong ?

------------------

Comment

For 640x480 screens i enforce our apps to be the same size.
            No maximize button, this will let the app stay on front.

------------------

Comment

Interesting ... But I'm afraid (really almost sure) that I'm not able to delete "maximizing" button. To disable - yes.

------------------

Comment

> About Spy++. I haven't it.

Spy++ is part of the Visual Studio package. It can list 100% of the windows (and 100% of their children) that are currently active on your system -- even hidden ones -- and tell you many, many different things about them. It's really amazing. In one of its more useful modes you can monitor all of the Windows messages that are sent to a window.

In any event, as you're finding out, Windows does not provide "non-true GUI windows" with all of the tools that normal windows enjoy. I wish you luck, but in America we say "you can't get blood from a turnip". Even Spy++ wouldn't be much help with a "non-true GUI window". For example, it will not display the Windows messages that are sent to it.

-- Eric

------------------
                Perfect Sync: Perfect Sync Development Tools
                Email: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Comment

Working...
                X