Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Determine what DAY Daylight Savings Starts on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determine what DAY Daylight Savings Starts on.

How would one grab the date of "The first sunday in April" to determine what the date will be on that day...

I could guess, but I only have a 1 in 7 change

Scott

-------------
    Scott
    mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
    Scott Turchin
    MCSE, MCP+I
    http://www.tngbbs.com
    ----------------------
    True Karate-do is this: that in daily life, one's mind and body be trained and developed in a spirit of humility; and that in critical times, one be devoted utterly to the cause of justice. -Gichin Funakoshi

OK I think I have it, and even see a pattern here but can't put my finger on it...
    Since I only need to know In APRIL, I can easy do the math...
    Since It's a SYSTEMTIME structure I set a SYSTEMTIME structure up like this to test:

It seems to return the date correctly....

Code:
    Local tt As systemtime
    tt = st
    tt.wday = %Monday
    tt.wyear = 2001
    tt.wMonth = 4
    MsgBox Str$(CountDownToDST(tt))

MsgBox STtoNISTTime(0,g_ClientPingTime)
    Exit Function

Function CountDownToDST(st As SYSTEMTIME)Export As Long
    If st.wMonth <> %April Or st.wday > 8 Then Exit Function 'Past the DST marker already, 1st Sunday of April
    Select Case st.wday
              Case %Sunday
                   Function = 0
              Case %Monday
                   Function = 6
              Case %Tuesday
                   Function = 5
              Case %Wednesday
                   Function = 4
              Case %Thursday
                   Function = 3
              Case %Friday
                   Function = 2
              Case %Saturday
                   Function = 1
    End Select
    End Function
    ------------------
    Scott
    Scott Turchin
    MCSE, MCP+I
    ----------------------
    True Karate-do is this: that in daily life, one's mind and body be trained and developed in a spirit of humility; and that in critical times, one be devoted utterly to the cause of justice. -Gichin Funakoshi

Comment

See also: daylight saving source for PBDOS (Source Code Forum) and the connected discussion in the PBDOS Forum

------------------

Egbert Zijlema, journalist and programmer (zijlema at basicguru dot eu)
      http://zijlema.basicguru.eu
      *** Opinions expressed here are not necessarily untrue ***

Comment

Just remember that this routine would not be accurate for ALL years, only from 1999 (or was it 1998) forward. (Unless of course they change the rules again....it use to begin the LAST Sunday in April).

Ray

Just pointing this out in case your looking to dertermine the start for years within the past. (If that's the case, we had one year in which we had daylight savings time for an entire year...during the 70's fuel shortage, as I recall).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ray Corry (edited April 10, 2000).]

Comment

That's exactly right, that link above describes it all, but the good point is that it's in a DLL, and can be quickly modified and distributed in the event we DO change the time again....

Personally, the FIRST sunday is easier to figure out than the LAST sunday (I think)..

------------------
          Scott
          Scott Turchin
          MCSE, MCP+I
          ----------------------

Comment

Scott,

I think you are wrong. Finding the last Sunday of any month is the same easy as finding the first.

See the source code Forum to download a Daylight Saving routine for PBDLL60

------------------

Comment

Maybe easy for you! *Grin*, you make that stuff look easy!!
              I don't understand the julian date stuff very well except to say I count 1 to 365 and I have a julian date somewhere in there (I used to work for the government and had to use it, but never understood how it was derived programmatically)...

Question for you, since I am very impressed with the functions.

What will the functions return?
              ie:
              FirstSundayOfApril

Will that return the date or how many days until?

Thanks

Scott

------------------
              Scott
              Scott Turchin
              MCSE, MCP+I
              ----------------------

Comment

Scott,

See my website (www.basicguru.com/zijlema/). Surf to the Javascript page to read an explanation on Julian Day Numbers.

To answer your question here and now: each of my functions Last/FirstSundayOfMonth(year) returns the appropriate date for the given year in the form of a long integer (Julian). This Julian is the number of days elapsed since November 25, 4714 BC.

Using (long) integers for a calendar date makes counting / counting down very easy. Once the routine has found the Julian for the last/first Sunday, the JulToDate(Jul) function converts the JDN back to a valid date.

Derived from the Julian, the days of the week are the remainders of a repetetive division by 7 (the MOD operator), where: Monday = 0 thru Sunday = 6. Sometimes I add 1 to these values in order to get Monday thru Sunday = 1 - 7, but in this routine this is not really important. We just want to stop the function on the appropriate day.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Egbert Zijlema (edited April 12, 2000).]

Comment

Thank you

While the math is still confusing to me, I will learn it

Also, I wrote these, since if may be either October or April when the app is run, and if it is, I will need to do a countdown TO the first sunday or LAST SUNDAY so I wrote these fine little functions, and it works great!

'=============================================================================
                  Function DateofFirstSundayOfApril(wYear As Integer) Export As Long 'It will be a systemtime.wday long integer
                  Function = Val(Right$(Parse$(JulToDate(FirstSundayOfApril(wYear)),2),2))
                  End Function
                  Function DateOfLastSundayOfOctober(wYear As Integer)Export As Long
                  Function = Val(Right$(Parse$(JulToDate(LastSundayOfOctober(wYear)),2),2))
                  End Function

------------------
                  Scott
                  Scott Turchin
                  MCSE, MCP+I
                  ----------------------

Comment

By the way, for anyone reading this.
                    You too can take advantage of a bug in Windows 3.1 THROUGH Windows 2000!!!!!!!!!!

I want to say, pull my date up to October 15th and determine how many days it is until Oct 31'st, BUT I don't want to mess up my system time because of other applications...

Double Click the clock, CHANGE it, but do NOT apply/cancel/ok out of it. Leave running in background, the system time will now show OCTOBER, but you can click cancel and it will go BACK to current date/time after you run your application....

I don't know if it is a debug, a bug, or just a cool feature, but I love it...

------------------
                    Scott
                    Scott Turchin
                    MCSE, MCP+I
                    ----------------------

Comment

Scott --

But doing that does affect other applications! For example, if I run a DOS app that constantly displays the date/time on my NT4 machine, and I use the clock applet to change the date but I do not click Ok, the DOS app shows the date-changes as I make them.

-- Eric

------------------
                      Perfect Sync: Perfect Sync Development Tools
                      Email: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Yes it will show the changes, which is why it is a BUG not a feature, if a time sensitive application changes time, it could be detramental.

When I was creating the client piece to Nucelar Time Server it would continuously change and detonate, ICQ will detonate, several othher apps GPF'd also, so do be careful...

BUT what a great troubleshooting tool when needed!!!!!!!!

------------------
                        Scott
                        Scott Turchin
                        MCSE, MCP+I
                        ----------------------

Comment

One more quick question before my new fridge gets here and I have to go put it in...

The NIST accounts for what is called a "Leap Second", not to be confused with LEAP YEAR. It is used to adjust for inaccuracies in the earths rotation etc....

Does anyone know HOW this is determined when it will be used?
                          It is always 1 second at teh end of the month that gets added if it is used.

Basically that's the last piece of the puzzle and my SYSTEMTIME_TO_NISTTime will be complete

Scott

------------------
                          Scott
                          Scott Turchin
                          MCSE, MCP+I
                          ----------------------

Comment

Hi Folks,

In the European Union the Daylight Saving Period began on the last Sunday of March. One week later the US should follow, but since the change of the clock in Europe there seems to be a permanent 10 hours' difference when comparing local time in The Netherlands by the time of this server.

Since the first Sunday of April the 'normal' difference of 9 hours should be restored. How come? Did California not adjust its clocks? In other words: does it differ from state to state in America? And if so, can someone from the US tell me on which day the clock goes one hour ahead in which state?

------------------

Comment

And if so, can someone from the US tell me on which day the clock goes one hour ahead in which state?
                              Not all states participate in daylight savings time, but generally speaking on Sunday morning at 2am we switch our clocks over, does that help?

Another note, something I found in our database when working with some of our technicians down in Australia, the date came up one day ahead of time, could it be an international dateline issue??

Scott

------------------
                              Scott
                              Scott Turchin
                              MCSE, MCP+I
                              ----------------------

Comment

It's not the dateline, Scott!

Before the switch in Europe 'my' clock was 9 hours ahead, compared to Power Basic's in Carmel (CA). Last Sunday of March the difference became 10 hours, due to the European adjustment. But after a week it should be back to 9 again (DST in America), which did not happen.

Maybe Power Basic did not adjust their server's clock?

------------------

Comment

This is untested, but I'm sure it will work. It is very similar to my "Thanksgiving Day" function.

Code:
                                  Dim WHATDATE$

Call DATEFormat (DayLightDate(2000), WHATDATE$)
                                  txtDayLightSavingsTime.Text = WHATDATE$

Function DayLightDate (iYear) Export As Long
                                    DayLightDate = SetMonday(DateSerial(iYear, 3, 31)) + 6
                                  End Function

Function SetMonday (ByVal dDateSerial As Double) _
                                           Export As Long
                                    Dim lDateSerial As Long, iSetMonday As Integer

lDateSerial = Fix(dDateSerial)
                                    iSetMonday = (lDateSerial - 2) Mod 7
                                    Function = lDateSerial - iSetMonday
                                  End Function

FUNCTION DATESERIAL(ByVal iInYears AS INTEGER, _     
                                           ByVal iInMonths AS INTEGER, ByVal iInDays _
                                           AS INTEGER ) EXPORT AS DOUBLE

Dim dBuildDate As Double
                                    Dim iYears As Integer
                                    Dim iMonths As Integer
                                    Dim iDays As Integer

iYears = iInYears
                                    iMonths = iInMonths
                                    iDays = iInDays - 1

If iYears > 1000 Then iYears = iYears - 1900
                                    dBuildDate = Int(iYears * 365.248) + 2
                                    iYears = iYears + 1900
                                    Do
                                      IF iMonths = %JAN THEN EXIT DO
                                      dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 31         'Days in January
                                      IF iMonths = %FEB THEN EXIT DO
                                      If iYears Mod 4 Then
                                        dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 28       'Days in February
                                      Else
                                        dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 29       'Days in Leap February
                                      End If
                                      IF iMonths = %MAR THEN EXIT DO
                                      dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 31         'Days in March
                                      IF iMonths = %APR THEN EXIT DO
                                      dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 30         'Days in April
                                      IF iMonths = %MAY THEN EXIT DO
                                      dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 31         'Days in May
                                      IF iMonths = %JUN THEN EXIT DO
                                      dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 30         'Days in June
                                      IF iMonths = %JUL THEN EXIT DO
                                      dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 31         'Days in July
                                      IF iMonths = %AUG THEN EXIT DO
                                      dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 31         'Days in August
                                      IF iMonths = %SEP THEN EXIT DO
                                      dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 30         'Days in September
                                      IF iMonths = %OCT THEN EXIT DO
                                      dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 31         'Days in October
                                      IF iMonths = %NOV THEN EXIT DO
                                      dBuildDate = dBuildDate + 30         'Days in November
                                      IF iMonths = %DEC THEN EXIT DO
                                      DATESERIAL = 0
                                      Exit Function
                                    Loop
                                    dBuildDate = dBuildDate + iDays
                                    FUNCTION = dBuildDate
                                  End Function

FUNCTION TIMESERIAL(ByVal iHours AS INTEGER, _
                                           ByVal iMins AS INTEGER, ByVal iSecs AS INTEGER ) _   
                                           EXPORT AS DOUBLE

Dim iHoursPerDay As Integer
                                    Dim iMinsPerDay As Integer
                                    Dim lSecsPerDay As Long

'A time serial number is a fraction of a day
                                    iHoursPerDay = 24
                                    iMinsPerDay = 60 * iHoursPerDay
                                    lSecsPerDay = 60 * iMinsPerDay
                                    FUNCTION = ( iHours / iHoursPerDay ) + _
                                    ( iMins / iMinsPerDay ) + ( iSecs / lSecsPerDay )
                                  End Function

SUB DATEFormat (ByVal dDateSerial AS DOUBLE, _
                                      WHATDATE AS STRING * 10) EXPORT
                                    Dim iYears As Integer, iMonths As Integer, _
                                        iDays As Integer, sDate As String
                                    iYears = Int(dDateSerial - 2 / 365.248)
                                    iDays = (Int(dDateSerial) - Int(iYears * 365.248)) - 1
                                    iYears = iYears + 1900
                                    Do
                                      INCR iMonths
                                      If iDays < 32 Then Exit Do
                                      Select Case iMonths
                                        CASE %FEB
                                          If iYears Mod 4 Then
                                            iDays = iDays - 28
                                          Else
                                            iDays = iDays - 29
                                          End If
                                        CASE %APR
                                          iDays = iDays - 30
                                        CASE %JUN
                                          iDays = iDays - 30
                                        CASE %SEP
                                          iDays = iDays - 30
                                        CASE %NOV
                                          iDays = iDays - 30
                                        Case Else
                                          iDays = iDays - 31
                                      End Select
                                    Loop
                                    If iMonths < 10 Then
                                          sDate = "0" + LTrim$(Str$(iMonths)) + "-"
                                    Else
                                          sDate = LTrim$(Str$(iMonths)) + "-"
                                    End If
                                    If iDays < 10 Then
                                          sDate = sDate + "0" + LTrim$(Str$(iDays)) + "-" + _
                                                  LTrim$(Str$(iYears))
                                    Else
                                          sDate = sDate + LTrim$(Str$(iDays)) + "-" + _
                                                  LTrim$(Str$(iYears))
                                    End If
                                    WHATDATE = sDate
                                  End Sub

SUB TIMEFormat (ByVal dDateSerial AS DOUBLE, _
                                      WHATTIME AS STRING * 8) EXPORT
                                    Dim lDate As Long
                                    Dim iHours As Integer, iMinutes As Integer, _
                                        iSeconds As Integer, sTime As String
                                    Dim iHoursPerDay As Integer
                                    Dim iMinsPerDay As Integer
                                    Dim lSecsPerDay As Long
                                    Dim sAM As String * 3

'A time serial number is a fraction of a day
                                    sAM = " AM"
                                    iHoursPerDay = 24
                                    iMinsPerDay = 60 * iHoursPerDay
                                    lSecsPerDay = 60 * iMinsPerDay

lDate = Int(dDateSerial)
                                    dDateSerial = dDateSerial - lDate

'Now dDateSerial contains only the time as a fraction of a day
                                    iHours = Int(dDateSerial * iHoursPerDay)
                                    If iHours Then dDateSerial = dDateSerial - _
                                                   (iHours / iHoursPerDay)
                                    iMinutes = Int(dDateSerial * iMinsPerDay)
                                    If iMinutes Then dDateSerial = dDateSerial - _
                                                     (iMinutes / iMinsPerDay)
                                    iSeconds = Int(dDateSerial * lSecsPerDay)

If iHours < 10 Then
                                      sTime = "0" + LTrim$(Str$(iHours)) + ":"
                                      If sTime = "00:" Then sTime = "12:"
                                    ElseIf iHours > 12 Then
                                      iHours = iHours - 12
                                      If iHours < 10 Then
                                        sTime = "0" + LTrim$(Str$(iHours)) + ":"
                                      Else
                                        sTime = LTrim$(Str$(iHours - 12)) + ":"
                                      End If
                                      sAM = " PM"
                                    ElseIf iHours = 12 And iMinutes > 0 Then
                                      sTime = "12:"
                                      sAM = " PM"
                                    Else
                                      sTime = LTrim$(Str$(iHours)) + ":"
                                    End If
                                    If iMinutes < 10 Then
                                      sTime = sTime + "0" + LTrim$(Str$(iMinutes)) + ":"
                                    Else
                                      sTime = sTime + LTrim$(Str$(iMinutes)) + ":"
                                    End If
                                    If iSeconds < 10 Then
                                      sTime = sTime + "0" + LTrim$(Str$(iSeconds))
                                    Else
                                      sTime = sTime + LTrim$(Str$(iSeconds))
                                    End If
                                    WHATTIME = sTime + sAM
                                  End Sub
                                  [This message has been edited by David Lloyd (edited May 04, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                                  X