MS Access files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Access files

I can use MS Visual BASIC to write programs that let me use MS Access files. Can I use PB/DLL to write programs that let me use MS Access files? Jeffrey.

There are at least three ways to do it...

1. Use the low level ODBC interface - it's a fair amount of work, but you can find some headers on the web site http://www.powerbasic.com/files/pub/pbwin/database/

2. Use a 3rd Party tool such as PerfectSync's SQLTools from www.perfectsync.com

3. Use an OCX/ActiveX (such as supplied with VB) and use a tool such as JACOM/PB from www.jazzagesoft.com to generate the PB/DLL code to use these COM-based libraries.

Option #2 is the easiest and most compact solution - SQLTools is capable of using any ODBC-compliant database that has a Windows driver installed.

------------------
    Lance
    PowerBASIC Support
    mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
    Lance
    mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Jeffrey --

It is definitely possible to use the Windows API (specifically the SQL/ODBC API) to access a Microsoft Access database, but it has a well-deserved reputation for being one of the more difficult sections of the API to use. If you want to go that route, search this BBS for "ODBC" and you'll find some code that will get you started. But most of the code that I have seen here is relatively simple demonstration code that would need some things like error checking added before it was "ready for prime time" in a serious application. Some of the ODBC API functions are much more complex than they look.

The easiest way (IMO) would be for you to use our SQL Tools product, which provides easy-to-use wrappers for virtually 100% of the SQL/ODBC functions. Instead of making as many as a dozen API calls (depending on a variety of runtime factors) you can open a database with a single line of code, like...

Code:
      SQL_OpenDB "MyData.MDB"
      For more information...

http://perfectsync.com/sqltools.htm

For an independent evaluation of SQL Tools vs. using the API, the BASICally Speaking newletter reviewed SQL Tools Pro a while back. Here is the text of that review...

http://perfectsync.com/SQLToolsReview.htm

-- Eric

------------------
      Perfect Sync: Perfect Sync Development Tools
      Email: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Eric,

Read the review by Alan C. Earnshaw. I have to disagree with him on the docs issue. Of course this is HIS opinion and we all know the definition of OPINION!!!

Since you provide the docs in Adobe Acrobat, it's not a big deal to get the manual in paper form. Just about any local print shop can use a PDF file to print out a hard copy and at a very reasonable charge. Apparently costs does not matter to this gentleman.

About the install issue, that definitely needs addressing!

I do not do DB's, but you have apparently done an excellent job with the SQL ODBC interface.

Cheers,
        Cecil

------------------

Comment

Lance, I tried to visit www.jazzagesoft.com site but I got "Page Not Found" message. I downloaded the ODBC header file from this web site but I am not sure about writing a program. I am not sure about buying SQLTools libray. Jeffrey.

------------------

Comment

Eric, I am not sure about buying SQLTools. Jeffrey.

------------------

Comment

Jeffrey --

If you'd like to evaluate SQL Tools for yourself, we offer a 30-day, no-questions-asked, money-back guarantee when you order from our secure web site with a credit card.

But I warn you, our return rate is very low!

The same guarantee applies to all of our Development Tools, but you already own everything else we offer!

I should probably say that SQL Tools is significantly larger and more complex than the other tools we offer. It is not as close to "plug and play" as Console Tools and Graphics Tools, due to the complex nature of database programming. You'll want to read several sections of the Help File before jumping in for the first time, and if you've never worked with SQL before it can be a little frustrating at first. That being said, compared to calling the ODBC API functions yourself, learning SQL Tools is a breeze! (IMO of course.)

-- Eric

------------------
              Perfect Sync: Perfect Sync Development Tools
              Email: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Jeffery,
                SQL Tools is the best money I ever spent. If you need to access ODBC data files, there's very little you can't do with even the 'standard' version.
                Another 'little known' feature. They have automatically sent me updates, bug fixes, etc. I did not have to hunt through their web site to find out what the latest version was. They came to me.

Just an opinion,
                --Bob

------------------
                "It was too lonely at the top".

Comment

Working...
                X