Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDT alignment PB vs. VB

RE: PB/DLL 6 and VB 5

The help for PB implies that VB aligns each member of a UDT by DWORD.
    "The memory address for each member of the UDT must begin at a location evenly divisible by 4 (there are 4 bytes in a DWORD)."

I am seeing different results. To me, it appears the total size of a VB UDT must be divisible by 4 AND any needed padding is inserted after the first member in the UDT that is not divisible by 4 (remember that two VB integers are "packed").

The two are "equal" when passing a record ByRef between PB and VB.

Code:
    TYPE PBType
      Mem_A   AS STRING * 10
      PAD     AS STRING * 2
      Mem_B   AS Currency
      Mem_C   AS Currency
      Mem_D   AS STRING * 5
      Mem_E   AS STRING * 32
      Mem_F   AS STRING * 14
      Mem_G   AS STRING * 32
      Mem_H   AS STRING * 32
      Mem_I   AS STRING * 32
      Mem_J   AS STRING * 27
      Mem_K   AS STRING * 4
      Mem_L   AS STRING * 10
      Mem_M   AS LONG
      Mem_N   AS LONG
      Mem_O   AS LONG
    END TYPE

TYPE VBType
      Mem_A   AS STRING * 10
      Mem_B   AS Currency
      Mem_C   AS Currency
      Mem_D   AS STRING * 5
      Mem_E   AS STRING * 32
      Mem_F   AS STRING * 14
      Mem_G   AS STRING * 32
      Mem_H   AS STRING * 32
      Mem_I   AS STRING * 32
      Mem_J   AS STRING * 27
      Mem_K   AS STRING * 4
      Mem_L   AS STRING * 10
      Mem_M   AS LONG
      Mem_N   AS LONG
      Mem_O   AS LONG
    END TYPE
    Dennis

Type TypeName As DWORD ?

Comment

Dennis

It has been a long time since I last looked into it so I may be wrong, but as I recall VB's type alignment rules were as follows:

Integers are aligned on a 2-byte boundary. Longs, Currencies and all floats are aligned on a 4-byte boundary. Strings and bytes are simply aligned on bytes (that is, no padding is added before them).

Comment

OK, but exactly what are the PB rules? Equally important, how
        should one compose UDT's between PB 3.5 for DOS and this, so that
        when it comes time to move to this, the same UDT will not trip
        you up?

-------------
        Mike Luther
        [email protected]
        Mike Luther
        [email protected]

Comment

be sure to check out the faq on this: http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...hread.php?t=28

-------------
          lance
          powerbasic support
          ( mailto:[email protected][email protected]</a> )
          Lance
          mailto:[email protected]

Comment

My conclusion agrees with Jim's. The FAQ just does not account for odd length strings. Using type DWORD causes all of the PB members to be aligned, which does not match VB's method.

My bringing up this topic is to come up with a better definition of VB's alignment process for inclusion in the PB docs.

Since PB is marketed as a companion to VB, adding a type option of VBALIGNED would be a helpful addition.

Dennis

Comment

the information we have in the faq at http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...hread.php?t=28 is obsolete, and unfortunately so is our help file information on the subject.

the current printed manual for pb/dll does have an updated discussion on vb's curious "natural alignment" technique, in appendix a - visual basic. we will be updating the faq on the bbs as soon as time permits.

the brief version of the info is this:
              vb uses dword alignment provisionally. elements are dword-aligned unless the next element(s) can fit entirely within the space that would've otherwise been used to pad out the dword. to match this in pb, the user needs to use byte alignment in the pb udt, and insert appropriate dummy variables in the pb udt, so as to pad it out accordingly.

-------------
              lance
              powerbasic support
              ( mailto:[email protected][email protected]</a> )
              Lance
              mailto:[email protected]

Comment

For more information about VB 32-Bit Alignment problems you could look at the May 1997 Issue of Visal Basic Programmers Journal. The article is the Black Belt Programming column by Jonathon Wood.

There is also some free downloads on his web site
                http://www.softcircuits.com/sw_tools.htm http://www.softcircuits.com/sw_vbsrc.htm

Joseph W. Murphy

Comment

I still have that issue! Thank you for the tip!

Dennis

Comment

The piece that seems to be missing from the PB docs is that fixed length strings are not aligned at all. My "theory" is that the cause is the way VB must convert strings from unicode to ansi.

Dennis

Comment

I seem confused with the question we are debating over, why don't we just pass everything as a byte array... obviously VB6 stressed the advantages of this feature, its always recommended to pass a byte array to API's, so why wouldn't you do that to PB/DLL?

Greg Engle

Comment

Originally posted by gengle99:
                        I seem confused with the question we are debating over, why don't we just pass everything as a byte array... obviously VB6 stressed the advantages of this feature, its always recommended to pass a byte array to API's, so why wouldn't you do that to PB/DLL?

Greg Engle
                        A byte array sounds workable, but is there an efficient way to "read" the byte array in VB6? It appears I'll have to loop through the array to build my VB string, and then I will have lost the speed advantage in having called PBDLL in the first place! I'm finding that unicode conversion is more of an issue than type alignment.

------------------

Comment

_____________________________________________________________
                          elements are dword-aligned unless the next element(s) can fit entirely within the space that would've otherwise been used to pad out the dword.
                          _____________________________________________________________
                          however remember all elements must be aligned to a "natural boundry" so integers must start at an even byte address, this gives optimal speed for the intel architecture (ai) as intel describe it, as any element not on a natural boundry requires two memory accesses to obtain the information rather than one. the vb udt gives equivalent speed to the pb udt with dword alignment but better packing.
                          there do appear to be problems with unicode conversions. http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...ad.php?t=17471
                          may be of some help

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by John Petty:
                            The VB UDT gives equivalent speed to the PB UDT with DWORD alignment but better packing.
                            There do appear to be problems with unicode conversions.
                            It appears there is no good way to pass UDT's from VB to PB and back unless the types are carefully planned with all numeric fields or all strings. Unicode with partial DWORD alignment makes passing types nearly impossible. PB really needs to address this incompatibility.

I have solved my problem passing types to PB by defining a type using all string fields in VB with the actual type (not DWORD aligned) in PB. In VB I have to convert numbers to strings using the CopyMemory API call prior to calling PB, and on return I have to use CopyMemory to put the string values back to the numeric variables. VB's automatic conversion of Unicode when calling DLL's makes this possible. I know this is a tedious solution, but it works, and it's preferable to passing lots of individual variables. See the example below:

Code:
                            Type SampleType            'Used in VB and PB
                               iInteger As Integer
                               sString As String * 5
                               lLong As Long
                            End Type
                            Type SampleTypeBuffer       'VB type passed to PB
                               iInteger As String * 2
                               sString As String * 5
                               lLong As String * 4
                            End Type
                            Sub SetBuffer
                               Dim Sample As SampleType
                               Dim SampleBuf As SampleTypeBuffer
                               CopyMemory Sample.iInteger, SampleBuf.iInteger, 2
                               SampleBuf.sString = Sample.sString
                               CopyMemory Sample.lLong, SampleBuf.lLong, 4
                            End Sub
                            Sub GetBuffer
                               Dim Sample As SampleType
                               Dim SampleBuf As SampleTypeBuffer
                               CopyMemory SampleBuf.iInteger, Sample.iInteger, 2
                               Sample.sString = SampleBuf.sString
                               CopyMemory SampleBuf.lLong, Sample.lLong, 4
                            End Sub
                            Call SetBuffer
                            Call PowerBasic (SampleBuf As SampleTypeBuffer)
                            Call GetBuffer

------------------

Comment

David
                              You are not doing any alignment!
                              Your simple
                              Type SampleType 'Used in VB
                              iInteger As Integer
                              sString As String * 5
                              lLong As Long
                              End Type
                              would be defined in PB as

Type PBSampleType
                              iInteger as Integer
                              sString as String * 5
                              bPadding as Byte
                              lLong as long
                              End Type
                              As VB does a unicode to ansi conversion on the string before passing it to PB then with the 1 byte padding all variables are on natural alignment, in particular in this case the lLong is now staring on a 4 byte boundary. I gues what PB forgets to point out is that all PB variables except internal members of a UDT are aligned to 4 byte boundries so the starting point of the PB UDT is always on a 4 byte boundry and padding can be easily worked out.
                              In the forum I referred to earlier you will see the the only Unicode - Ansi conversions I found problems with were fixed length string arrays.
                              Regards

------------------

Comment

posted June 09, 2000 05:25 AM
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                I fully understand the alignmet issues for UDT's in VB and PB (and others).. But is this a really stupid idea.? What I've done is to open a file in a ram drive, 'Put' my VB UDT and then call PB. PB opens the file and reads it into a byte array and does the fast stuff. No alignment problems!! and as far as i can tell it's faster than passing a pointer of the UDT and "padding" it in PB and lots less work.
                                Just a thought
                                Doug

------------------
                                Doug McDonald
                                KD5NWK
                                www.redforksoftware.com

Comment

Working...
                                X