list of bugs in the VB forms engine? What are these bugs that
    PBDLL kills dead? It is a big part of the PBDLL ad campaign,
    so someone must know what they are.

There used to be a very nice VB 5 bug list on the internet,
    but those evil guys at Microsoft went and released something
    called a "VB Service Pack" that fixed all the bugs that were
    listed at that bug list site, that spoiled everything! Now I
    do not have a VB 5 bug list that is current and I can not
    find any bugs in the VB 5 compiler and what fun is that?

Tim

------------------

Tim,

One for sure is that the PrintForm method does not always
    print the contents of controls. I have a Sub using API calls
    that I use instead. This was never fixed in VB5.

Andy Anderson
    [email protected]

------------------

Comment

I think you have to be a 'farmer-boy' to really appreciate that ad.
      I think 'BUG' 'DDT' and 'insecticide' is word related to each other

------------------
      Fred
      mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
      http://www.oxenby.se

Fred
      mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
      http://www.oxenby.se

Comment

I think the "kills VB Bugs dead" thing was intended as pure marketing hyperbole.

After all, if I write something in VB, and it has bugs, purchasing PB/DLL does nothing to fix the bugs in VB, does it?

Even if I rewrite my VB-program in PB/DLL, it STILL does not do anything about the bugs in VB!

It's cute, not gospel. (Cute, of course, is relative).

MCM

Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
        Racine WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

PrintForm. . . thanks Andy I did not know about that one.

DDT Stray was outlawed by the federal government. . . It killed
          birds (like Eagles) that feed on fish that were full of DDT.
          DDT Spray sort of has a bad name.

Maybe they could add OOP to DDT and call it:
          Form Enhanced Object Nomenclature
          FEON!

PBDLL FEON! Cool like FEON, but HOT like Global Warming!

Gases and Sprays are fun. . .

Tim

------------------

Comment

Tim,

If I got the drift of the original ads correctly, it was aimed at programmers
            who came into windows from DOS who found VB's endless gaggle of windows, popups,
            methods, terminology etc... very difficult to comprehend, IE: Forms = Bugz.

I remember the sheer relief after getting Visual Basic version 1 hot off the press
            of being able to go back into a C editor (DOS Pwb) and actually KNOW what was
            happening. Brilliant technology in terms of it dialog editor front end generator
            but toothless in the extreme and with more windows that an apartment building.

The appeal of DDT in this context was that you could CODE the controls onto a
            WINDOW and not have to deal with forms at all. Now while I think DDT technology
            is a lot more sophisticated that this usage and can do particularly useful things
            like putting dialogs into code without resource template dependence, it served
            the purpose in making coded windows and controls available to programmers who
            did not have a background in visual form generators.

Now we all know that the Billy and the boys and girls at the Evil Empire have a
            direct cable connection to hell and are being directly manipulated by its CEO
            through RAS so that each time the market adjusts to the last change of the rules
            and writes its software for future compatibility according to the way of the Evil
            Empire, they will change the rules again to ensure that the CEO of hell keeps
            the lion share of the programming market to themselves.

Just contemplate that when you waste a lot of your money and BUY .NET technology
            from the Evil Empire and learn how it works and start to service your customer
            base, they will change the rules again and run computers by direct sattelite or
            hand held cellular phones or whatever and you will need to do it all again.

Regards,

[email protected]

------------------
            hutch at movsd dot com
            The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Actually, from the first time I saw the cute little AD, I was bothered.
              Probably not many of you noticed, but the "bugs" being sprayed are not
              "bugs" at all, but Spiders, Class Arachnida, Order Araneae (consisting of
              about 35,000 species.)
              Bugs are insects. Actually; Class Insecta, Order Hemiptera known as the
              "true bugs". They consist of about 45,000 species and include some of our
              most destructive crop pests, such as aphids, leafhoppers, and scale insects.

Regards,

------------------
              [email protected]
              :) IRC :)

Comment

Hutch,
                a word about the "Evil Empire":
                I'm wondering because without that "Evil Empire" you'll have no platform to use
                your PB compilers (except the DOS one).
                Currently there is no LINUX compiler available. What happens if the next
                Windows generation will support only .NET technologies and compilers?
                You for yourself can migrate to LINUX for example (maybe then a PB LINUX version
                will be available). But what about your customers?? Will they all do the same?
                I guess no, and what would you do if you want to keep in business??
                Your meaning counts for yourself but not for the market, and the market
                is dominated by the "Evil Empire"

Regards

Peter

------------------

Comment

Peter,

I am sure you did not miss the "tongue in cheek" aspect of my comments
                  on the "Evil Empire" or the popularly held view that they are the "bad
                  guys" of 21st century software.

I am aware of a share of businesses who have shifted to UNIX to avoid
                  any form of Microsoft dependence and while the market at large is
                  dominated by Microsoft operating systems, there is an increasing fatigue
                  at being faced with repeated change at high cost in terms of both software
                  and minimum necessary hardware to keep up.

The more so because often the software is much larger, generally slower
                  and buggier than the older stuff that often worked well.

There is another scenario in the works at the moment as a consequence of
                  the conduct of the "Evil Empire" that has the US Government taking action
                  to break up the size of Microsoft. The decisions have continued to go
                  against them so I am not all that confident in their capacity to keep
                  shaping the computer maket in the future.

I see .NET technology as the next stage of Microsoft attempting to change
                  the rules again to try and maintain an economic advantage. I have the
                  current invitation from Microsoft to "Get straight answers on how to
                  realise the promise of Web-based solutions" sitting on my desk yet after
                  having seen enough of this stuff, I am not going to rush out and try and
                  set up "Microsoft .NET Enterprise Servers".

I am yet to see how people who perform large scale number crunching, CAD,
                  large high speed data bases, accounting software, scientific and engineering
                  calculations, payroll systems, security dependent data or a host of other
                  non-internet applications will benefit from yet another Microsoft runtime
                  DLL.

"Interconnectivity" (Yesteryear Microsoft Buzzword) does not mean much to a
                  vast number of computer users who run either stands alone machines or
                  dedicated networks that are not connected to the outside world of internet.

Can you imagine a defence system that was as buggy or leaky as most of the
                  current Microsoft operating systems or an airport that had a GP fault in
                  its busiest time of day ?

I have this chuckle that all of this stuff still hangs together with good
                  old fashioned low level number crunching with addresses, data sizes, asm
                  mnemonics and the like so I guess we will both be faced with the need to
                  continue writing "code" as against another Microsoft cypher for some time
                  to come yet.

Regards,

[email protected]

------------------
                  hutch at movsd dot com
                  The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

>>>
                    There is another scenario in the works at the moment as a consequence of
                    the conduct of the "Evil Empire" that has the US Government taking action
                    to break up the size of Microsoft. The decisions have continued to go
                    against them so I am not all that confident in their capacity to keep
                    shaping the computer maket in the future.
                    >>>

Well, actually MS has won most of the critical court decisions.
                    The latest was the refusal by the Supreme Court to hear the breakup
                    case, which was widely seen as a victory for MS.

That said, I think MS has stepped into the swamp a bit with .NET;
                    there is starting to be some backlash over the VB version, developers
                    are starting to look at other tools and MS is making itself very visible
                    on the newsgroups and other forums trying to explain and justify .NET.

.NET has a lot of potential, whether MS can deliver the promise and
                    keep the corporate VB developers is the key to it's success.

------------------
                    Mark Newman
                    Mark Newman

Comment

Working...
                    X