Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vikki Dawson
    Guest replied
    Found the order page Chris and as soon as I have a look at PB I'll decide whether I need to purchase that too.

Thanks,

------------------
    Vikki

Leave a comment:

• Vikki Dawson
    Guest replied
    I have to say I am very impressed with all the help you all have given today.

That is a plus towards purchasing PB/DLL in itself.

Don, I think you've hit it right on the head. For what my app does it works fairly speedy(I'll say fairly because onload it's a little slow on my P166), so right now at least speed is not an issue. However, I can see when I get into my other apps where speed will definitely be a factor.

Chris and Don, EZGUI looks like just what I need to be comfortable with PB/DLL. If I lose all these dratted dependencies and don't have to overload my poor brain with a lot of learning in a short period I'll be fine. From the example code on Chris' site it looks like I shouldn't have much trouble with that part at least.

Sven, I've emailed you to hear your thoughts on Fusion. I'll wait to make a decision on that until I hear from you. At this point no matter what it looks like I'll purchase PB/DLL and grab EZGUI(is it really free or did I miss something?) and get started on my next projects. Who knows with Edwins form tool I may be able to easily convert the existing project over to PB without a lot of trouble.

You guys are great and have really helped me to make my decision. As Wayne says, I won't be throwing away VB but it looks to me like my better option for right now is to use PB.

So, I guess you'll see me around when I run into trouble because I'm going to go ahead and at least get PB/DLL for right now.

Thanks to you all for all your help.

------------------
    Vikki

Leave a comment:

• Vikki Dawson
    Guest replied
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Edwin Knoppert:
    [B]Vikki,

Try my FreeDDT tool.

Thanks Edwin, I will check out FreeDDT. Your site is great by the way.

------------------
    Vikki

Leave a comment:

• Chris Boss
    replied
    Vikki;

EZGUI was created as an alternative for VB programmers who want
    to use PB. EZGUI apps can do things that would have required 2 or 3
    extra OCX's (ActiveX controls) in VB. EZGUI has its own Visual
    Designer as well.

Come visit our Online forum and ask our customers what they think
    of EZGUI !

EZGUI 1.0 was written using PB DLL 5.0 (a plug for PB!)

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Don Dickinson
    replied
    You might want to have a look at EZ GUI www.ezgui.com

The author (chris boss) is very active in these forums. His product makes dealing with forms a snap. Maybe not quite as easy as vb, but darn close.

DDT isn't bad either, though you need to be able to think of forms as text commands (e.g. put a text box at location 10, 20) instead of drawing them.

Per mixing vb and pb, that's ok, but it doesn't solve the original problem that you have with vb - the dependencies. If you were switching for speed reasons, this might be a good approach. But, if it's for eliminating dependencies, then you might want to look at using an all PB solution - DDT, EZGUI, whatever.

Best Regards,
    Don

------------------
    --Don
    www.basicguru.com/dickinson

Leave a comment:

• Sven Blumenstein
    replied
    @ Vikki:
    If you post your e-mail adress, I can send you a tip about Fusion Or just send me a mail: [email protected]

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Edwin Knoppert
    replied
    I heard several complaints about fushion.
    Like reinstalling problems etc..

------------------
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Edwin Knoppert
    replied
    Vikki,

Try my FreeDDT tool.
    It converts VB forms to several formats.
    The DDT version is the easiest to implement.
    (Then ignore the other outputs)
    Each scanned project generates at least a .DDT file with an example to get quick results.

It only generates DDT code to add controls on a provided DDT-dialog.
    (A procedure to create the dialog is also available)
    The handling of the controls is something you need to do yourself.
    Check the samples like PBNote etc.. how to do this..

Click the 'profile' icon above to check out my site if you want..

------------------
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Vikki Dawson
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Diamond:
    Why "change over"? Why not exploit the powers of BOTH? - isnt it about choosing the right tool for the job?
    Ive been programming in VB since i was about 12, and here ten years later Ive found PB. I use VB for the majority of my work - and all my GUI programs (im not very good with designing forms/dialogs using code only - which is why i rely on Visual Basic's visual editor)
    I do all my demo coding in PB/CC, as its just so easy and convenient to do simple things in a command prompt without having to worry about buttons and forms etc. My smaller GUI programs I'll do in PB\DLL, but only if the GUI is very simple.
    So i think you'd be crazy to choose VB over PB, or PB over VB - use both, because they both have very different specialties. PB's compiler leaves VB's compiler for dust, but VB's GUI designer leaves PB's DDT for dust, and so on, so you cant really compare the two - they both compliment each other beautifully though!
    VB and PB are like peas and carrots, and you can do some _serious_ cooking with both of them!

Best of luck,
    Wayne

[This message has been edited by Wayne Diamond (edited December 05, 2000).]
    Hi Wayne,

It confuses me because now I'm not sure which compiler I need. If I continue to create my GUI in VB(Can I convert the VB .frm files to PB DDT files?), what is the next step? Do I write and compile with PB/DLL or PBCC? Guess I need to go read again about the differences.

Thanks for your reply,

------------------
    Vikki

Leave a comment:

• Vikki Dawson
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Sven Blumenstein:
    Yes, there is now way to convert Forms except you rewrite you Program (correct me if anybody know a way *g*)

But, you can use a program called "Fusion". Read about it at www.bit-arts.com. This could be your solution.

regards,
    Sven

Hi Sven,

I did try out the demo of Fusion. The problem is that I couldn't get it to work as advertised. However, that was a year ago so maybe I'll go check it out again.

Thanks for you thoughts on this.

------------------
    Vikki

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Diamond
    replied
    Why "change over"? Why not exploit the powers of BOTH? - isnt it about choosing the right tool for the job?
    Ive been programming in VB since i was about 12, and here ten years later Ive found PB. I use VB for the majority of my work - and all my GUI programs (im not very good with designing forms/dialogs using code only - which is why i rely on Visual Basic's visual editor)
    I do all my demo coding in PB/CC, as its just so easy and convenient to do simple things in a command prompt without having to worry about buttons and forms etc. My smaller GUI programs I'll do in PB\DLL, but only if the GUI is very simple.
    So i think you'd be crazy to choose VB over PB, or PB over VB - use both, because they both have very different specialties. PB's compiler leaves VB's compiler for dust, but VB's GUI designer leaves PB's DDT for dust, and so on, so you cant really compare the two - they both compliment each other beautifully though!
    VB and PB are like peas and carrots, and you can do some _serious_ cooking with both of them!

Best of luck,
    Wayne

[This message has been edited by Wayne Diamond (edited December 05, 2000).]

Leave a comment:

• Sven Blumenstein
    replied
    Yes, there is now way to convert Forms except you rewrite you Program (correct me if anybody know a way *g*)

But, you can use a program called "Fusion". Read about it at www.bit-arts.com. This could be your solution.

regards,
    Sven

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Vikki Dawson
    Guest started a topic VB to PB

VB to PB

Hope this doesn't sound too stupid ),

I am currently thinking of making a change from VB to PB for Windows.

What I am wondering is how much of a language difference is there? How much of a difference in the user interface?

I am not an experienced programmer and don't remember any DOS Basic. I am a little experienced with VB in that I can do the baby stuff. Visually add a control and the code necessary to make it work. Create a fully working app in the visual environment. Haven't tried to draw any windows(CreateWindow/CreateWindowEx) or anything like that yet either.

I haven't delved into API yet. I've done some simple things SendMessage and WinHelp. That's the extent of that.

I am happy with the VB working environment and it's ease of use and ease of programming for the controls I use, it's just the end product(numerous dependency file installation to the end users machine) that is causing me to think of making this change.

Any comments on the similarities/differences, learning curve and your thoughts about PBDLL and PowerGEN that would help me make a decision would be appreciated.

I have an app finished in VB that I want to distribute, however, I won't distribute it will all it's dependencies(it'll be a throw-away if I can't convert it), so if I change over to PB is there a way for me to convert my forms and/or code over to PB or will I just have to totally rewrite it?

Thanks,

------------------
    Vikki
Working...
X