Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB/DLL and XML

Is this possible ??
    If so has anyone done it and how. I am just starting down the XML road and from the little I know,
    they appear to be incompatable technologies.

------------------

Barney --

On the contrary, PowerBASIC's powerful set of string-parsing functions make it an ideal language for dealing with XML!

XML is a data format. It is not inherently incompatible with any computer language, any more than HTML is, or BMP files, or anything else.

XML is really fairly simple. In fact I would consider it to be "human readable". You can usually look at the data and tell what it is supposed to do. It is similar to HTML in that it is 100% text, and it uses "tags" to delimit fields, but it allows the programmer to define their own tags, to define different types of data.

HTH.

-- Eric

------------------
    Perfect Sync: Perfect Sync Development Tools
    Email: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by Eric Pearson (edited December 04, 2000).]
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Winton:
      Is this possible ??
      If so has anyone done it and how. I am just starting down the XML road and from the little I know,
      they appear to be incompatable technologies.

Florent Heyworth made an excellent example of how to use James Clark's expat dll to parse XML in PB.
      It includes a translation of xmlparse.h for use with xmlparse.dll.
      I think it's in the source code forum?

--
      Best Regards
      Peter Scheutz

------------------
      Best Regards
      Peter Scheutz

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I found the Source Code archive (Forum7/HTML/000484.html) but the links failed. Does anyone know an alternate link ?. Its the parser info that I am looking for.

------------------

Comment

Older messages may be archived. Archives are still online, but in a different location. Use the Forum search function to find messages if a link fails.

------------------
          Tom Hanlin
          PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

originally posted by barney winton:
            thanks for the replies. i found the source code archive (forum7/html/000484.html) but the links failed. does anyone know an alternate link ?. its the parser info that i am looking for.

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...ad.php?t=28486

but the zip file link seems to be invalid now.
            maybe it's possible to persuade florent heyworth to repost?

more info and download of binary on expat at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/expat/

--
            best regards
            peter scheutz

------------------

[this message has been edited by peter scheutz (edited december 07, 2000).]
            Best Regards
            Peter Scheutz

Comment

Barney,

Sorry to chime in so late...

My wife is one of the architects of XML and XHTML (she's a member of the W3C and has written several books on HTML, XML, and XHTML). Most of the utilities she uses to do XML/XHTML testing are written in PowerBASIC.

In fact, our company (WebGeek, Inc.) is working on two commercial XML products... An XML data server and a DTD document checker.

Regular expressions in PowerBASIC are **FANTASTIC** for parsing XML.

--Dave

------------------
              Home of the BASIC Gurus
              www.basicguru.com
              Home of the BASIC Gurus
              www.basicguru.com

Comment

I just want to thank everyone who has replied to this topic and to wish everyone a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year for Year 1 of the new millenium
                I will probably pick up on this topic again shortly as I get deeper into XML.

Regards
                Barney

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X