Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CONTROL ADD IMAGE works fine with BMP but not RLE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONTROL ADD IMAGE works fine with BMP but not RLE?

Ive read through several POFFS posts that RLE files can be treated as if they were BMPs, ie. in the resource file:
    MYPIC BITMAP "MYPIC.BMP"
    and
    MYPIC BITMAP "MYPIC.RLE"
    should both work the same???

Ive got a BMP and RLE version of my picture... the BMP version displays fine, but the RLE version just displays as nothing but a black background in my program, even though ACDSee and Photoshop can both see the RLE as normal
    Any ideas whats going wrong? Ive used both Photoshop 5.0 and 5.5 to save the RLE's, both with the same result

------------------
    -

hi wayne --

using loadimage, i've found several cases where rle compressed bmp's could not be read.
    usually under nt.

i posted code in the souce code section to check for compressed bmps.
    it's here : check bmp is valid and not compressed

--
    best regards
    peter scheutz

[this message has been edited by peter scheutz (edited february 01, 2001).]
    Best Regards
    Peter Scheutz

Comment

I agree. I have found Windows support of Run Length Encoded bitmaps to be very spotty. (This is not a PB/DLL issue, per se. It's a Windows thing.)

The only Windows bitmap formats that even support RLE are 4-bit (16-color) and 8-bit (256 color) bitmaps, which are usually relatively small to begin with. For example, a 16x16x256-color bitmap for a toolbar would be around 350 bytes, which is probably not worth compressing. Of course, larger bitmaps can be more problematic...

-- Eric

------------------
      Perfect Sync: Perfect Sync Development Tools
      Email: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by Eric Pearson (edited February 01, 2001).]
      "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Hmm bugger
        I was hoping to use RLE's because both the PBR and EXE file are about a quarter of the size, but I guess I'll just have to stick to BMPs
        Thanks very much for the info regarding this
        Best regards,
        Wayne

------------------
        -

Comment

Working...
        X