Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo-realistic GUI

I see a lot of cool control GUI's where the knobs, sliders,
    LED's etc. actually resemble the real thing.
    Is this achieved by simply manipulating pre-drawn bitmap images
    of the various elements or is there some form of utility out
    there to simplify this?

Thanks for any advice.

Craig Webster

------------------

Craig,

Most of the time this kind of photo-realistic GUI use "Skin" technology.
    The whole GUI is splited in several bitmap pieces matching each of
    the GUI components. And you must use a "Skin" engine program to handle
    everything.
    Look at this url there are several interface examples:
    http://www.zapsolution.com/winlift/gallery.htm

------------------
    Patrice Terrier
    mailto[email protected][email protected]</A>
    Patrice Terrier
    www.zapsolution.com
    www.objreader.com
    Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

Hi Patrice,

I think I was one of your first customers for Winlift but this is
      not what I am looking for. I want to develop a user interface
      that resembles a hardware component.

The following link will give you an idea of what I want to
      achieve.
      http://www.sonictimeworks.com/products.html

Regards,

Craig Webster

------------------

Comment

Craig, those images are based on similar technology.

For instance, here is a C++ demo with source code...

http://www.planet-source-code.com/xq...s/ShowCode.htm

Check out the "Wet Logo", that is really Cool!

p.s. When starting the EXE, check your Tray for a Green Icon.

Regards,
        Jules
        Best regards
        Jules
        www.rpmarchildon.com

Comment

Craig,

As Jules said this kind of stuff uses the same technology.
          But it needs to create a dedicated skin for each of the interface.
          Also it uses static windows that is somewhere easier to handle than
          dynamic windows (resized windows).
          You must first design the bitmap with all the components (the artistic
          part of the job) then create hot spots on this bitmap matching
          the components and paint them in order to react to user input.

This could be done with a dedicated engine but not with multi
          purpose tools like WinLIFT or WindowBlinds. The hard work is to create
          a standard UIS (User Interface Specification) to be able to change
          the skin on the fly.

It is the kind of job i love to do, but it is very time consuming

------------------
          Patrice Terrier
          mailto[email protected][email protected]</A>
          Patrice Terrier
          www.zapsolution.com
          www.objreader.com
          Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

I'm surprised that no one has suggested owner-draw and/or custom controls as an alternative to a "skin".

------------------
            Lance
            PowerBASIC Support
            mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
            Lance
            mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Yes, should be easy to do, but remember, while it may look nice,
              it isn't always the best solution for a screen. A place I worked
              for in the past ordered a piece of software from a team of developers
              here in Sweden. They did a photo-realistic interface, just like these
              and it was almost un-usable. They had to remake it and use standard
              Windows controls instead, because we found it both cluttered and
              hard to control with the mouse.

Not that same thing, turning a knob in real life, compared to do
              it with a mouse and since meters responded fast, all one saw was
              that thin line, flickering back and forth on the screen. Screen
              resolution isn't the same as real life view, so anything small or
              thin becomes impossible to work professionally with, on daily basis..

------------------

Comment

I would not recommend dismissing such techniques simply based on the experience with one (obviously very poor) implementation.

I've seen some stunning owner drawn controls which were both usable and easy to use.

------------------
                Lance
                PowerBASIC Support
                mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
                Lance
                mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Lance--

>> I'm surprised that no one has suggested owner-draw
                  >> and/or custom controls as an alternative to a "skin".

Most professionnal skin engine I know do use owner-draw and custom controls.
                  And at least WinLIFT does

Custom controls is the ultimate way to go if you want to have
                  full control on everything.
                  But as I said already, you must create a UIS that will allow to change
                  the bitmap components without changing the EXE.
                  The capability of changing the interface without changing the code,
                  and the programming logic, is the main feature of a "Skin" engine.

------------------
                  Patrice Terrier
                  mailtot[email protected][email protected]</A>
                  Patrice Terrier
                  www.zapsolution.com
                  www.objreader.com

Comment

Originally posted by Borje Hagsten:
                    Yes, should be easy to do, but remember, while it may look nice,
                    it isn't always the best solution for a screen. A place I worked
                    for in the past ordered a piece of software from a team of developers
                    here in Sweden. They did a photo-realistic interface, just like these
                    and it was almost un-usable. They had to remake it and use standard
                    Windows controls instead, because we found it both cluttered and
                    hard to control with the mouse.

Not that same thing, turning a knob in real life, compared to do
                    it with a mouse and since meters responded fast, all one saw was
                    that thin line, flickering back and forth on the screen. Screen
                    resolution isn't the same as real life view, so anything small or
                    thin becomes impossible to work professionally with, on daily basis..

Oh I can show you many examples that work very well indeed.

I can achieve the desired result by manipulating pre-drawn bitmap
                    images (using PB-DLL and Perfect-Sync) but I am wondering if that
                    is the long-winded way. Just my luck to invest months in a
                    development to find that there was a much more simple, direct way.

My application will run on a dedicated machine so I don't have to
                    worry about interacting with other app's or re-sizing. I just want
                    to produce several, rich, photo-realistic panels with big, chunky,
                    3D knobs, switches, and meters (I use touch-screens).
                    I also want to be able to switch from one panel to another
                    instantly (as I did in DOS on a 386-25)without the annoying
                    Windows sputter.

Thanks for the replies.

Craig Webster

------------------

Comment

Craig;

Looking at the URL you posted (for examples) , I can almost guarantee
                      you the developers of such software "didn't" make those PhotoRealistic
                      controls themselves. Most likely they are ActiveX controls and I wouldn't
                      be surprised to find that the apps are written using VB.

The advantage of ActiveX controls is that you can buy these real
                      great looking controls from other companies and just simply plug them
                      into your VB app. Most VB programmers don't make their own custom controls,
                      but they buy a bunch of ActiveX controls from other companies.

The same thing can be done with PB, using custom controls in DLL
                      form, but the problem is that most companies that build custom
                      controls usually only make them as ActiveX. There are a few companies
                      that make their custom controls as both ActiveX and DLLs.

I would start searching for custom controls and buy what you need.
                      If you can't find what you want in DLL form, then buy ActiveX controls
                      and use the third party tool (I forget the name) available for
                      integrating ActiveX controls in a PB app.

I wouldn't even attempt to write your own at this point, since
                      companies that make such controls put a lot of time effort into
                      writing such things and it would be very hard to produce something
                      of such high quality in a short period of time.

If you must write your own custom controls, you will have to do some
                      serious research into writing custom controls and using the GDI.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris Boss (edited March 06, 2001).]
                      Chris Boss
                      Computer Workshop
                      Developer of "EZGUI"
                      http://cwsof.com
                      http://twitter.com/EZGUIProGuy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boss:
                        Craig;

I would start searching for custom controls and buy what you need.
                        If you can't find what you want in DLL form, then buy ActiveX controls
                        and use the third party tool (I forget the name) available for
                        integrating ActiveX controls in a PB app.

I think that would be the JAZZage product(?)

I once emailed the author of one of these GUI's and his reply was
                        that he used a well know paint-type program (!??)

Left me wondering how he made it DO things. So I assumed that he
                        painted the various elements in different states and simply
                        overlaid the BMP images as required.

I will take your advice and search for ActiveX components.

Thank you.

Craig Webster

------------------

Comment

Craig,

Check out just the skins used for WinAmp, you will see the complexity
                          of what is required from the programmers point of view. Down load one of
                          the skins and just browse thru each component that makes up the skin.

I like Lances' suggestion, maybe we should make a few custom controls, for
                          one I like Knobs and LED's (just because I use them in my own hardware projects).

http://www.1001winampskins.com/

Regards,
                          Jules
                          Best regards
                          Jules
                          www.rpmarchildon.com

Comment

All I know is, I'd like to "skin" whoever it was who came up with the stupid things in the first place...

Since Craig's application sounds like it's for an information kiosk, or some other dedicated device where there's no need for consistency with any other program(s) on the system, it's probably not such a bad thing, but I really don't like seeing them used on "standard" Windows applications... wasn't one of the main ideas of Windows (and MacOS, for that matter) to provide a consistent user interface across all applications?

(Sorry, but I think these "real-world object" interfaces are one of the most gawdawful inventions I've ever had the displeasure to tangle with, and I adamantly refuse to use any program which uses them if I can avoid it. The fact that I - a self-admitted "cheap bastard" and proud of it - willingly spent $400 for ULead Media Studio Pro, just to get away from the "photo-realistic GUI" of the video-editing program that came with my firewire card, should tell you how much I loathe them...)

------------------

Comment

A consistent user interface? Oh, you mean like the Find function in Microsoft
                              programs, which is consistently Alt-S, or Ctrl-H, or Ctrl-F, or Alt-E F, or
                              maybe not available from the keyboard?

------------------
                              Tom Hanlin
                              PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Jules Marchildon:
                                Craig,

Check out just the skins used for WinAmp, you will see the complexity
                                of what is required from the programmers point of view. Down load one of
                                the skins and just browse thru each component that makes up the skin.

I like Lances' suggestion, maybe we should make a few custom controls, for
                                one I like Knobs and LED's (just because I use them in my own hardware projects).

http://www.1001winampskins.com/

Regards,
                                Jules
                                That's gorgeous stuff (IMO). Is that not possible with Winlift?

I searched for ActiveX controls and found http://www.mediabuilder.com/8801.html

But, again, I want rotating knobs, LED's, etc.

Thanks again

Craig Webster

------------------

Comment

Someone already has posted an excellent base for a rotating knob
                                  control. Just add whatever graphics you need. As for Led's. Simple
                                  STATIC control and a couple of images loaded into memory is all it
                                  takes via STM_SETIMAGE. Can become very realistic with little work.

Same goes for user interface - paint an image on to the dialog's
                                  background. Jules recently posted an excellent button sample with
                                  buttons of all shapes and colors. Using regions and loaded images,
                                  almost any control can be made to look photo-realistic, but question
                                  still remains - is it worth it?

For games, yes. For simple utilities, maybe. For advanced applications,
                                  usually no, because software always becomes harder to work with, the
                                  more cluttered and "non-standard" it is..

(He, who am I to talk - working on next version of Poffs here and have
                                  written several new custom controls for it, all "non-standard"..

------------------

Comment

Well, see, there's another good reason not to use Microsoft programs. All the (non-Microsoft) applications I've used have, to date, pretty consistently used CTRL-F as a shortcut to the "Find" function, or ALT-E-F if you insist on pulling down the whole menu first...

Seriously, though, the "consistency" I was thinking of is the basic consistency of what a button looks like, what a listbox or a scrollbar looks like, where the menu bar can be found, and so on. The video-editing software I referred to earlier is a good example: ULead's "consumer" package, called Video Studio, uses one of those "skinned" interfaces, and so do the newer versions of MGI VideoWave. I defy you to install either of those programs and know, without having to move the mouse pointer over every single button and wait for the tooltips to pop up, how to do something as simple as opening an already-existing AVI or MPEG file. I further defy you to figure out how to open two files, join them together, and save the result to a new file without again moving the pointer around every single control in turn, since some of the controls change function depending on the operation in progress and none of the controls are labeled!

It took me no less than an entire evening to do the simple operation referenced above, because I was constantly having to pull up the online help or read through the manual to remind myself what the half-dozen round buttons with the aesthetically-pleasing, but utterly non-intuitive symbols did. By contrast, when I installed Media Studio Pro - the program which uses the "normal" Windows interface - I was capturing and editing video within the hour... (and a lot of that time was actually spent trying to figure out which "camera-control" driver my camcorder wanted, not trying to figure out which unlabeled button the "Camera Properties" menu was hiding behind. )

Now, fancy controls can have their place - even Media Studio Pro has a couple of them, on the "video preview" windows - but only where it's clearly obvious what the control is and what it's for. (Such as MSP's "jog/shuttle knob" control to move back and forth through a clip - the use of which is not only obvious to anyone who's used any higher-end VCR of recent vintage, but easily grasped by anyone who hasn't seen one before since the control only has one purpose that never changes.)

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                    X