No announcement yet.

Max number of directories on XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The database here is Btrieve, which is why I'm dancing around an SQL implementation. Most of the companies are still on 6.15 and see no reason to change.
    I have always said applications software has a finite life, and that sooner or later you have to 'bite the bullet' and rewrite it starting with a blank page.

After years and years of adding new features, you reach a point where adding still more features - features never envisioned when the system was first designed - becomes so difficult and expensive that 'rewrite' makes the most economic sense.

Maybe you are not there yet, but it sure sounds like you are in the home stretch.

MCM
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems (retired)
    Port Washington WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Michael,

We've been building a multi-currency version of our financial software that uses MS SQL for database tables and will use TSUNAMI tables for local work area private files. TSUNAMI has a call method almost exactly like btrcall. All this is encapsulated in the include files that do data retrieval etc. We opted to for the most part map the codes used by our btrieve app and converted them to dynamically built sql statements with SQL Tools.

I used the DDF files to auto create the CREATE TABLE, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE etc statements to replace the btrieve actions get greater than or equal and get next. The codes in btrieve are 9 and 6. With the 9 I generated an SQL cursor for all records in the MSSQL >= the key and the code 6 is just a fetch next record. It's more involved than that of course. I also use soft-locks so I can inform other users which user has their record locked. All cursors are forward only. If a generated SQL statement proves to be slow, I'll just write an optimized, parameterized query or stored procedure for the SQL version.

Before doing all the SQL stuff I relied heavily on all the fine examples by Jose Roca for ADO, ODBC etc. Simply could not have done it without his examples.

Once we've got the routines down for the multi-currency product, we'll convert our main product to MS SQL.

New customers are turned off by btrieve and/or Pervasive but our existing customers would not have it any other way.

All our Web products are fully VB.NET and MS SQL already. I just fill the SQL tables from our btrieve based financial product using SQL Tools.

The way I'm writing all of this requires only an ini file with a connection string to signal the app that we're using SQL instead of btrieve, same include files.

It's more work, but we don't feel we can force our existing customers to go to the extra expense of buying MS SQL. Also doing it this way allows to move incrementally to SQL without terminating the btrieve option should people want that route.

Bob Mechler

Comment

I think I see what you mean.

"Here is an upgrade... FREE to you good customers on maintenance.

"By the way, to install this free upgrade you'll need MS SQL Server.... and I think we can get you into that for about 25 kilobucks."

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.mspx

MCM
        (But I think I'd still be 'preparing' the users for this step. After all, if they want to "GO BIG" then getting a premium DBMS is probably not too unreasonable a request.

But interesting enough, my closest direct competitor for the Provider Payment Partner(tm) System DOES require you have either M/S SQL Server or Oracle.... but in fairness, the Rycan Remittance Reporter has a LOT more features than does PPPS.

Rycan is for like really big hospitals and service bureaus... PPPS is for SMALL hospitals, nursing homes and hospices, plus "reasonably small" group practices (1-30 or so professionals).
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems (retired)
        Port Washington WI USA
        [email protected]s.com
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Working...
        X