Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dialog measurements

Fellows,

I've searched the forums and found a lot (too much, to be honest) of information on the subject DDT-dialogs, their measurements, dialog units versus pixels etc. etc.
    But, unfort. I did'nt find that one-and-only simple trick to create dialogs that always fit on every screen resolution.
    I understand there is a relation with de default font. So the following 'formula' should do the trick, is'nt it?:
    1. Create a dummy dialog (measurements x and y to be 0)
    2. Retrieve the size of the text to display in a label, on a button or whatsoever
    3. Translate this size from pixel format to dialog unit format
    4. Resize the dummy dialog and/or control (and re-center it, because when resizing a dialog it does not stay in its original place - odd thing!?)
    5. Finally, display the dialog (DIALOG SHOW)

Can someone provide this code or give me a hint in the right direction? My dialogs are always very 'sharp' on the machine I use to create them, but on other machines the same dialogs sometimes show up with invisible text, too small buttons and that sort of things.
    Desperately yours,

------------------
    mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
    www.basicguru.com/zijlema/

Egbert Zijlema, journalist and programmer (zijlema at basicguru dot eu)
    http://zijlema.basicguru.eu
    *** Opinions expressed here are not necessarily untrue ***

Egbert,

I don't understand how EXACT setup you need for your dialogs. Sometimes I write code that must be translated into other languages... strings are not the same length.

What I like in Dialogs is I have not to consider the font size: it's enough to know 4 horizontal units match the average width of one character (see GetDialogBaseUnits). You must consider also the borders, frames...

I think it is better to have items a little bit larger than a little bit smaller.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Aldo Cavini (edited March 26, 2001).]
    Rgds, Aldo

Comment

For simple dialogs, no problem. As soon as one start mixing CONTROL ADD
      and CreateWindow, plus adding lists and buttons with text, big problems.

Only way, as I see it, is trial-and-error method, where you set your
      computer to use big/small fonts and add code to grab sizes/locations
      and resize-relocate according to results. I have just added something
      like the following to the beta of Poffs2, to enable resizing, etc, in
      main dialog's WM_SIZE event. While it doesn't cover all aspects, like
      extreme user-defined settings, it enables covering the two most common
      ones, big or small fonts.
      Code:
      CASE %WM_SIZE
        hdc = GetDC (hDlg)
        IF GetDeviceCaps(hDC, %LOGPIXELSY) = 96 THEN
           'small fonts, use CONTROL GET/SET SIZE or LOC one way
        ELSE
           'big or user defined fonts - usually even bigger than big..
           'use CONTROL GET/SET SIZE or LOC other way
        END IF
        CALL ReleaseDC hDlg, hdc)

------------------

Comment

... While it doesn't cover all aspects, like extreme user-defined settings...
        In my experience, as soon as you give a user ANY setting or option, "extreme" becomes the norm.

Some kind of cosmic force or something....

MCM

Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems (retired)
        Port Washington WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

In general, if your dialogs use the system font, you won't have any problems, since that font is used to determine the dialog size at runtime by the Windows dialog engine.

If you have to use other fonts, you'll need to dynamically resize your controls accordingly. This is no easy task, but it is not impossible.

The concept of create dialog-based apps is to create dialogs that look the same as other windows apps. Using non-standard fonts is considered "poor practice" since you are deviating from GUI design fundamentals... YMMV of course, and you are obviously free to choose your own route.

Similarly, creating User Interfaces with "skins" is also considered a no-no by the Windows programming purists. Again, YMMV!!!

------------------
          Lance
          PowerBASIC Support
          Lance
          mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Lance,

I don't use fonts when creating dialogs. In other words, only the system default font is involved. As far as text is a concern, I'm using a GetTextExtent function now, as follows:
            1. create an invisible dialog with zero-measurements.
            2. pass a piece of text (actually: the largest string to use in the dialog or in a control) thru the GetTextExtent function, in order to retrieve values for cx and cy.
            3. close the dialog (DIALOG END hDlg)
            4. convert cx and cy from pixels to units
            5. finally create the real thing

It works acceptable, although not perfect. In most cases labels and/or text boxes ar far too wide for the text. But better too wide than too narrow.
            The cy-parameter, by the way, returns 10 du's for text height. I thought it ought to be 9 and I see Petzold even using 8 when creating radio buttons. What is the correct value?

BTW: Later today I'll replace my message box functions in the source code forum with a module using this 'new' technique.

So far about text. But what when bitmaps are involved? I have a dialog that shows a bitmap. The text labels available are not fit to retrieve cx and cy measurements, because they only use the rigth 'half' of the dialog. How can you be sure about the correct measurements?
            Sometimes I have the impression that creating dialogs is a just matter of throwing dice instead of 'math and science'.

------------------

Comment

The "standard" button control (push, radio, etc) height is usually 14 dialog units, so there should be plenty of room for the system font.

I gather you mean GetTextExtentPoint32() rather than GetTextExtent() ? I assume you are getting the DC to the dialog before this?

I'm afraid I don't understand your comments about bitmaps and using 1/2 of the dialog width. When dealing with bitmaps, you either have the choice of resizing the dialog to fit the bitmap, or StretchBlt'ing the bitmap to fit the dialog. The latter is preferable, since you can determine the dialog size based on the text, rather than the bitmap dimensions.

------------------
              Lance
              PowerBASIC Support
              Lance

Comment

Lance,

Indeed: GetTextExtentPoint32(). I did'nt use the official name, but wrote about 'a' GetTextExtent function.

Now about the dialog with the bitmap (hope I can make myself clear enough):
                The dialog is divided into 2 parts, not really on a 50:50 base. The left 'half' of the dialog is a picture. So, when I retrieve the cx-value for the text in the right part I only know how large or wide this 'half' should be.
                But how does a programmer know in advance what the correct measurements for the bitmap-part of the dialog should be?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Egbert Zijlema (edited March 28, 2001).]

Comment

Well, if you know how large the text 'side' has to be, and you want to use 50% of the width for the text, you know you are going to be using approx. the same width for the bitmap. If you use StretchBlt() to display the bitmap, where is the problem? (aspect ratios and stretching issues aside).

What I mean is this: if you really must use the absolute size of the bitmap, you are going to have problems (since a 640x460 bitmap is very small when BltBit()'ed to a 1280 pixel display, compared to an 800 pixel display.

I still suggest that you have to choose whether to base the size on the text OR the bitmap, but probably not both. Alternatively, supply different bitmaps for each resolution if the StretchBlt() method is not appropriate for you.

------------------
                  Lance
                  PowerBASIC Support
                  Lance

Comment

Egbert;

In DDT, the default font used is the MS Sans Serif 8 pt and not the System font.
                    Windows created using CreateWindowEx will use the System Font by default.
                    When the system is set to Small Fonts, the character size for DDT
                    Dialogs is 6 x 13 pixels !

(note: I have done extensive testing of this for my Visual Designers)

A Dialog Unit is :

Horizontal - 1/4 of the Character Size of Dialogs Font
                    Vertical - 1/8 of the Character Size of Dialogs Font

The problem with GetTextExtentPoint32 is that you must make sure
                    the DC used for the calculation is the DC for the actual Dialog and
                    that the mapping mode is set correctly so it returns Dialog Units
                    and not Pixels (or something else).

When you look at the Petzoid code, likely he is working with SDK
                    style Windows (using CreateWindowEx) and by default the mapping mode
                    for such Windows is MMTEXT which means pixels.

You may want to calculate the width for your text using Pixels and
                    then use the appropriate DDT commands to convert Pixels to Dialog
                    Units. This means you can use the Desktops DC to calculate the text
                    size for a string using the MS Sans Serif 8 pt font (select this font
                    into the desktops DC) and return pixels and then create your DDT
                    Dialogs to a default size, but before you execute the Dialog Show command
                    simply resize the Dialog and its controls, by using the Pixels to Dialog Units
                    conversion available to DDT.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris Boss (edited March 28, 2001).]
                    Chris Boss
                    Computer Workshop
                    Developer of "EZGUI"
                    http://cwsof.com
                    http://twitter.com/EZGUIProGuy

Comment

Folks,

I replaced my message box functions in the source code forum with a newer one.
                      I'm using GetTextExtentPoint32 now to get width and height. Also, a MsgDlg can process 3 lines for the message now.
                      And! I've added 2 new message styles, which Windows does not supply.

Aldo,
                      In the BtnText function I almost finished the 'Italian' buttons. After you add 4 or 5 correct names, the functions should work correctly in Italy and the Italian part of Switzerland.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Egbert Zijlema (edited March 28, 2001).]

Comment

The problem with GetTextExtentPoint32 is that you must make sure
                        the DC used for the calculation is the DC for the actual Dialog and
                        that the mapping mode is set correctly so it returns Dialog Units...
                        This should not be possible since Windows does not use dialog units.
                        The functions that work on the dialog scripts(templates) converts
                        dialog units to pixels and DS_XXX to WS_XXX before the real api goes
                        to work.

------------------
                        Dominic Mitchell
                        Dominic Mitchell
                        Phoenix Visual Designer
                        http://www.phnxthunder.com

Comment

Working...
                        X