ActiveX Web Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ActiveX Web Control

I have an OpenGL program that I would like to run "inside" a Web browser (similar to Macromedia Flash). How hard is it to encapsulate a Windows app into an ActiveX control? Is this something PowerBASIC can even do?

Thanks,
    Flick
    www.globalheavyindustries.com

Bryan, I hope this thread gets some good answers, I'm interested too,

here's some code to launch a client based exe from a web page, you should be able to launch it within a desired posistion in the page using the <object> tag, (I beleve, never done it)

but the real problem is supporting the other browsers, ActiveX only works in IE

Code:
    <html>

<head><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
    function runApp() 
    { 
    var shell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.shell"); 
    shell.run("notepad.exe", 1, 1);  
    } 
    </script></head>
    <body>
    <input type="button" name="button1" value="Run plugin" onClick="runApp()" />

</body>

</html>

Comment

but the real problem is supporting the other browsers, ActiveX only works in IE
      Thanks for the code snippet Brad.

Does anyone have any idea how something like Flash works? I thought it was an ActiveX control, but I think it works in IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc. Any idea how they do that?

Thanks,
      Flick

Comment

Flash is basically a VM that run some sort of Bytecode.
        Check this Wikipedia page about ActionScript, the language used to write Flash applications:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActionScript

There are some samples, info, and useful links to open / free development tools.

Bye!
        Last edited by Marco Pontello; 6 Feb 2008, 07:59 PM.
        -- The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it.

File Extension Seeker - Metasearch engine for file extensions / file types
        Online TrID file identifier | TrIDLib - Identify thousands of file formats

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan Flick View Post
          Thanks for the code snippet Brad.

Does anyone have any idea how something like Flash works? I thought it was an ActiveX control, but I think it works in IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc. Any idea how they do that?

Thanks,
          Flick
          I believe Flash player is written as a dll/exe (for windows). Each browser provides a plug-in capability. Flash wrapper is used to wrap the main flash player DLL. I am not positive about this, but is based on some research.

Also consider Mac, and Linux. Adobe writes code for these OS as well. I also believe that the core flash player runs on all platforms. There are helper files to operate within the given OS platform parameters.

This is only a guess. I have now inside knowledge.

Comment

I believe Flash player is written as a dll/exe (for windows). Each browser provides a plug-in capability. Flash wrapper is used to wrap the main flash player DLL.
            That sounds like what I am looking for. I tried to Google for "IE plugin development" but it sounds like there is a lot of COM (which I know little about) and ATL (which I know nothing about) involved.

If possible, I would like to write a "wrapper" plugin in C++, that in turn calls a PowerBASIC DLL which contains the actual code. I think that may be the easiest way (as I can't think of a 100% PowerBASIC solution at the moment).

Anyone have any ideas if this is the right approach?

Thanks,
            Flick

Comment

I found the following link that shows an ActiveX OpenGL control...

http://www.sulaco.co.za/opengl_proje...GL_ActiveX.htm

Is something like this possible with PowerBASIC? Or would I have to use a different language (C++ or Delphi, for example) to use as a wrapper of a PowerBASIC DLL?

Thanks,
              Flick

Comment

This is a relatively lightweight OCX, therefore, writing something similar in PowerBASIC is doable. It requires quite a bit of knowledge of low level COM though. You will have to hand code the IDL file, but that is not difficult.
                Dominic Mitchell
                Phoenix Visual Designer
                http://www.phnxthunder.com

Comment

Working...
                X