Announcement

Collapse

Maintenance

The forum could be offline for 30-60 minutes in the very near future for maintenance (said 3pm Pacific). I was behind on getting this notice. I do apologize.
See more
See less

winhelp32.exe fails with windowsvista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winhelp32.exe fails with windowsvista

Hello all,

Is there as working file ???

Does winvista supports the Commands at all?

I´ve problems with FindWindow() - does not find the minisized window.

Thanks

Matthias Kuhn

I´ve found a solution in the forum:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607.

and it work´s well.

bye

Matthias Kuhn

Comment

Kinda odd that M$ would also state in the KB
      Also, third-party programs that include .hlp files are no longer allowed to redistribute this Windows Help program
      Then how the <insert explative here> are we supposed to know how to SDK and Windows API's? Its bad enough with (till you get used to it) but WITHOUT help files documenting such things?

I am seriously starting to think Billy G has either given up? or thinks he does not need programmers to make M$ profitable anymore

As a side note, does that mean that PB will no longer be allowed to redistribute WinHlp32 in future versions? or will it only apply if the program is used on Vista?
      Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Comment

win32.hlp (last update: 1996) was superceded by the MSDN collection of CHM files. I tend to use it as a quick reference, but for in depth detail on each API, you can't beat a Google search + MSDN combination.
        kgpsoftware.com | Slam DBMS | PrpT Control | Other Downloads | Contact Me

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff Nichols View Post
          Then how the <insert explative here> are we supposed to know how to SDK and Windows API's? Its bad enough with (till you get used to it) but WITHOUT help files documenting such things?

I am seriously starting to think Billy G has either given up? or thinks he does not need programmers to make M$ profitable anymore

As a side note, does that mean that PB will no longer be allowed to redistribute WinHlp32 in future versions? or will it only apply if the program is used on Vista?
          WinHelp was replaced by HTML Help when Windows 98 was released. If you're trying to use the Win32 API help file, that reference is absolutely ancient and is definitely should not be considered authoritative for Windows 2000 and later systems (there are functions that were available on older versions of Windows 9x and Windows NT that have been deprecated and shouldn't be used any longer). For the current API reference, you should go here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/default.aspx

The Microsoft Developer's Network (MSDN) is one-stop shopping for everything Windows. As far as the WinHelp format itself is concerned, it's long dead and shouldn't be used. There's no restriction on redistributing help in the old format; what you can't do is redistribute the WinHelp viewer for Vista. Vista users have to go to download and install their own copy from Microsoft; you can't just include in your own software and install it automatically. In short, Microsoft decided to drive the final stake through the heart of WinHelp. Personally, I don't mourn its passing; I think they should have dumped support for it when Windows 2000 was released.
          Last edited by Mike Stefanik; 10 Feb 2008, 01:40 AM.
          Mike Stefanik
          sockettools.com

Comment

As a side note, does that mean that PB will no longer be allowed to redistribute WinHlp32 in future versions?
            Why would that be of concern? You (presumably) already have your copy.

And if a new PB user can't find this file or something else with the same info available for download or on-line reference 'somewhere' with an Internet search engine, my guess is he/she will be winnowed out from the "Windows programmer" demographic group anyway. Quickly.

MCM
            Last edited by Michael Mattias; 10 Feb 2008, 09:32 AM.
            Michael Mattias
            Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
            Racine WI USA
            [email protected]
            http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

CHM help doesn't seem to support formatted pop-up help boxes (only plain text ones). The documentation for Help&Manual suggests distributing a HLP file for these even when the main help is CHM (it calls this dual mode help, and apparently this was used by MS themselves until recently). However, dual mode help presumably won't work with out-of-the-box Vista.

Is there a solution, or has Microsoft decided that all pop-up help must from now on be unformatted and without graphics?

Comment

There is a work around - Borje's "built-in popup help" posted in 2001, it should be easily customized:

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...ad.php?t=23123
                kgpsoftware.com | Slam DBMS | PrpT Control | Other Downloads | Contact Me

Comment

Thanks Kev, but Borje's code is still only plain text. It would be a lot of extra work to add bold, graphics, links, etc., which were all standard in the pop-up help available using the HLP (Winhelp) format.

What is Microsoft playing at, taking this useful feature away?

Comment

The step from *.hlp to *.chm was nothing but a marketing move to promote IE, because IE's rendering engine lies behind HTMLHelp (HH.exe).

Comment

Working...
                    X