Vista temp and system folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista temp and system folders

I wrote a setup program a long while ago that uses mkdir to create the program folder (under
    %csidl_program_files location) and it has always worked great in XP.
    Now my setup program will no longer create the folder in VISTA!
    Also, my temporary files, which I send successfully to the windows temporary folder, can't startup the extracted setup program to install the program!
    Anybody know what this problem is??
    Jim
    Jim Seekamp

UAC

The problem is things that worked good in the past, the "Black Hats" turned to their advantage and VISTA made an "ATTEMPT" (a poor one at that) to stop future use and abuse.

I am sure someone else here can explain the pitfalls and shortcomings of what to do and what NOT to do when supporting each operating system (including what I call "Asta-La-VISTA")

(Fair warning though...you will get a lot of advice of "This Installer vs That Installer" type of thing, but that's if you want to use a 3rd party to fix the problem. (Hey they spent the time learning and doing, so shwyyyaaa not?), but I am a guy that I would rather not introduce more variables (nomatter how good they are at the right answer). So its a matter of the time you want to invest in learning, vs "Getting the job done")

To date, my best answer to customers (until there is enough of them) and my workload. Complaints of "Everytime I run the program it runs the same basic setup" and my reply is "Cancel after <certain point> and the rest will operate fine"....and all of this is because of depending on where they are running from and their permissions, and if a Ini file is allowed or not

Bad of me I know, but the < 1% of users, can not dictate the time wasted making them happy when the other 99% just want the app to work
    Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Comment

Working...
    X