Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error 496 with Windows Vista 64bit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Error 496 with Windows Vista 64bit

    Hi
    When I try to recompile a program the error number 496 come up and halt the recompiling process. I have PowerBasic 8.04.
    How I can resolve this problem?

  • #2
    For some reason, your program didn't end properly and it's still rattling around in memory somewhere.

    Bring up Task Manager, find it and "End Process".
    There are no atheists in a fox hole or the morning of a math test.
    If my flag offends you, I'll help you pack.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mel Bishop View Post
      For some reason, your program didn't end properly and it's still rattling around in memory somewhere.

      Bring up Task Manager, find it and "End Process".
      Yes you are right.
      I have the same problem with all compiled programs (I have also tried with the example named "Hello.bas"). I think that PowerBasic exit in a wrong way at the end of the compiled code. A bug?

      P.S.
      I can see the processes made with PowerBasic in the task manager but i can't terminate anything.
      There is only a way to close these tasks, quit from the PowerBasic Editor.
      Last edited by Marco Lugo; 27 Feb 2008, 03:55 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        See http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...ad.php?t=36350 as this can be caused by anti-virus/spyware software.
        Sincerely,

        Steve Rossell
        PowerBASIC Staff

        Comment


        • #5
          FWIW: When my apps do that I can usually find an unexpected (are they ever expected?) infinite loop in the exit handler of my CALLBACK. A couple of times I actually found an hDlg handle that had somehow gotten undefined. :doh:
          Do not go quiet into that good night,
          ... Rage, rage against the dark.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Steve Rossell View Post
            See http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...ad.php?t=36350 as this can be caused by anti-virus/spyware software.
            No i have tried on a windows Xp with the G Data antivirus and works well, on vista with the same antivirus doesn't work. I don't have others antivirus or antispyware software.

            Comment


            • #7
              I just want to make sure I understand this. On XP with G Data anti-virus the hello.bas program is exiting correctly, but on Vista with G Data anti-virus the program is not exiting? And on Vista with G Data anti-virus removed or disabled, hello.bas is exiting correctly? Thanks.
              Sincerely,

              Steve Rossell
              PowerBASIC Staff

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Steve Rossell View Post
                I just want to make sure I understand this. On XP with G Data anti-virus the hello.bas program is exiting correctly, but on Vista with G Data anti-virus the program is not exiting?.
                Yes!


                And on Vista with G Data anti-virus removed or disabled, hello.bas is exiting correctly? Thanks.
                On Vista with G Data anti-virus disabled the hello.bas doesn't exit correctly!
                I think that the problem isn't the antivirus.
                Last edited by Marco Lugo; 27 Feb 2008, 08:46 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I will bet dollars to doughnuts that you have Spybot S&D running on your system? If so, then in Spybot goto Tools (Advanced Settings) and then the Resident tab and uncheck the "Resident TeaTimer" and see if your problem goes away.
                  Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

                  "If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

                  "Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

                  "Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    PB is a 32-bit compiler that generates 32-bit executables, so 64-bit versions of Windows have to use emulation to run these programs. Look up WOW64 in the process list and terminate it, it is the 32-bit emulator that Win64 uses.

                    I remember read/write problems occurred between the old 16-bit (pre-8.04) version of the compiler due to WOW32 keeping process handles open after they have finished.

                    More info on WOW64:

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64
                    kgpsoftware.com | Slam DBMS | PrpT Control | Other Downloads | Contact Me

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cliff Nichols View Post
                      I will bet dollars to doughnuts that you have Spybot S&D running on your system? If so, then in Spybot goto Tools (Advanced Settings) and then the Resident tab and uncheck the "Resident TeaTimer" and see if your problem goes away.
                      Thanks but I don't have Spybot.....

                      PB is a 32-bit compiler that generates 32-bit executables, so 64-bit versions of Windows have to use emulation to run these programs. Look up WOW64 in the process list and terminate it, it is the 32-bit emulator that Win64 uses.

                      I remember read/write problems occurred between the old 16-bit (pre-8.04) version of the compiler due to WOW32 keeping process handles open after they have finished.
                      Working with this limitation is impossible. I must restart PowerBasic to recompile my programs.....
                      Please fix this problem fast!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You need to boot your system into safe mode and try it that way. Another option would be to uninstall any and every anti-virus or anti-spyware on your system. Disabling is not always sufficient.

                        I can guarantee you that there is no bug in PowerBASIC that is affecting programs from exiting properly on Windows Vista. You have another process (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.) that is preventing the applications from exiting.
                        Sincerely,

                        Steve Rossell
                        PowerBASIC Staff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Steve Rossell View Post
                          You need to boot your system into safe mode and try it that way. Another option would be to uninstall any and every anti-virus or anti-spyware on your system. Disabling is not always sufficient.

                          I can guarantee you that there is no bug in PowerBASIC that is affecting programs from exiting properly on Windows Vista. You have another process (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.) that is preventing the applications from exiting.
                          Try to use for two times the item "Compile and Debug" of the "Run" menu on a Vista 64bit. i think that this is a bug in the Debugger.
                          The compiled code is correct but the Debugger dosen't work well with vista 64bit.
                          Last edited by Marco Lugo; 28 Feb 2008, 01:40 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Marco Lugo View Post
                            Try to use for two times the item "Compile and Debug" of the "Run" menu on a Vista 64bit. i think that this is a bug in the Debugger.
                            The compiled code is correct but the Debugger dosen't work well with vista 64bit.
                            You need to boot your system into safe mode and try it that way. Another option would be to uninstall any and every anti-virus or anti-spyware on your system. Disabling is not always sufficient.

                            I can guarantee you that there is no bug in PowerBASIC that is affecting programs from exiting properly on Windows Vista. You have another process (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.) that is preventing the applications from exiting.
                            Sincerely,

                            Steve Rossell
                            PowerBASIC Staff

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Marco,
                              Are you still having the error 496 problem or is it just the debugger?

                              I'm running Vista and debugging is a breeze. The only bugs I find are my own. Got a bug farm in fact.
                              Rod
                              Rod
                              I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Rodney Hicks View Post
                                Marco,
                                Are you still having the error 496 problem or is it just the debugger?

                                I'm running Vista and debugging is a breeze. The only bugs I find are my own. Got a bug farm in fact.
                                Rod
                                You have vista 64bit?

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Are you still having the error 496 problem or is it just the debugger?
                                  Rod
                                  Rod
                                  I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    >>
                                    Originally Posted by Marco Lugo
                                    Try to use for two times the item "Compile and Debug" of the "Run" menu on a Vista 64bit. i think that this is a bug in the Debugger.
                                    The compiled code is correct but the Debugger dosen't work well with vista 64bit. <<

                                    same here. Debug process is still alive (seen in task manager)

                                    -Uwe

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Rodney Hicks View Post
                                      Are you still having the error 496 problem or is it just the debugger?
                                      Rod
                                      The error 496 is displayed to me after I have tried to debug a program.
                                      Probably the debugger leave the compiled program (on Vista 64) locked and can't delete it after the first run so when you try to recompile the same program a nice 496 error is displayed.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Sorry Marco,
                                        The Koinky-Dink factor was too strong not to bring it up.

                                        I agree with Steve about
                                        I can guarantee you that there is no bug in PowerBASIC that is affecting programs from exiting properly on Windows Vista. You have another process (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.) that is preventing the applications from exiting.
                                        If you "Compile and Run" multiple times and get hung up somewhere AND "Compile and Debug" multiple times and get hung up then that is where the clue is. (The only catch is, I was able to NOT cause this scenario if I did it from up to a minute (its all in the timing, and how many times you do it), so I would run repeated tests to see if you can repeat that it takes 2 times, or up to 5 times or some random? or even worse if you cant get it to replicate)

                                        I can't look back to see what the causing code is, but if you can post it, I am sure a few of us can take a few wild jabs at it and see if we can replicate the problem
                                        Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

                                        "If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

                                        "Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

                                        "Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X