Condensed Fixed Font Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condensed Fixed Font Problem

All line printers have a built in "condensed font", usually 17cpi. Using LPRINT
    in condensed mode creates a very readable report (not too small). Using XPRINT
    however, I need to specilfy a FONT. Using Courier New at 7 Points yields the
    necessary 17 cpi but is very hard to read (small characters). Since I need
    a Fixed Font I don't have much choice. How would the gurus handle this? This needs to be done using DDOC. I have tried playing with the LOGFONT settings
    to no avail. Would like to use a standard windows font instead of a purchaed
    one that would need to be loaded on every machine (I'll do it as a last resort).
    If I only could get the character height larger without changing anything else,
    it would look better.

Code:
    dpfont...
    dpfontspacing....
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
    Racine WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Michael - dpFONT is how I select a FONT. This only allows for POINT Size
      input. dpFONTSPACING only allows adding (or removing) space after the
      character (not what I want to do since I need Fixed size FONT). What I need
      to do is select the FONT (Courier New), select the size (7 POINT) then somehow
      alter the height of the characters to make them more readable.

Comment

> select the size (7 POINT) then somehow alter the height of the characters

????

Um, the height IS the point size.....

But bottom line, if you can't create the font you want with dpFont + dpFontSpacing, you can't use it with ddoc P&P. AFAIK there never was a provision to use a font created with CreateFont or CreateFontIndirect. (Well, as a licensed user you have the source code available and you could add support for that yourself. HINT: compiler used was PB/DLL 6.11, so expect a bit of porting work).

You could try other monospaced fonts, but then again there is no guarantee those will be available on the target system and you'd have to supply a redistributable font file with your application. (you would not have to INSTALL it, just have the file available).
        Michael Mattias
        Racine WI USA
        [email protected]

Comment

Michael, as you can see I'm not that Windows Programming savvy. One last
          question - to your knowledge is it possible to take Courier New FONT and using
          CreateFontIndirect make a Font that will be fixed (10cpi,12cpi,17cpi) and
          have characters of a height which is decent to read? If it is, then I can go down that road othwise I won't waist my time trying. Sorry if the technical verbiage isn't 100% accurate - I think you probably can surmise what I need.

Comment

About all you can do is test. Courier New is a TrueType font, so it is 100% scalable.

With ddoc, you can do something like....
            Code:
              LOCAL szRuler AS ASCIIZ * 192

FOR I = 1 TO 13 
                szRuler = szRuler & "----+----|"
              NEXT 
             - Initialize doc use inches
             - start page  (I don't think you need to do that on page one)

szFace      = "Courier New"
             X  =  0.5     ' left margin
             Y  =  1.0     ' top margin
            FOR  ptsize = 12 to 6 STEP -0.5    ' 12 or 13 different font sizes
               dpFont   hDoc, %DDOC_FONTNORMAL, ptsize, %NULL (black), szFace
               szText = USING$ ("The Quick Brown Fox was ##.## points taller than the tiny dog", ptsize)
               dpText   X, Y, szRuler, %DDOC_LEFT
               Y        =  Y + 0.25   ' advance one quarter inch down
               dpText   x, y, szText, %DDOC_LEFT
               Y       =  Y + 0.5!    '  advance one-half inch down 
            NEXT
             dpEndDoc OPTIONS
            ... and see what you can read.

You can modify the test loop to include the dpFontSpacing if you want.

(Yes, you CAN use non-integral point sizes).

MCM
            Michael Mattias
            Racine WI USA
            [email protected]

Comment

FWIW... your tax dollars at work... four hundred thousand million of them each year to be exact....

Medicare specifications call for the use of seven (7) point Courier New on the Medicare Part B/DME remittance advice report.

No, I can't read it. But I created it that way anyway (using ddoc).

See: The Provider Payment Partner(tm) System for more ddoc-created report samples in the product .

At least I got to deduct the cost of the magnifying glass as a business item.

MCM
              Last edited by Michael Mattias; 12 Mar 2008, 07:29 PM.
              Michael Mattias
              Racine WI USA
              [email protected]

Comment

Lee,
                i hope this does not sound too silly, but have you tried the bold face.
                paul
                p purvis

Comment

Working...
                X