Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to Chris Holbrook for SQLite3 TreeView

Re http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...ad.php?t=37453

I brought down your code and compiled and ran it without any problem. Had to rename my database from *.db3 to *.sdb to be able to open it.

Thanks very much.

Originally posted by David L Morris View Post
    I brought down your code and compiled and ran it without any problem.
    Thanks for mentioning it, there is not much feedback from the Source Code Forum but for some reason we keep posting to it - must be vanity.

I've added source code for the current version which handles the BinBas data in a nicer way and shows indexes and their columns in the correct way.
    Last edited by Chris Holbrook; 22 May 2008, 10:36 AM. Reason: added link to source code forum

Comment

there is not much feedback from the Source Code Forum
      I thought we were not supposed to post feedback in the source code forum?

I know what you meant though.

I am kinda sorta touching on SqlLite, but have not gotten my big toe wet yet, but thanks to you guys I may be able to make the plunge.
      Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff Nichols View Post
        I thought we were not supposed to post feedback in the source code forum?
        That's the power of words for you Cliff, I said "from", not "in"!
        Originally posted by Cliff Nichols View Post
        SqlLite... I may be able to make the plunge.
        SQlite is so easy to deploy that it would take a genius to get it wrong. The only learning you may have to do is on SQL, but there are plenty of tutorial resources out there. There's a good, short review of it here: http://theopensourcery.com/sqlite2.htm. But I'm probably preaching to the converted. After all, SQLite.org claims:
        SQLite is the most widely deployed SQL database engine in the world

Comment

I agree 110% with Chris about SQLite. It is incredibly easy to use and deploy (simply copy the DLL to your application folder). I wish that I had started using it a long time ago. SQL makes things pretty easy.
          Paul Squires
          FireFly Visual Designer (for PowerBASIC Windows 10+)
          Version 3 now available.
          http://www.planetsquires.com

Comment

Chris, I have run your second version showing the indexes. Very good example. I made a change to allow me to select databases with the file extension I normally use: Buf = "Database files (*.SDB)|*.SDB|Database files (*.DB3)|*.DB3|" 'DLM modification 23/5/2008

I imagine you are planning to develop a universal SQLite3 database browser similar to http://www.yunqa.de/delphi/doku.php/...qlitespy/index the Delphi Inspiration - SQLiteSpy.exe ? If so, that would be a most generous contribution to the PB forum members and I would commend such a project to you.

Regards

Comment

there is not much feedback from the Source Code Forum but for some reason we keep posting to it - must be vanity.
              I'm sure that is true for some but not for most. I believe that most folk post code to the Source Code forum as a way of thanks. We tend not to thank retrospectively. I haven't figured out why yet but there may be some connection with vanity there. There are exceptions but not many. How many of us thank our parents, for anything? We ask them to babysit for us. We don't trust many people to do that do we, but we trust them and when we ask they know that we are telling them that we trust them. It is a hell of a roundabout way to say thanks but that is what it is and neither is really aware of it on the surface - it lurks pretty deep as does most things between folk.

There are some here who are very well versed in the PB compilers and Windows programming and post often to the Source Code forum. A twelve bore to their head will not see them admitting to doing it as a way of thanks but I tell you they are doing just that but, of course, they are not, in the main, saying thanks for code but something much deeper. No, I'm not going to say what it is but they should be thanked directly rather than asking them to babysit for us.

There is a source of feedback in the new forums, Chris: Views. Do a sort on the Views in the Source Code forum. If you get say, what 200 views, then at least one of those viewers is using your code. I'm guessing but a source code entry is not viewed on a passing through basis unlike the Café.

Comment

Originally posted by David Roberts View Post
                I'm I believe that most folk post code to the Source Code forum as a way of thanks.
                vanity, then, assumption that the gift has value...
                I haven't figured out why yet but there may be some connection with vanity there.
                ...mmm, could be..
                How many of us thank our parents, for anything? We ask them to babysit for us.
                In todays overregulated and litigious society your relatives are the only ones you can leave your children with without a) breaking the law, b) getting sued c) being charged a stiff fee for the service.
                There is a source of feedback in the new forums, Chris: Views. Do a sort on the Views in the Source Code forum. If you get say, what 200 views, then at least one of those viewers is using your code.
                David your comments are indeed revealing - I had put your technical skills down to a superior intellect or powers of concentration. Now I realise you have, er, help. 200, eh?

Comment

>simply copy the DLL to your application folder.

FWIW, I use a separate folder I set up on my system where I put all the 'common' DLLs which are not part of the Windows' system or any specific application. I added it to my PATH.

I also keep an index file in there which looks like this...
                  Code:
                  _index.txt for C:\Utility\Dlls

4/08/03 Created folder and added to path
                  09/03/07 rearranged to put all entries for same file together like product version logs. 

DDOC.EXE and DDOC16/32. DLL

04/19/03 Added ddoc.exe, ddoc32.dll, ddoc16.dll (v 1.9c)
                     10/21/03 overwrote all ddoc with version 1.9E
                     12/7/04  overwrote ddoc 1.9e with 1.9.5.1 (OEMVersion=Tal Systems (001)))
                               fileversion="1.9e(1)"
                     3.29.06  Overwrote ddoc.exe 1.9.5e1 with 1.9.5e2  (wider bookmark control)

TSIXML00.DLL and XMLPARSE (expat parser)

05/10/03 Added TSIXML00.DLL v 1.1.0.1
                     05/10/03 Added XMLPARSE.DLL (expat parser) No version info dated 7/12/02 size 126,976
                     12.20.06 Changed tsixml00.dll to version 1.2.0 (handle encoding not supported by expat parser).

MODLIST.EXE   
                      06/12/03  Added MODLIST.EXE v 1.0.0

TSEDIAPI.DLL
                     04/08/03 installed tsEDIAPI.DLL  v 3.0.0
                     6/20/03  Updated TSEDIAPI.DLL to v 3.0.1
                     6/23/03  Updated TSEDIAPI.DLL to v 3.0.2
                     1/03/04  Updated TSEDIAPI.DLL to v 3.1.0
                     11/13/06 Updated TSEDIAPI.DLL to v 3.1.1
                     09/03/07 Updated TSEDIAPI.DLL to v 3.1.2 

It may or may not work for you, but it works for me... it lets me have multiple applications in many different folders use the same DLLs.

AND.... to test new versions of those DLLs, you can install the new version in the test application's folder, because when loading DLLs the folder of the using EXE is checked before the folders on the PATH.

Of course, if you at any time are unsure of from which folder a DLL is loading, you can always add this code...
                  Show Loaded Modules Source and Executable package for PB and VB
                  Visual Basic include files/demo code by Balthasar Indermuehle. (PB code by YT.)

... and control its use with a conditional compile (#IF.... #ENDIF)

MCM
                  Michael Mattias
                  Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
                  Racine WI USA
                  [email protected]
                  http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by David L Morris View Post
                    I imagine you are planning to develop a universal SQLite3 database browser ...
                    Funny you should mention it, but that is one of my little projects, and is now showing signs of life. If you would like to try it, PM me. I've already posted source code of all the components, of course...

Comment

Working...
                    X