Pause %WM_TIMER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pause %WM_TIMER

How do I go about pausing the %WM_TIMER???

All I can find is SetTimer and KillTimer, but nothing about pausing.

I have a partially working Timer that "Pauses" by killing the timer and recreating it when I am done with my paused amount of time (time unknown till runtime), but find myself in a catch 22.....of either stuck in a continuous loop, or runs fine the 1st time but only runs half-way through the second time.

I am out to demonstrate to the user how my program works, but at points where I wait for them to press a button, I need the timer to not fire until that function is complete.

Is there a pause? or do I have to set another flag to ignore the timer fired while I was off doing something else????
    Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Not quite sure what you are doing, but there is no 'pause.' Usually timers are just killed, then recreated when needed again.

If you are in a loop, the problem is code structure, because your kill/set sequence is pretty much "SOP."

But you could (if you were ambitious)...

Use Waitable timer in its own thread (demo: Waitable Timer Object Demo June 2005)....

... and when the timer fires post a message to your main window.

When you want to disable it.... THREAD SUSPEND the thread with the timer object code and THREAD RESUME to re-enable.

It's a thought... but it sure sounds like overkill to me.

The problem you have here might be mis-application.... timers are used to wait for a time, not a user event such as clicking a button, or waiting for a function to complete.

To wait for a function to complete, run it from your GUI in a separate thead of execution as demo'd here in the demo I should have created years ago: GUI + Worker Thread + Abort Demo 11-24-07

MCM
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems (retired)
    Port Washington WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Thanx MCM....
      I thought about your Wait-able Timer object a few mins back and maybe that is the key....

Since this a add on to a full blown program....I am going to have to go build a mini-demo of my situation.

(and probably find another case of CNDS )

In a case such as this...I am sure its something that I am doing wrong....either by not understanding...or by seeing the same code for so long, that I can't see an obvious problem.

Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Comment

Just keep the timer running and toggle an entry flag (using a static variable or other method) when executing the task.

Very easy, and by far the simplest solution
        kgpsoftware.com | Slam DBMS | PrpT Control | Other Downloads | Contact Me

Comment

Maybe you don't need to re-invent the wheel.... Wink

Comment

A vote for waitable timer

I have used the waitable timer with success. Worth the time investment to understand & implement.

(Thanks to MCM for his demos that flattened the learning curve. Or sharpened it? Whatever... )

Regards,
            jim
            ... .... . ... . . ... ... .... . .. ... .... .. ... .... .. .... ..

n6jah @ yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks to MCM
              Hear! Hear!

He has helped me a lot more than he knows.

Rod
              Rod
              In some future era, dark matter and dark energy will only be found in Astronomy's Dark Ages.

Comment

Working...
              X