The next big thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next big thing

Now for the next big thing. I wonder if PB have any plans for a compiler to generate 64bit code. The next version of Windows is not too far off and I presume it will be 64bit only. PB generating 64bit code should generate some seriously fast programs and will take PB ahead of the pack. I trust Bob's roadmap already has a spot marked PB64.

Definitively, it is on the wish list. Myself and others in both forums and beta have raised the point several times. However considering the scope of the new and changed features ... maybe we can wait a while longer for that market to be the big one.
    Rick Angell

Comment

> The next version of Windows is not too far off and I presume it will be 64bit only

That's about as likely as "640kb ought to be enough for anyone!"

:laugh:
      kgpsoftware.com | Slam DBMS | PrpT Control | Other Downloads | Contact Me

Comment

While I see it as easy to develop new compilers for 32 bit - from now - faster then until now, using the new PB 9 Compiler as base instead of pure ASM, a 64 bit product would be a complete new product.

All subprogramms would have to be newly developed and optimiized for 64 bit ASM. Maybe none of the actual Runtime could be reused.

While I'd immediately buy such a product from PB.inc, I believe its hard to do. It may need a separate Team of developers - and the next question would be which language shall be used to do it.
        --Theo Gottwald
        ------------------------------------------------
        76706 Dettenheim * Germany * [email protected]
        ------------------------------------------------
        Joses Forum * Theo's Link Site * IT-Berater.org

Comment

Sometime ago I looked into the instructions for the AMD for 64bit programs. In reality, IIRC, the changes for existing '86 code are foir many simply that the instruction gets extra bits. So while not every shoe fits that foot, it looks like it would be possible to do 32/64 with a metastatement that offsets such instructions into 64bit values reserving pure 64bit compiler library components for where they would make the most sense. But like I said that was some time ago ... and Bob is the compiler architect and so we will have to see what he thinks is best. My wish would not be for an entirely new compiler, but one that operates with a switched mode. IMO, 32 bit is not obsolete yet by long shot, since 64bit Windows has been around a while and will take a lot longer for the market presence and installed 64bit CPU base to be large enough for the mass of software to be presented solely in 64 bit executables. I'd believe that 32/64 offerings of the same programs will be norm for some time yet to come.

It may be that multi-platform needs will play a more significant part in our future than our opinions at any rate.
          Rick Angell

Comment

AMD really beat Intel on that one but to use the real speed benefits like the big endian option would require massive changes in the compiler

Comment

There you go Bob, no resting now, the forum has spoken, 32/64 it is

Comment

Working...
              X