Issue with PB9 extension registering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with PB9 extension registering

When i doubleclick a BAS file i keep getting PB8, not 9.
    I tried to change it but the folder settings dialog does not allow me to remove the PB 8 settings for BAS.
    I tried to use the PB9 PBedit to force the new settings.

Of course i can manually do this but i better mention it here for a correct solution.
    hellobasic

point a . bas to a new application

I'm not sure which OS you are running (XP, 2K, 98 etc), but when you open Windows Explorer (I still call it file manager), there should be a Tools tab ... under tools ... Folder Options ... then File Types. You will need to find .BAS and edit it's association ... when you find the part that says "open with", change that path to point to the new PB 9.0 location ...

note: the specifics I gave you are for Win98 but the later OSs should not be too far off of that nomenclature.

If you find your OS to be labeled differently, try a google search with your OS and the words "File Associations" ie. "Windows XP File Associations" or ... perhaps look in YOUR windows help under "File Associations" ...that is the actual identifier for the thing you are trying to change.

Comment

Previous PowerBASIC installations have not associated .bas files with the IDE, this can be done by selecting Windows | Options | Editor tab and clicking the "Register file extensions with Windows" checkbox.

Sincerely,

Steve Rossell
      PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Steve
        Memory getting worse with age and no that option is not in options in 8.03 but didn't it previously ask during install? All the PB used extensions default to PB on my comp, ie bas, inc, rc etc and i don't remember doing them all manually.
        John

Comment

THE manual advantage

The advantage of manually setting up the file associations is that you are not limited to a single OPEN option. What if you have both PBWIN and PBCC installed? Wouldn't it be nice to pick which one the .bas file opened with?

I have mine set so that when I left click on a .bas or .inc file it opens in Jellyfish Pro which also links directly to both compliers; however, I can also right click and have the option to open in PBWIN's IDE, PBCC's IDE, or even Notepad ... great flexibility in taking personal control of file associations.

If you follow the procedure I outlined previously, you can create as many OPEN options as you like.

give it a try if you like ...

MF

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Rossell View Post
            Previous PowerBASIC installations have not associated .bas files with the IDE, this can be done by selecting Windows | Options | Editor tab and clicking the "Register file extensions with Windows" checkbox.
            That's what i did, but didn't help.
            It's not that i can't fix it but i wanted to mention it.
            I manually editted the registry, it seems related to the browse with or similar entries.
            They differ from old fashion shell>command in the registry.
            hellobasic

Comment

I did some checking and found
              Yep found that was not an option with version 7.02 (I think I still have 6 laying around here somewhere to check, but figure "Whats the point???" if its not in 7?? )

That's what i did, but didn't help.
              It's not that i can't fix it but i wanted to mention it.
              I manually editted the registry, it seems related to the browse with or similar entries.
              They differ from old fashion shell>command in the registry.
              I get the idea that you know how to fix it, but out of curiosity I have to ask...

Following the same set of instructions in PB8 should do the trick, but if it does not, then I have a few questions.
              1. What Windows OS?
              2. Do you have another program that the *.bas filetype is set to be used besides PB8??? (Such as Visual Basic, or some Basic compiler)???? (in this case if you have PBWIN and PBCC installed then this could be a case)
              3. Do you get a similar result with the help files? (Especially if clicking help more than once within the IDE itself???????

Just a few similarities I have seen that if nailed down could be brought forth to the GREAT guys in support that PB has on their team
              Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Comment

I searched through the registry using "PBEDIT" for keyword.
                I believe i encountered a .BAS pointing to VB indeed.
                I am using XP.

I already had issues, like a .BAS showing the icon of pb9 and by executing this document i still got 8.

It's all gone now but maybe the checkbox thing in the option may need to fix the browse with part as well.
                Not sure if that is a good thing though?
                hellobasic

Comment

Working...
                X