Built in numeric equates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built in numeric equates

For flags and styles, I assume the specific help entry for various commands lists only a popular subset, since the "list of built in numeric equates" may contain more entries. Is that list what I should be looking at as the complete and final word on the matter, or does it contain unsupported items as well, and I should stick with what's listed in the individual help entry?

Originally posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    For flags and styles, I assume the specific help entry for various commands lists only a popular subset, since the "list of built in numeric equates" may contain more entries. Is that list what I should be looking at as the complete and final word on the matter, or does it contain unsupported items as well, and I should stick with what's listed in the individual help entry?
    for API stuff MSDN or the M$ SDK might be the best source, at least you get some documentation, provided that the values made their way into the PB header files - in my limited experience this has always been the case.
    Last edited by Chris Holbrook; 10 Oct 2008, 04:10 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

That certainly makes sense for the M$ stuff but I was actually thinking more about DDT like the the new Display FileSave command. The command help doesn't mention the %OFN_OVERWRITEPROMPT, something I consider essential, then I noticed it in the list of equates and breathed a sigh of relief. I was previously thinking that if the help entry didn't mention something, it wasn't to be messed with, but it seems I didn't cast my net wide enough ;-)

Comment

It never hurts to #INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC". If an equate is duplicated it is ignored. (As long as it's the same value, but any discrepancies would have shown up by now).
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems (retired)
        Port Washington WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Once in a blue moon, I find an equates or a function not declared in the *.inc file (but may be in another one) and in most cases its because I did not understand the declaration belonged with the other *.inc

Documentation-wize, I find PB the most complete and most explainable (without becoming "Application Specific") over all the others, and very few do I find not documented, and if it is not, then I would send in a report to support to alert them to what "May have been missed" (or more to the point "WHAT I MISSED")

Although on the other hand, a list of all known equates could be useful in some situations
          Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Comment

I have a list of all %EQUATES that appear in all of the .INC files that come with PB 9.0. It is a .txt file and consists of the EQUATE, its value, and the name of the file it is found in on each line.

I can email it to interested parties, but more than 5 requests will get me to post it in this thread.
            Providing this does not contravene any copyright privileges with PB.

It is a pretty large file. 1953 KB
            Last edited by Rodney Hicks; 11 Oct 2008, 07:07 PM. Reason: add info
            Rod
            I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

Comment

The one related thing which I don't like about the compiler is when you get an error message indicating "duplicate equate with different value." The error file/line/column showing the SECOND appearance doesn't help a lot.

If only the compiler would add "<equate name> previously found in file <file> at line <line>

(Yes I did send in NFS for this).

This new feature in 5x/9x that equates can be 'silently' re-defined before use, when combined with the fact there are so many new "predefined" equates sounds like a place where trouble may be lurking.... eg an equate YOU had defined in one of your #INCLUDE files and use in your code is now pre-defined by the compiler ... but is redefined by your existing #INCLUDE file.

Haven't worked with 5x/9x enough yet to know if this is going to be a problem for me, but I would not be surprised if I send another NFS:
              Code:
              #REDEFINE EQUATE  OFF |ON
              ... something like that.
              Michael Mattias
              Tal Systems (retired)
              Port Washington WI USA
              [email protected]
              http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Working...
              X