Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    The one related thing which I don't like about the compiler is when you get an error message indicating "duplicate equate with different value." The error file/line/column showing the SECOND appearance doesn't help a lot.

If only the compiler would add "<equate name> previously found in file <file> at line <line>

(Yes I did send in NFS for this).

This new feature in 5x/9x that equates can be 'silently' re-defined before use, when combined with the fact there are so many new "predefined" equates sounds like a place where trouble may be lurking.... eg an equate YOU had defined in one of your #INCLUDE files and use in your code is now pre-defined by the compiler ... but is redefined by your existing #INCLUDE file.

Haven't worked with 5x/9x enough yet to know if this is going to be a problem for me, but I would not be surprised if I send another NFS:
    Code:
    #REDEFINE EQUATE  OFF |ON
    ... something like that.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Hicks
    replied
    I have a list of all %EQUATES that appear in all of the .INC files that come with PB 9.0. It is a .txt file and consists of the EQUATE, its value, and the name of the file it is found in on each line.

I can email it to interested parties, but more than 5 requests will get me to post it in this thread.
    Providing this does not contravene any copyright privileges with PB.

It is a pretty large file. 1953 KB
    Last edited by Rodney Hicks; 11 Oct 2008, 06:07 PM. Reason: add info

Leave a comment:

• Cliff Nichols
    replied
    Once in a blue moon, I find an equates or a function not declared in the *.inc file (but may be in another one) and in most cases its because I did not understand the declaration belonged with the other *.inc

Documentation-wize, I find PB the most complete and most explainable (without becoming "Application Specific") over all the others, and very few do I find not documented, and if it is not, then I would send in a report to support to alert them to what "May have been missed" (or more to the point "WHAT I MISSED")

Although on the other hand, a list of all known equates could be useful in some situations

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    It never hurts to #INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC". If an equate is duplicated it is ignored. (As long as it's the same value, but any discrepancies would have shown up by now).

Leave a comment:

• Conrad Hoffman
    replied
    That certainly makes sense for the M$ stuff but I was actually thinking more about DDT like the the new Display FileSave command. The command help doesn't mention the %OFN_OVERWRITEPROMPT, something I consider essential, then I noticed it in the list of equates and breathed a sigh of relief. I was previously thinking that if the help entry didn't mention something, it wasn't to be messed with, but it seems I didn't cast my net wide enough

Leave a comment:

• Chris Holbrook
    replied
    Originally posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    For flags and styles, I assume the specific help entry for various commands lists only a popular subset, since the "list of built in numeric equates" may contain more entries. Is that list what I should be looking at as the complete and final word on the matter, or does it contain unsupported items as well, and I should stick with what's listed in the individual help entry?
    for API stuff MSDN or the M$ SDK might be the best source, at least you get some documentation, provided that the values made their way into the PB header files - in my limited experience this has always been the case.
    Last edited by Chris Holbrook; 10 Oct 2008, 03:10 PM. Reason: sp

Leave a comment:

• Conrad Hoffman
    started a topic Built in numeric equates

Built in numeric equates

For flags and styles, I assume the specific help entry for various commands lists only a popular subset, since the "list of built in numeric equates" may contain more entries. Is that list what I should be looking at as the complete and final word on the matter, or does it contain unsupported items as well, and I should stick with what's listed in the individual help entry?
Working...
X