File Owner or File Creator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Owner or File Creator

Is there any way to determine who created a file and/or who last modified it?

Bob Mechler

AFAIK not unelss you keep track of it when it happens.

I think with UAC security enabled and tuned up you can get the creator but if more than one user has permission to update that file once created, I think you are SOL.

But let's look at this another way... what are you trying to accomplish?

Learning who last modified "incorrectly" or "without permission" will do for you is tell you who needs more training or where your security hole(s) is (are), so if that's what you want to know, that's what you'll get.

But if it's something else...?

MCM
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
    Racine WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Good news / Bad news

Bad news: I am not sure after the fact that the file has changed.

Good news: Without looking the source code forums, the idea comes to mind that most (if not all) of the answer has something to do with MCM

To me, it would be just a matter of concept
      1. Watch the file
      2. When the file changes, grab the Current user account
      3. If changed from network then grab the computer that is changing it
      4. Pretty sure you can grab the current user on that computer as well

Now who is actually at the computer when the file changes? THAT is a matter for security (and its practices)
      Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Comment

The information does seem to be available in Windows Explorer. Author and owner are optional columns in the List version of the directory listing.

We were wanting to track which programmer last loaded and modified a program. Might be as easy as a proper check system where the current user is recorded in a log file with the user and program name.

The optional columns in Windows Explorer really don't help much since the author is often a group name.

I'll just work at it from a different direction.

BOB MECHLER

Comment

Just tried it on my PC. Author was only shown for MS Word .doc, Excel .xls and PDFs; so the info must be in the files and not file attribs.

Cheers,
          Dale

Comment

The information does seem to be available in Windows Explorer. Author and owner...
            I believe Dale is correct, the info you refer to is only available on some file types.

extract from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadata
            Most programs that create documents, including Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Word and other Microsoft Office products, save metadata with the document files. These metadata can contain the name of the person who created the file (obtained from the operating system), the name of the person who last edited the file, how many times the file has been printed, and even how many revisions have been made on the file. Other saved material, such as deleted text (saved in case of an undelete command), document comments and the like, is also commonly referred to as "metadata", and the inadvertent inclusion of this material in distributed files has sometimes led to undesirable disclosures.
            Rod

Comment

Possibly lifted from resource files?
              Rod
              I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

Comment

Nope, don't think so. Progs I compiled with the info in the resource didn't show it in Windows' Explorer.
                Dale

Comment

While on the subject,

The dsofile.dll source at the following location is a com wrapper for adding and supporting compound ole documents such as office and also supports on NTFS file systems an Alternative File Stream file that will support these properties on non OLE Documents such as a txt.

Extract from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224351
                  Every OLE compound document can store additional information about the document in persistent property sets. These are collectively called the "Document Summary Properties." These property sets are managed by "COM/OLE" so that third-party clients can read this information without the aid of the main application that is responsible for the file.
                  And this should help also for those who dabble with Visual C++ and perhaps make it work in PB
                  Extract from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186898
                  you can retrieve built-in document properties such as Author, Last Modified Time, and Page Count properties of a Microsoft Office 97 document as well as other custom document properties.
                  Rod

Comment

Primarily I'm looking to track .BAS and .INC history by programmer.
                    We archive a version of a BAS or INC on a daily basis if it isn't the same as the last one archived. Kind of a homegrown SourceSafe. It's very useful when you can follow the changes to a file by comparing the development version with several archived versions.

We always are supposed to write a little audit line at the top of the BAS or INC in the comment section but don't always do that hence the automatic audit idea. Quality control is having fits when they don't have all the notes about areas to test and something gets out the door with a feature not tested independently of the programmer who did the work.

Since I'm the player-coach kind of programming manager, I get called on to trace the work using Beyond Compare and the archived version to tell quality control what features were changed, cleaned up, or rewritten and there is no audit line or source control description of what is done.

I'm kinda leaning toward improving our checkout batch file to write to an audit log and make it searchable by date and/or program/programmer.

Bob Mechler

Comment

Kind of a homegrown SourceSafe. It's very useful when you can follow the changes to a file by comparing the development version with several archived versions
                      If this is in fact a serious problem at your site, maybe you should alow "SourceSafe" or one of its competitors to handle the development and just purchase a license. By the time you "home grow" this I think there's a good chance you will have spent a lot more than you would just purchasing a license for a product designed for this purpose.

FWIW, WinZIP can be a poor-man's source library. It has some "check out" features, plus you can if necessary password-protect files therein.

MCM
                      Michael Mattias
                      Racine WI USA
                      [email protected]

Comment

You might want to consider Subversion. For your client, check out http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
                        Erich Schulman (KT4VOL/KTN4CA)
                        Go Big Orange

Comment

When I was contracting I did work at a couple of places which had rigorous "check-out/Check-in" procedures for program source code.

However, the key to making this work is that nobody except the administrator has permission to "check IN"... giving him/her a chance to review code BEFORE it goes into the master library for others to use. i.e, you can check for proper commenting and/or structure or whatever things are important to you.

MCM
                          Michael Mattias
                          Racine WI USA
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                            ... the key to making this work is that nobody except the administrator has permission to "check IN"... giving him/her a chance to review code BEFORE it goes into the master library for others to use. i.e, you can check for proper commenting and/or structure or whatever things are important to you.
                            I wonder if PB would be a perfect language in which to write an administrator program. It would be next to trivial to check that: the new version had a header in the proper format; that the header was different from the version it intended to replace; that the header gave today's date. More challenging, but still not rocket science, would be to check that new lines of code (versus the previous version) were commented. Hmm. It could even keep track of who wrote which particular lines of code, though for readability that info might not be stored with the code itself.
                            Jonathan Berry
                            [email protected]

Comment

I'm not so sure you should even attempt to automate "compliance with shop standards for program maintenance."

There's really nothing comparable to a "peer review" .. because of the good chance that peer is going to be the next guy who actually has to work on the modified program.
                              Michael Mattias
                              Racine WI USA
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X