Unix and PBDLL6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unix and PBDLL6.0

I have a program in PBDLL6.0 for windows, how can be used under Pentium unix (SCO unix)? or Linux?

------------------

At the moment, the only simple solution would be finding out if your program
    will run under a Windows emulator.

------------------
    Tom Hanlin
    PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Thank you Tom. Which windows emulator do you think?

------------------

Comment

I don't have any first hand experience, but the WINE project sounds promising... http://www.winehq.org/

------------------
        Lance
        PowerBASIC Support
        mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
        Lance
        mailto:[email protected]

Comment

I successfully ran a PB app with wine, I couldn't get the pbedit.exe
          to work though. Wine is very impressive package, I got VB6.exe to work
          on it, alittle buggy but it worked.

------------------
          -Greg
          -Greg
          [email protected]
          MCP,MCSA,MCSE,MCSD

Comment

Wine looks very interesting... to quote from the project page:
            Wine is an implementation of the Windows 3.x and Win32 APIs on top of X and Unix. Think of Wine as a Windows compatibility layer. Wine provides both a development toolkit (Winelib) for porting Windows sources to Unix and a program loader, allowing unmodified Windows 3.1/95/NT binaries to run under Intel Unixes. Wine works on most popular Intel Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.

Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely alternative implementation consisting of 100% Microsoft-free code, but it can optionally use native system DLLs if they are available. Wine comes with complete sources, documentation and examples and is freely redistributable. (The licensing terms are similar to X11.)
            What exactly does it mean by "porting sources" ? Surely that will only apply to c/c++ ? it didnt say
            hmmm now im gonna have to set up 'nix to test if my PB apps can be run on 'nix... @ 12mb though, that's a large runtime

------------------
            -

Comment

Thank you guys I shall "taste" this Wine.
              Regards

------------------

Comment

Agustin,
                Having tasted the WINE, what was it like?
                Brian

------------------
                Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Hanlin:
                  At the moment, the only simple solution would be finding out if your program
                  will run under a Windows emulator.

Careful Tom - "At the moment" carries connotations. You're not implying that an Linux version is in the pipeline are you? That's coming close to breaching "no vaporware"

------------------
                  Check out my free software at http://www.lexacorp.com.pg(all written in PB/DLL)

[This message has been edited by Stuart McLachlan (edited June 10, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                  X