Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control Spy - useful MS tool (control design and callback events)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Spy - useful MS tool (control design and callback events)

Pardon me if I get excited over something more experienced PB programmers may already use, but as a PB newbie I'm enjoying the more "hands-on" approach PB requires (except when I'm being frustrated because it takes more hands-on than I want!). I figure the other PB newbies will be as thrilled as I am when a free tool is mentioned that is useful and helps better understand the innards of PB.

Folks here directed me to the Common Controls section of MSDN, where I ran across the Control Spy 2 utility.

Control Spy is a tool that helps developers understand common controls how to apply styles to them, and how they respond to messages and notifications.

It displays all the common controls, lets you change their style or extstyle, and presents all of the messages and notifications received. It's basically a workshop for exploring common control options.

Unfortunately it's not one-to-one with PB controls, since some PB controls are custom controls - not 100% unmodified Windows common controls. Still, it's a very interesting tool and puts a lot of information at your fingertips.

Hi Gary,

I just checked out your website. Very nice - looks like you have put a lot of work into it

One thing that I noticed is that you have priced the FireFly Visual Designer incorrectly. I am referring to: http://www.garybeene.com/power/pb-ide.htm
    The correct price for FireFly is $97.

(...and I'm pretty sure that RadDeveloper is not being developed, sold, or supported anymore).

Have fun with your retirement!
    Paul Squires
    FireFly Visual Designer (for PowerBASIC Windows 10+)
    Version 3 now available.
    http://www.planetsquires.com

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. I enjoy creating new sections to the site, but I must admit this one took several months of my free time - more than I had wanted to spend. The good news is taht some of what I learned should carry over into future site sections.

I made the corrections you noted. Also, the link to RadDeveloper is still good, but I'll send an email to them to look deeper.

Comment

Working...
      X