Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP3 Parsing

Hi Guys,

Could anybody please show me a sample code of how to parse the body of an email. Plain Text, Rich Text, and HTML with and without attachment.

Thanks
    Gary Domantay
    Inactive Member
    Last edited by Gary Domantay; 26 Jan 2009, 04:29 AM.

Hi Gary,
    This should get you started:

http://www.powerbasic.com/files/pub/docs/gazette/ See Gazzette No.19 - Sending E-Mail With PB/DLL.

\Samples\Internet\Smtp\Smtp.bas - email (SMTP) example for PowerBASIC for Windows.

Borje Hagsten's test program showing how to connect to a POP3 server and download mail data. http://www.powerbasic.com/support/do...files/POP3.zip
    Rgds, Dave

Comment

Hi Gary;

In your Samples folder there's a compilable SMTP program. It should serve as a starting point.

Comment

Hi Guys,

First of all, I want to thank you for your replies. I have already created a utility to send and recieve emails but what I want to know is how to parse incoming emails to segragate the sections of the email; that is, the headers (Return Path, From, To, Cc, etc..), body, attachments.

The headers seems straightforward. The body if it is a plain text (Content-Type: text/plain) I think the body starts after the first empty line (TCP LINE nTCP, Buffer: if Buffer=""). But, if the Content-Type is a multipart that is not the case, right? Parts are separated by boundaries (e.g. ------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C9812C.039AA3A0--) and it may contain more that one delimiter in case there are attachments.

Comment

If there are attachments the header should contain a line like "Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=" the defined boundary remains the same throughout the email but is preceded with -- the lines following a boundary line up to the first blank line will describe the content type and encoding if any. I seem to remember the MS website has a list of the standard ones they use.
          Simple way to find most is to write a simple pop3 client that just dumps the entire text to a file and then send it an email with a bunch of different types of attachments from outlook or hotmail or yahoo mail etc and have a look at what you get.

Comment

Working...
          X