Printing documents to bin 1 then bin 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing documents to bin 1 then bin 2

I have a check writing program that creates files that need to go to two different bins or trays alternately. The first document is a printed check and the second document is a file copy of expanded information and description of what the check was for. Due to the cost of magnetic ink for the check MICR encoding and the security paper involved they wanted the check to come from bin 1 and the description sheet using plain paper from bin 2.

This isn't hard using XPRINT to send info directly to the printer but these documents need to be independent PDF'S for archival storage per check

Is there a way to access the default properties of the printer and change the default tray to tray 1 then tray 2 then to tray 1 or is there another way to handle this.

Should I XPRINT them first and them make PDF documents out of them on the second pass.

Since I'll be using Ghostscript to send the PDF's silently to the printer I was wondering if there was a way to assign the bin number in the shellexcute command of the Ghostscript to send it to the right bin.

BOB MECHLER

Cant help you with Gohstscript but I would guess that the cheque and remittance advice have different sizes of paper and some printers will automatically select the bin to match the paper size if correctly set up. Another option is to set the same printer up twice in "printers and faxes" under different names with each name having a different default paper bin and then just print the alternate documents to the two "different" printers.
    Last edited by John Petty; 1 Feb 2009, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Using "API" printing you can set the dmDefaultSource member of the DEVMODE structure to the desired paper source using one of the DMBIN_xxxx equates.

I don't know how that would translate to "XPRINT" syntax.
      Michael Mattias
      Tal Systems (retired)
      Port Washington WI USA
      [email protected]
      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by BOB MECHLER View Post
        ...the cost of magnetic ink...
        Bob, federal law requires a bank to accept checks in ANY form presented. You can write a check on a watermelon as long as it has "pay to the order of" properly written on it.

You don't have to have magnetic ink. Regular ink jet or laser toner will work just fine. Check your bank. They'll tell you the same thing although they may not be happy about it.

I used ink jet for years when paying bills with narry a problem. Of course, that's before I started on-line bill pay. Between that and a plastic debit card, I haven't written a check in 3 or 4 years.
        Last edited by Mel Bishop; 1 Feb 2009, 10:21 AM.
        There are no atheists in a fox hole or the morning of a math test.
        If my flag offends you, I'll help you pack.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB MECHLER View Post
          Is there a way to access the default properties of the printer and change the default tray to tray 1 then tray 2 then to tray 1 or is there another way to handle this.
          What happens when you use "XPRINT SET TRAY" ???

Comment

The two printer definitions for the same printer sounds pretty easy using the Ghostscript silent pdf printing through shellexecute.

The magnetic ink is for the MICR encoding and is required by all the clearing houses we currently deal with. The others wouldn't need a two bin solution.

Thanks,

Bob Mechler

Comment

Working...
            X