X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Holbrook
    replied
    Gary,

As you will no doubt have discovered by scanning these forums, there have been some very strong pro- and anti- DDT/SDK opinions out there. Mostly they boil down to "be like ME". I would not like to take sides on this - "horses for courses" is how it looks to me. So, be like ME!

Originally posted by Gary Beene View Post
    I can see that PowerBASIC allows a programmer to bypass all of the DDT stuff, but other than personal preference or habit, what would be the pros and cons of doing so?
    SDK just refers to using the Windows API directly, in all its ghastly detail.

DDT is a collection of BASIC statements which package Windows API functionality, presenting a higher-level interface between the developer and Windows. It does a limited but still wide range of things. The use of higher-level statements allows applications to be developed fast. Having a poorer "instruction set" there is less to learn, less to remember, but some things you can't do. Oh, and it is non-portable, unlike SDK. If you use it, you are in PB World. And in my experience, it is very reliable.

And is it typical of more experienced PowerBASIC programmers to drift away from the DDT tools?
    Yes. No surprises there, then!

I just don't yet know whether it's a distinction without a difference.
    If you start with DDT and add in more sophisticated techniques, you will discover that DDT has its limits, for example, DDT methods do not always span modules successfully, and some DDT statements don't work properly if used in subclassed Wndprocs.
    Last edited by Chris Holbrook; 4 Feb 2009, 02:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Carlo Pagani
    replied
    Gary, if you use PB Forms then it will generate DDT code for you. DDT certainly simplifies getting going and for the many business applications I develop, I have used SDK only when needing a property / wizard type dialog. The rest is 100% DDT.

--Carlo

Leave a comment:

• Gösta H. Lovgren-2
    replied
    Real Men use SDK.

=======================================
    "Logic is in the eye of the logician."
    Gloria Steinem
    =======================================

Leave a comment:

• Gary Beene
    started a topic DDT vs SDK

DDT vs SDK

I think it was Michael who made a comment about not being a "DDT guy". But whoever said it, the comment raised a question that us newer folks might ask.

Nowhere in Help does PowerBASIC Inc. suggest that I not use all of the DDT stuff. Just the opposite is true. They raise it up on a pedestal.

I can see that PowerBASIC allows a programmer to bypass all of the DDT stuff, but other than personal preference or habit, what would be the pros and cons of doing so?

And is it typical of more experienced PowerBASIC programmers to drift away from the DDT tools?

I'm sure the answer depends on who responds, but I'd like to hear the viewpoints.

Convenience seems to be the obvious pro of DDT. And limitations on fine tuning/tweaking seems to be the downside. I just don't yet know whether it's a distinction without a difference.
Working...
X