Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get resource type using only the resource name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colin glenn
    replied
    As an example, in many of Penzold's examples, he uses the program's name as the class name, the menu name, the icon name, ...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    >that would give the type for a supplied resource name

Not possible: For any module you can have more than one resource with any given name, all of different types.

Leave a comment:

• Anthony Watson
    replied
    Thanks Michael and Edwin!

I saw the EnumResourceTypes on MSDN, but it would involve too much code for the simple task I'm trying to accomplish. I was hoping for a single API call or something that would give the type for a supplied resource name. I don't want to go to the trouble of enumerating all the available resources just to find the type of a single resource. It's easier just to pass the type as a variable to my subroutine.

Thanks!

Anthony

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    >Wasn't there an enumresources() ?

Nope.

But....

You can EnumResourceTypes(), then in your callback for that, do an EnumResourceNames() for that type... you'll end up with a list of all resources in the target module by name and type.

MCM

FWIW, this is legal
    Code:
    FOO   BITMAP  filename
    FOO  ICON      filename
    FOO  RCDATA   filename 
    FOO  DIALOG
    Can't very well ask if the resource named FOO is a bitmap, can you? There's a BITMAP FOO to be sure, but there is also an ICON FOO, a DIALOG named FOO, an RCDATA named FOO... and a boy named Sue, too.
    Last edited by Michael Mattias; 14 Apr 2009, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Edwin Knoppert
    replied
    Wasn't there an enumresources() ?

Leave a comment:

• Get resource type using only the resource name?

Is there any way to determine what "type" an object in a resource file from just the resource name?

For example, my resource file has these two objects defined:

Code:
    PROGRAM ICON home.ICO
    TITLE BITMAP title.bmp
    If I only have the name (i.e. "TITLE") is there any way to determine programatically that it is a BITMAP resource type?

Thanks,

Anthony
Working...
X