X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Dixon
    replied
    Pat,
    a push of a pointer then a corresponding pop would be a lot faster then push(ing) clumps of data
    Parameter addresses are 32 bits so if the data type is 32 bits or less then there is no more information to be pushed on the stack when passed ByVal than when passed ByRef.
    When passed ByVal there is a very small potential saving because one level of indirection is needed with ByRef which is not needed with ByVal.

Paul.

Leave a comment:

• John Gleason
    replied
    I ran the below test code, and saw a few % increase in speed using BYVAL when passing LONG parameters, but when passing floating point--especially EXT--parameters, BYVAL significantly slowed the code.

Slowest of all, which should be avoided, is BYVAL x AS STRING

Code:
    #COMPILE EXE
    #DIM ALL

FUNCTION test1(x AS LONG, y AS LONG, z AS LONG) AS LONG
        FUNCTION = 1
    END FUNCTION
    FUNCTION test2(x AS EXT, y AS EXT, z AS EXT) AS LONG
        FUNCTION = 1
    END FUNCTION
    FUNCTION test3(BYVAL x AS LONG, BYVAL y AS LONG, BYVAL z AS LONG) AS LONG
        FUNCTION = 1
    END FUNCTION
    FUNCTION test4(BYVAL x AS EXT, BYVAL y AS EXT, BYVAL z AS EXT) AS LONG
        FUNCTION = 1
    END FUNCTION

FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG
       LOCAL ii,xLong,yLong,zLong AS LONG
       LOCAL xExt,yExt,zExt AS EXT
       LOCAL t1,t2,t3,t4 AS QUAD

TIX t1
        FOR ii = 1 TO 10000000
           test1(xLong, yLong, zLong)
        NEXT
       TIX END t1

TIX t2
        FOR ii = 1 TO 10000000
           test3(xLong, yLong, zLong)
        NEXT
       TIX END t2

TIX t3
        FOR ii = 1 TO 10000000
           test2(xExt, yExt, zExt)
        NEXT
       TIX END t3

TIX t4
        FOR ii = 1 TO 10000000
           test4(xExt, yExt, zExt)
        NEXT
       TIX END t4

? "byref Long" & STR$(t1) & $CRLF & "byval Long" &  STR$(t2) & $CRLF & "byref float" & STR$(t3) & $CRLF & "byval float" & STR$(t4)
    END FUNCTION

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    When passed BYVAL the param does not have to be dereferenced when used in the called function by value. Of course, it has to be dereferenced at the point of the call so the value can be pushed on the stack, so you only "win" by changing to BYVAL if the parameter is used more than once by value in the called procedure.

The bottom line is... it's probably not worth losing a whole lot of sleep over.

Leave a comment:

• Pat Bullman
    started a topic BYVAL or BYREF

BYVAL or BYREF

Just reading the manual (yes I'm strange) for FUNCTION

arguments
    <snip>
    Normally, PowerBASIC passes parameters to a Function either by reference (BYREF) or by copy (BYCOPY). Either way, the address of the variable is passed and the procedure has to look at that address to get the value of the parameter. If you do not need to modify the parameters (true in many cases), you can speed up your calls by passing the parameters by value using the BYVAL keyword.
    I don't understand this. Surely the fastest way to pass data is by passing a pointer to the data, rather than the data itself. If I read correctly parameters are passed on the stack, so a push of a pointer then a corresponding pop would be a lot faster then push(ing) clumps of data.

What am I missing here?

Can someone explain please?

Pat
Working...
X