Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed test

Hi,

I'm currently a VB.NET 2008 (Framework 3.5) user, but am seriously considering using PB as a second programming tool and on the long run as a replacement of VB.NET.

To convince myself that that is a good thing to do I'm investigation PB's quality in several ways:
    • Reading through several threads in PB's forum.
    • Reading the newsgroups, although those aren't a great source regarding the longtime 'war' going on there between persons I will not mention .
    • Studying the online documentation of PB/Win9.

On other thing I like to do now, and for which I need your help, is to test PB's speed, because that would be one of the main reasons I'm interested. As PB doesn't have a trial version I would kindly ask you to provide me with a compiled version of the code below (created with VB.NET):

Code:
            'UInteger = unsigned 32-bit (4-byte)
            'Integer = signed 32-bit (4-byte)
            'Double = double-precision floating point number

Dim StopWatch As New System.Diagnostics.Stopwatch()
            Dim strString As String = ""
            Dim dblDouble As Double = 0

StopWatch.Start()

For intIndex As UInteger = 0 To 100000

strString = ""
                For intString As Integer = 0 To 200
                    strString = "ab" & strString & "de"
                Next
                strString = Replace(strString, "ab", "123")

dblDouble = 9876.54321
                For intDouble As Integer = 0 To 1000
                    dblDouble *= dblDouble
                    dblDouble /= ((dblDouble + 100) / 2)
                Next
            Next

MsgBox(StopWatch.ElapsedMilliseconds.ToString)
    On my PC this test, using a compiled EXE, runs between 11165-13066 milliseconds. These are the minimum and maximum times recorded on numerous executions. My PC: XP SP3, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 @ 2.00Ghz.

I certainly don't say that this is the greatest test ever made, but it will give me a clue on string and calculation operations. If you'll have better code examples (with compiled EXE's) I'll be very grateful to receive them from you.

Second question:

To be honest I think that VB.NET is a great programming language (also thanks to the huge framework) and VS2008 is a very comfortable IDE (especially the intellisense feature). On the other hand it can certainly be slow sometimes and sometimes the IDE eats 500MB of my memory.

Besides the speed can you think of any more reasons to switch to PB?.

Regards,
    Marc
    (once user of the great TurboBasic)

Code:
    #COMPILE EXE
    #OPTION VERSION5

DECLARE FUNCTION GetTickCount LIB "KERNEL32.DLL" ALIAS "GetTickCount" () AS DWORD

FUNCTION PBMAIN
        LOCAL strString AS STRING
        LOCAL nIndex, nString, nDouble AS LONG, dDouble AS DOUBLE, dwTick AS DWORD 

dwTick = GetTickCount

FOR nIndex = 0 TO 100000

strString = ""
            FOR nString = 0 To 200
                strString = BUILD$("ab", strString, "de")
            NEXT
            REPLACE "ab" WITH "123" IN strString

dDouble = 9876.54321
            FOR nDouble = 0 To 1000
                dDouble *= dDouble
                dDouble /= ((dDouble + 100) / 2)
            NEXT
        NEXT

MsgBox "Ellapsed ticks" + STR$(GetTickCount - dwTick)
    END FUNCTION
    Result: 9313 ticks
    on a notebook dual core 2 duo running VISTA 64.bit
    Attached Files
    Patrice Terrier
    www.zapsolution.com
    www.objreader.com
    Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

>As PB doesn't have a trial version

AFAIK they still do. It's not really a 'trial' version, it's "the" version, for which you pay the regular price. But there is a thirty-day-no-questions asked money-back guarantee.

At least that used to be the program. Contact PB's sales department to get official word.

If you're not interested in that ......in both the Source Code Forum and the File Section, there are any number of posts where the poster has supplied not only the source code, but an executable as well. That might give you an idea of performance.

I, too, have been using PB products starting with Turbo Basic. Don't sweat it, the compiler still generates extremely efficient code.

(But as we all know, true performance does not come from hardware or software... it comes from the wetware... you know, that stuff between your ears?)

MCM
      Last edited by Michael Mattias; 5 Sep 2009, 08:40 AM.
      Michael Mattias
      Tal Systems (retired)
      Port Washington WI USA
      [email protected]
      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Iterative string concatenation like above, tho improved a lot by BUILD, is a notoriously slow technique to build up strings. VB.NET may not have the functions like PB to increase efficiency of code in situations like these and others, which is another reason you may like PB. Below I use the MID$ function to further double the speed over even BUILD.
        Code:
        #COMPILE EXE
        #DIM ALL

DECLARE FUNCTION GetTickCount LIB "KERNEL32.DLL" ALIAS "GetTickCount" () AS DWORD

FUNCTION PBMAIN
            LOCAL strString AS STRING
            LOCAL nString, nDouble AS LONG, dDouble AS DOUBLE, nIndex, dwTick AS DWORD

dwTick = GetTickCount

FOR nIndex = 0 TO 100000

strString = STRING$(4 * 201, "x")
                FOR nString = 0 TO 200
                    MID$(strString, 2 * 201 - 2 * nString - 1) = "ab"
                    MID$(strString, 2 * 201 + 2 * nString + 1) = "de"
        '            strString = BUILD$("ab", strString, "de")
                NEXT
                REPLACE "ab" WITH "123" IN strString

dDouble = 9876.54321
                FOR nDouble = 0 TO 1000
                    dDouble *= dDouble
                    dDouble /= ((dDouble + 100) / 2)
                NEXT
            NEXT

MSGBOX "Ellapsed ticks" + STR$(GetTickCount - dwTick)
        END FUNCTION
        Attached Files

Comment

The speed tests prove nothing - any compiler can optimize a loop (even VB6). PB's real power is in the finished result, which feels smoother and is a great deal smaller memory footprint than most. I have used almost all languages and nothing gives you the power of PB (except maybe straight "C", which is a painful write-only language). PB's syntax is easy to understand, using plain English words and structured if written by a seasoned programmer.

Once you've learned the Windows API, programming in PB is a breeze, and of course we have this forum for any questions..
          kgpsoftware.com | Slam DBMS | PrpT Control | Other Downloads | Contact Me

Comment

> The speed tests [shown here] prove nothing...

AMEN MY BROTHER!
            Michael Mattias
            Tal Systems (retired)
            Port Washington WI USA
            [email protected]

Comment

Kev,

I agree with everything you have written

Patrice Terrier
              www.zapsolution.com
              www.objreader.com
              Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrice Terrier View Post
                Result: 9313 ticks
                on a notebook dual core 2 duo running VISTA 64.bit
                Thx. I'm quite satisfied with the speed, on my PC 9219-10215 ms.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                  >As PB doesn't have a trial version

AFAIK they still do. It's not really a 'trial' version, it's "the" version, for which you pay the regular price. But there is a thirty-day-no-questions asked money-back guarantee.

At least that used to be the program. Contact PB's sales department to get official word.

If you're not interested in that ......in both the Source Code Forum and the File Section, there are any number of posts where the poster has supplied not only the source code, but an executable as well. That might give you an idea of performance.

I, too, have been using PB products starting with Turbo Basic. Don't sweat it, the compiler still generates extremely efficient code.

(But as we all know, true performance does not come from hardware or software... it comes from the wetware... you know, that stuff between your ears?)

MCM
                  I know about the money-back guarantee, although it's not unconditional according to what I've read. Correct me if I'm wrong. I prefer not to spend shipping costs vica-versa if I can get some test result via this channel.

I know that this test doesn't say everything, it's only a small sign. Other things like database performance may be the bottleneck factor regarding speed and not the program itself.

Comment

Originally posted by John Gleason View Post
                    Iterative string concatenation like above, tho improved a lot by BUILD, is a notoriously slow technique to build up strings. VB.NET may not have the functions like PB to increase efficiency of code in situations like these and others, which is another reason you may like PB. Below I use the MID$ function to further double the speed over even BUILD.
                    Now that's impressive!: 6516-7250 ms.

NB: Funny thing is that the size of your EXE is exactly the same as Patrice's example: 9216 bytes. How's that possible?
                    Last edited by Marc van Breemen; 5 Sep 2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

PureBasic ... OOPS!

Some guy suggested me to look at PureBasic, so I did. I'm totally new with PureBasic, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the time of PureBasic is: 29640-29844 ms!.

Below is the code I used in PureBasic. Maybe someone can optimize the code to give PureBasic a honest comparison (if possible). Right now it isn't an alternative (the language looks also much less mature).

Code:
                      StartTime = ElapsedMilliseconds()

strString.s = ""
                      dblDouble.d = 0
                      intIndex.i = 0
                      intString.i = 0
                      intDouble.i = 0

For intIndex.i = 0 To 100000

strString.s = ""
                          For intString.i = 0 To 200
                              strString.s = "ab" + strString.s + "de"
                          Next intString.i
                          strString.s = ReplaceString(strString, "ab", "123")

dblDouble.d = 9876.54321
                          For intDouble.i = 0 To 1000
                              dblDouble.d = dblDouble.d * dblDouble
                              dblDouble.d = dblDouble.d / ((dblDouble.d + 100) / 2)
                          Next intDouble.i
                      Next

ElapsedTime = ElapsedMilliseconds()-StartTime 

MessageRequester("","Tijd:" + Str(ElapsedTime), #PB_MessageRequester_Ok)

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Peel View Post
                        The speed tests prove nothing - any compiler can optimize a loop (even VB6). PB's real power is in the finished result, which feels smoother and is a great deal smaller memory footprint than most. I have used almost all languages and nothing gives you the power of PB (except maybe straight "C", which is a painful write-only language). PB's syntax is easy to understand, using plain English words and structured if written by a seasoned programmer.

Once you've learned the Windows API, programming in PB is a breeze, and of course we have this forum for any questions..
                        That sounds interesting.

In VB.NET some controls can be a little slow, like the LISTVIEW control. I'm talking about adding items and sorting. Does PB use the same controls or is it in PB different eg. faster/smoother?

Comment

I know about the money-back guarantee, although it's not unconditional according to what I've read. Correct me if I'm wrong
                          I am not now, have never been, nor am ever likely to be an employee, agent, officer or director of PowerBASIC Inc.

If you want corrrections or clarifications please contact [email protected].

MCM
                          Michael Mattias
                          Tal Systems (retired)
                          Port Washington WI USA
                          [email protected]

Comment

Marc,
                            the following change knocks another 25% off the time in John's code above:
                            remove:
                            Code:
                            dDouble AS DOUBLE,
                            Add the line:
                            Code:
                            REGISTER dDouble AS EXT
                            It calculates more accurately than a double as it uses an 80bit extended FP value instead of a 52bit DOUBLE FP value (so may give slightly different results) but it stores dDouble in a register which runs faster.
                            9216 bytes. How's that possible?
                            9216 = 9 x 1k. If the block size on disk is 1k then any code between 8193 and 9216 bytes will occupy 9216 bytes on disk.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                              I am not now, have never been, nor am ever likely to be an employee, agent, officer or director of PowerBASIC Inc.

If you want corrrections or clarifications please contact [email protected].

MCM
                              Sorry if you misunderstood me.

I know you're not part of the PB staff and I certainly *not* intended to try changing the policy of PB just for my sake. I was just expressing what I've read.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Dixon View Post
                                It calculates more accurately than a double as it uses an 80bit extended FP value instead of a 52bit DOUBLE FP value (so may give slightly different results) ....
                                I really not have a clue what you're saying there (yet) . But I'm sure in a while, after I've studied PB more, I will.
                                Last edited by Marc van Breemen; 5 Sep 2009, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Marc,
                                  Maybe someone can optimize the code to give PureBasic a honest comparison
                                  You're more likely to get that at the PureBasic forum.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Dixon View Post
                                    Marc,

You're more likely to get that at the PureBasic forum.

Paul.
                                    I know, but I won't do that as I doubt that the results will improve that much to go beyond PowerBasic's results so far. Besides that I don't think PureBasic is mature enough language wise to see it as an alternative for VB.NET/PB.

It's cheap (79 euro) with free updates "for life", which sounds better than PB but isn't. I don't think you can have a serious long standing business if you're practically give away your product like they do.

Comment

Marc,
                                      I really not have a clue what you're saying hear (yet)
                                      Don't worry about it. Attched is a program with the one change mentioned so you can see if it is faster or not.

Paul.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Marc,
                                        just a thought on the speed of your Purebasic example.
                                        If you're using the demo version then I think it might run with the debugger enabled at all times. For a fair speed comparrison you need to run with the debugger turned off.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
                                        X