Access of dbf file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access of dbf file

I need to access FoxPro table (dbf file) to write, append, edit, and delete records.
    I also need to modify IDX (index file). Any third party products or code examples in Power Basic?

There's a bunch of PD code floating around to handle xBase "*.dbf" files, but IIRC, the xBase index file formats have remained proprietary and I;ve never seen any code to update them.

There's some stuff on "DBF" at wosit at http://www.wotsit.org which might be useful.

MCM
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems (retired)
    Port Washington WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Joshua --

> Any third party products

You bet! Click on the first link at the bottom of this message, and you'll see information about my company's SQL Tools add-on, which is now available directly from PowerBASIC's web site.

SQL Tools will allow your PB/DLL and PB/CC programs to use FoxPro databases, or any of 50 other popular database formats.

Search this BBS for "SQL Tools" and you will find a lot of messages about it, with many (if I do say so myself) very positive comments from SQL Tools users.

-- Eric Pearson, Perfect Sync Software

------------------
      Perfect Sync Development Tools
      Perfect Sync Web Site
      Contact Us: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
      "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Joshua,

I second the SQL Tools option!

SQL Tools is probably the best quality application I've seen in
        a long time. Very detailed manual, and straight forward
        syntax. You can open up any database that has an ODBC interface.

------------------
        -Greg
        -Greg
        [email protected]
        MCP,MCSA,MCSE,MCSD

Comment

Joshua,
          If you want to do it the hard way, I have declarations and a program to open, read, display and write subsets of dBaseIV compatible files (foxpro DOS used to use this format). I haven't done anything with the index files though.
          regards,

------------------
          [email protected]
          :) IRC :)

Comment

Here are the options I know of that will be able to take advantage of the fox .idx (and .cdx) indices ...
            1. ODBC via Eric's SQL Tools - you could also do it by directly calling ODBC, but eric's tools make it *much* less compilated
            2. 3rd party engine - Both Codebase and Artemis can do it. codebase is www.sequiter.com, artemis is www.vistasoftware.com

If you don't need the indices then there are bunch more options - bullet from www.40th.com, many different free dbase wrappers found here, etc.
            Best Regards,
            Don

------------------
            dickinson.basicguru.com
            Don Dickinson
            www.greatwebdivide.com

Comment

Don,

Thank you very much for your information.

Joshua

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pearson:
                Joshua --

> Any third party products

You bet! Click on the first link at the bottom of this message, and you'll see information about my company's SQL Tools add-on, which is now available directly from PowerBASIC's web site.

SQL Tools will allow your PB/DLL and PB/CC programs to use FoxPro databases, or any of 50 other popular database formats.

Search this BBS for "SQL Tools" and you will find a lot of messages about it, with many (if I do say so myself) very positive comments from SQL Tools users.

-- Eric Pearson, Perfect Sync Software

Eric,

I will definitely have a good look at your product.
                Thank you for your prompt reply.

Joshua

------------------

Comment

Ian,

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to have a look at the code you have written for handling the dbf files.

Thank you in advance,

Joshua

------------------

Comment

Sure Joshua, just give me an address to email it to, or email me a request and I'll reply to it.
                    regards,

------------------
                    [email protected]
                    :) IRC :)

Comment

Joshua,
                      Check out the Cheetah Database System (written in PowerBASIC)
                      I use it with FoxPro files with no problem.

It's small and fast (46k) and there is a demo at the website.
                      http://www.planetsquires.com

Regards,
                      --Bob

------------------
                      "It was too lonely at the top".

Comment

Joshua,

I agree with Bob. I have been using Cheetah since it became available
                        to use in a FoxPro ap that I am converting to PB. I am quite happy with
                        it. A client server version is supposed to be ready sometime this fall.

The Cheetah function calls are easy to use and it is really quick.

Regards,

Bruce

------------------

Comment

Bob,

Thank you very much. I have already downloaded the demo version of Cheetah.

Joshua

Originally posted by Bob Houle:
                          Joshua,
                          Check out the Cheetah Database System (written in PowerBASIC)
                          I use it with FoxPro files with no problem.

It's small and fast (46k) and there is a demo at the website.
                          http://www.planetsquires.com

Regards,
                          --Bob

------------------

Comment

Bruce,

Thank you very much. As I replied to Bob,I have already downloaded the demo version of Cheetah.

Joshua

Originally posted by Bruce H. Warner:
                            Joshua,

I agree with Bob. I have been using Cheetah since it became available
                            to use in a FoxPro ap that I am converting to PB. I am quite happy with
                            it. A client server version is supposed to be ready sometime this fall.

The Cheetah function calls are easy to use and it is really quick.

Regards,

Bruce

------------------

Comment

For settling out given problem you may use repair .dbf. It owns all necessary facilities allowing to wok out almost every trouble associated with corrupted or lost dbf files after power failures, viruses and etc. problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X