Trouble installing and running IDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble installing and running IDE

I just got a new computer and the very first things I transferred to it was PB/DLL 6.0. When I try to compile anything, it get an incorrect path error (493) on WIN32API.INC. This happens, even though I have confirmed the path many times (using "Windows/Options/Compiler/Paths). The same thing happened to all my other include files until I put them in the same directory as the *.bas file I'm compiling.

Any ideas what is happenning?

My path is "D:\Program Files\PBDLL60\WINAPI". I've also used "D:\PROGRA~1\PBDLL60\WINAPI". Yes, it is on "D:" not "C:".

I even tried a fully qualified path name in my #INCLUDE statement (both ways) with the same error.

Thanks,
    Dale

------------------

> the very first things I transferred to it was PB/DLL 6.0.

Did you simply copy the files, or did you use the installation program?

-- Eric

------------------
    Perfect Sync Development Tools
    Perfect Sync Web Site
    Contact Us: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

I reinstalled them from my original PB disks.

Dale

------------------

Comment

Try reinstalling it to D:\PBDLL60 (ie, a SFN path name not a LFN path name).

While the IDE handles LFN paths, the compiler itself is a 16-bit application (which produces 32-bit programs!) and it does not currently support LFN's.

------------------
        Lance
        PowerBASIC Support
        mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
        Lance
        mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Thanks, Lance

I will try that.

However, the path on my old computer where I'm removing it was:
          C:\Program Files\Programming\PBDLL60

and, it worked just fine there....

Dale

------------------

Comment

The drive number (C:, D:, etc) is irrelevent as long as the INCLUDE path is specified correctly. For example, I have PB/DLL running on Drive F:, PB/CC running on drive G: and have even tested it on a mapped drive from across the network.

I'll be surprised if reinstalling to a SFN path does not solve the problem...

------------------
            Lance
            PowerBASIC Support
            Lance

Comment

Lance,

I understand, but I don't think I communicated to you. My point was not about the drive. Rather, I have been using a LFN path without any problems at all on my old computer. Why would there be a problem now?

Anyway, I will try reinstalling it as you suggested.

Dale

------------------

Comment

Once you solve the installation problem, I guess that should become clear...

------------------
                Lance
                PowerBASIC Support
                Lance

Comment

Lance,

I agree, once I solve the problem, I won't have the question!!

I did what you suggested. It was only a partial solution. The compiler can now find Win32API.inc, but it does not find any other include files. My project include files are in "D:\Project", well within the 8.3 limitation of 16 bit DOS.

1) So, what now?

2) That still does not answer my question as to why it worked just fine on my old machine with LFN's.

Dale

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dale Gillilan (edited August 10, 2001).]

Comment

My suggestion, having experienced this only once...
                    Run the uninstall (If any), if not run regedit and clean out the powerbasic registry entries...

Now, I have successfully copied the entire powerbasic PB/DLL from my server to my laptop MANY MANY times without installing, then I run the options to set the pathing and options...works like a champ.

But, when I had an install issue initially I went back and reinstalled after doing a cleanup and that fixed it.
                    I forget if it's under HKEY_LOCAL_USER OR HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE but there seemed to only be one major powerbasic entry...

Done this on 98 and Nt and Win2k pro and server...

The other thing you *could* do if you have access to the old drive is run regedit and click on teh powerbasic regkey, click Registry/Export Registry file, then go import it the same way in the new computer...old settings are then brought over to the new computer..

Is it supported? Probably not...but it works....

Running an AMD by chance?

------------------
                    Scott
                    Scott Turchin
                    MCSE, MCP+I
                    http://www.tngbbs.com
                    ----------------------
                    True Karate-do is this: that in daily life, one's mind and body be trained and developed in a spirit of humility; and that in critical times, one be devoted utterly to the cause of justice. -Gichin Funakoshi

Comment

Thanks, Scott.

I tried uninstall and reinstall. No improvment.

I looked at the registry on my old system... there are tons of PB entries! Where do I start?

Where did you set the options in PB? Was it in "Windows/Options/Compiler"? That shows the correct path (on both systems). It worked on my old one, but won't work on my new one. It won't even recognize the include files in the same directory as my .BAS file... Is there another place where options should be set?

Thanks,
                      Dale

------------------

Comment

Make sure that your Include and RcInclude paths are plain 8.3 paths.
                        They must not contain spaces or quotation marks. It may be worth
                        entering these paths again, just to make sure that there are no spaces
                        at the start or end of the path.

The Include path setting allows for path lists, where the individual
                        paths are delimited by semicolons. So, your paths should not themselves
                        contain semicolons.

Make sure all of the compiler paths are 8.3 also.

If this still doesn't do it, try compiling from the command line rather
                        than from the IDE. This may provide additional information.

------------------
                        Tom Hanlin
                        PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Thanks, Tom, but no go!!

The paths are all 8.3, as I said before. There are no spaces or extra characters.

I tried running the compiler from DOS and got the exact same error message (493: can't find WIN32API.INC).

Now what?

And, Scott, I am running Intel.

Dale

------------------

Comment

Did you specify the location of the include files on the PBDLL command line?
                            It should look something like this:

d:\pbdll60\bin\pbdll -id:\pbdll60\winapi program.bas

If Win32API.inc is actually in that directory and 8.3 filespecs are used,
                            I don't know of anything that could prevent it from functioning. Unless,
                            perhaps, you override the directory in your #INCLUDE statement...?

------------------
                            Tom Hanlin
                            PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Hi Dale,

Just a thought, since you have not posted any of
                              your source code...

Perhaps you are #INCLUDE-ing another .INC file which in
                              turn includes WIN32API.INC if it has not yet been included
                              (ala COMMCTRL.INC or COMDLG32.INC) and they are specifying
                              the wrong path?

------------------
                              Bernard Ertl
                              Bernard Ertl
                              InterPlan Systems

Comment

Tom (and Bern)

The include statement reads:

#INCLUDE "Win32api.inc"

so, I don't think I'm overriding the path. (If I am, I always have and it's worked fine before.)

I tried it again, Tom... with the very same result (error 493).

What now???

Dale

------------------

Comment

Hmm. "Compiler file not found/accessible." Presuming that it can actually
                                  be found, the problem then would seem to be that the compiler can't read it.
                                  Have you rebooted your computer recently? Perhaps something has the file
                                  locked so that it can't be opened. Or, if you're using NT, Windows 2000, or
                                  XP, perhaps you don't have the appropriate access rights with the logon
                                  you're using. Can you load Win32API.inc into a text editor?

------------------
                                  Tom Hanlin
                                  PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Tom,

I just opened it with Wordpad with no problems. I read all the way to what appears to be the end of the file.

I'm running Win 98.

I have rebooted today... several times...

Is there anything I need to do to a .bat file or other file that is used to initialize the compiler?

Dale

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dale Gillilan (edited August 10, 2001).]

Comment

"Tons of PB entries in the registry"? Maybe fault is there? Think only
                                      one needed is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PowerBASIC\PB/DLL\6.00\Compiler

If more PB entries is there, maybe compiler reads first if can find
                                      and if that is old one, wrong paths will be given. Manual editing
                                      of the registry, to check and correct paths maybe will help.

------------------

Comment

The compiler doesn't use the registry entries. Those are just for the IDE.
                                        If it's not working with the compiler (PBDLL.EXE) from the command line...
                                        either there's something seriously wrong with the computer (unlikely), or
                                        some small, simple error is being made that will cause great "D'oh!"s to
                                        rise from the land presently (likely). Unfortunately, it can be hard to
                                        diagnose this sort of problem without being there.

------------------
                                        Tom Hanlin
                                        PowerBASIC Staff

Comment

Working...
                                        X