Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I find all the net names (not IP addresses) of the server and terminals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agustin Tristan-Lopez
    Guest replied
    Hello.
    I have a test scoring on a net, the items are on the server and I need to pass some instrctions to
    the terminals that are authorized to work with me, therefore I need and address and we've seen that
    using the name such as \terminal1\c, or \accounting\c, we can easily do things such as:

redim MyTerminal$(50)
    Myterminal$(1)="\accounting\c"
    FileWithItems$=MyTerminal$(1)+":Name.dat"
    open FileWithItems for output as #1
    ' at this point I can send the items assigned specifically
    ' to the terminal according to the area to be evaluated
    close 1

I can switch from a terminal to other accoring to the listing of terminals
    and I left windows to administer the communication between me and
    the terminals as I see all of them as part of the "local" tree on the server.
    On the other side, at the terminal I can see the server the same way
    using the variable
    MyServer$="\\digital\server\c"
    FileWithAnswers$=Myserver$+":answers.dat"
    open FileWithAnswers$ for append as #1
    ' here I send back to the server the answers from the student
    close 1

I hope this explanation helps.
    Regards
    Agustin

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Agustin Tristan-Lopez
    Guest replied
    Hi Lance:
    I have a test scoring on line, the items are on the server and I need to pass some instrctions to
    the terminals that are authorized to work with me, therefore I need and address and we've seen that
    using the name such as \terminal1\c, or \accounting\c, we can easily do things such as:

redim MyTerminal$(50)
    Myterminal$(1)="\accounting\c"
    FileWithItems$=MyTerminal$(1)+":Name.dat"
    open FileWithItems for output as #1
    ' at this point I can send the items assigned specifically
    ' to the terminal according to the area to be evaluated
    close 1

I can switch from a terminal to other accoring to the listing of terminals
    and I left windows to administer the communication between me and
    the terminals as I see all of them as part of the "local" tree on the server.
    On the other side, at the terminal I can see the server the same way
    using the variable
    MyServer$="\\digital\server\c"
    FileWithAnswers$=Myserver$+":answers.dat"
    open FileWithAnswers$ for append as #1
    ' here I send back to the server the answers from the student
    close 1

I hope this explanation helps.
    Regards
    Agustin

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Lance Edmonds
    replied
    You can get the name of the "local" PC that app is running on with the GetComputerName() API.

This name forms the "base" portion of the UNC name, ie, A machine called "Accounting" will have the UNC name "\\Accounting"

Maybe your "terminals" can use this API and pass the results back to the "server"? What do you exactly want to achieve with this information?

------------------
    Lance
    PowerBASIC Support
    mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Leave a comment:

• Agustin Tristan-Lopez
    Guest replied
    Hello: Thank you for your comment.
    In fact if you go to the windows explorer, and you see the server tree,
    you may see a folder for the hard disk as c, a folder for the CDROM as d, terminals on the net will be presented with a shared folder
    (a small hand is below the folder to simulate sharing) and the name declared by the user, for instance "accounting", or "terminal2". If you clic
    the folder of terminal 2, you´ll see the drive c of that terminal and other directories.
    On the other side, if you're on the computer whose name is "terminal2", you´ll see the server with the
    folder and the hand in the shared directories, the server has a name such as "digital/server" and c is the local drive of the server.
    I tried to explain what I can see in Windows explorer, but I cannot get the names "terminal2" or "digital\server".
    Regards

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Bud Durland
    replied
    A notation like "\\terminal\c" is really describing a share: \\terminal is the name of the server and \c is the shared resource on that server.

Perhaps there's a WinAPI function that can be used to list the visible shares on a server?

------------------
    [email protected]
    http://www.northnet.org/bdurland

Leave a comment:

• How can I find all the net names (not IP addresses) of the server and terminals?

I can get the IP of the computer where I'm running my program as server, for instance 123.123.123, and I can get the IP of the terminals, also 123.123.123,
    nevertheless there is also a name of the terminals such as \\accounting\c, \\terminal1\c, \\manager\c, and the server is \\digital\server\c. Those names are shown in the tree of the server where
    IP addresses are not shown, instead the name is present. For the user the IP has no meaning and the name he assigns is more suitable to be refered by my program.
    How can I get all those names (for the server and the terminals)?
    Best regards.

------------------
Working...
X