• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treeview Get Image

Hi there,
    does anyone know how to get the index of an image from the selected item
    in a treeview control. It's propably simple. I've beeing searching
    up and down in all forums but couldn't find any answer yet.

Thanks ahead.
    Thomas

------------------
    [email protected]

It's been a while, but I believe you use send a %TVM_GETITEM message to the control and the image index number is found in the TV_ITEM structure that is filled by the control.

------------------
    Lance
    PowerBASIC Support
    mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
    Lance
    mailto:[email protected]

Comment

Thomas,

If you download the free TinyHelp project from my web site, you'll find it includes
      a function TVW_GetImage() that does does exactly this. The project also includes lots
      more useful code, including code for the treeview control.

Here's the function -
      Code:
        function TVW_GetImage( byval hTree as long, byval hItem as long ) as long

'Purpose : Returns the ordinal of the item's bitmap ; if the item is not
          '          found, returns -1
          '
          local ti as TV_ITEM

ti.hItem = hItem                                              'set up the item structure
          ti.mask  = %TVIF_HANDLE or %TVIF_IMAGE                        'these are the valid fields

if TreeView_GetItem( hTree, ti ) = 0 then                     'fetch info about the new item
            function = -1
          else
            function = ti.iImage
          end if

end function
      Regards,

Paul

------------------
      http://www.zippety.net
      mailto[email protected][email protected]</A>
      Zippety Software, Home of the Lynx Project Explorer
      My e-mail

Comment

Thanks guys,

last question about this.
        Is there anything wrong with this snippet?
        Because, if I click onto a node. Not this image is changed but the
        image of the node I'm leaving I mean from the previous node. I don't get it.

CASE %WM_NOTIFY
        tagNMHDR = CBLPARAM
        IF (@tagNMHDR.Code = %TVN_SELCHANGED) AND _
        (@tagNMHDR.IdFrom = %ID_TREE) THEN
        hTV = CBLPARAM
        i = @hTV.ItemNew.hItem
        pItem.hItem = i
        pItem.mask = %TVIF_TEXT OR %TV_IMAGE
        pItem.pszText = VARPTR(zt) 'get the text
        pItem.cchTextMax = %MAX_PATH
        TreeView_GetItem @tagNMHDR.hWndFrom, pItem
        '// here I try to change the image
        pItem.hItem = i 'this one and the next one should be still in struct but just in case
        pItem.mask = %TVIF_TEXT OR %TV_IMAGE
        pItem.iImage = newimage_index
        TreeView_SetItem @tagNMHDR.hWndFrom, pItem
        END IF

Is there a refresh needed for the control? If yes please how?

Thanks ahead
        Thomas

------------------
        [email protected]

Comment

Paul,

I should better take a look before the other reply!
          I think the Tiny Help answers all my questions.

Good job.
          Many Thanks.
          Thomas

------------------
          [email protected]

Comment

You are only setting the non-selected image (TI.iImage). Why not specify the TI.iSelectedImage when you add the item initially to the treeview?

If necessary, you can refresh the control with CALL UpdateWindow(hTree), but it seems that you just need to adjust your approach slightly.

BTW, anyone written a virtual-treeview (something faster than the native Windows one?). (hint hint!)

------------------
            Lance
            PowerBASIC Support
            Lance

Comment

Lance,

Yes Sir, absolutely. That was the mistake iSelectedImage - Stupid.

Thanks.
              Thomas

------------------
              [email protected]

Comment

Thomas,

I believe the correct way to set up item images to reflect their state is to use a state
                mask, which is a feature offered by the treeview control. In TinyHelp, I manage state
                images in code, simply because I had got it working before I discovered state masks. If
                you're interested in pursuing this, Rector & Newcomer cover it in detail. HTH -

Lance,

A virtual treeview eh, hmm. The Softel treeview control ( http://www.softelvdm.com ) has a
                virtual mode, but I think it's only when it's being used as a listview (ie: with
                only a single level of indentation). Also Sheridan (or whatever they're called these days)
                sell an ActiveX tree with two virtual modes - one mode retains data from 'ground covered',
                and the other always refreshes data as new ground is covered.

Quite a job I'd say. To date I've been able to avoid the need for a virtual mode by, if
                necessary, delaying node population until the user demands a node expansion, for example
                when drilling down through client-server data. Also, I usually use WM_SETREDRAW to prevent
                the tree redrawing itself during loading and expanding, which provides an enormous speed
                increase. For example in Lynx, all nodes are populated when a project loads, and when
                loaded with the Lynx project itself, currently that's 4600 nodes, and they load seemingly
                instantly (shameless plug )

But to return to your question, I imagine you'd implement such a scheme by populating
                tree nodes purely from a callback fired by the tree, or at least, from a worker thread
                acting on the tree's behalf. What's not clear is the algorithm you might use to determine
                which nodes need to be added to, for instance if you have some level of child-node
                expansion and the user then decides to scroll down some. Or even collapses a child node,
                at some level of indentation. 'Gives me a headache just thinking about it

Regards,

Paul

------------------
                mailto[email protected][email protected]</A>
                Zippety Software, Home of the Lynx Project Explorer
                My e-mail

Comment

Of course, there are many ways to achieve the goal, but if one of our resident Custom Control guru's has created one already...

BTW, 4600 items? Thats nothing! Try loading a treeview with 1,000,000 non-expanded sub-items, then press * at the root level. You can go away and comeback another day and it will still be running...

While a million items seems excessive (and is probably bad app design to allow it), the TV control does allow it (although virtual memory gets a hammering at that level!)

------------------
                  Lance
                  PowerBASIC Support
                  Lance

Comment

Working...
                  X