#RESOURCE problems with Error 478 : Resource file error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George,
    1. I unzipped CFGMaint on my desktop in CFGMaint folder, which is not excluded from my Windows Defender.
    2. Add sqlite3.dll in the folder so program would execute.
    3. Compiled a few times an I got a "#RESOURCE problems with Error 478 : Resource file error" multiple times.
    4. I added the CFGMaint folder to my exclusion list in Windows Defender.
    5. Compiled many multiple times and no error.
    6. Removed CFGMaint folder from my exclusion list in Windows Defender.
    7. Compiled a few times an I got a "#RESOURCE problems with Error 478 : Resource file error" multiple times again.
    I repeated 4,5,6,7 a few times and got the same results.

So in my computer (Win10, SSD Local, with Windows Defender) it appears the AV is the cause, and adding the folder to exclusion list fixes it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-c301afe13b26
    Last edited by Rod Macia; 11 Oct 2021, 05:21 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Rod: OK, I'll retry flipping AV settings around and see if I can duplicate your results.

Comment

Rod: Well, obviously Defender is quite sensitive. With no exemption (I've never, in many years, ever had to run with my folder in the exemption list) I still had to fiddle with the #DEBUG and #TOOL settings until one of the combinations triggered the error.

Then adding the folder to the exemption list allowed the compile with those settings to complete normally. So you are quite right, AV is the culprit.

I guess it must be PB's processing of the RESOURCE (I assume by RC.EXE) that triggers it.

But when the folder is not in the exemption list, having some compiles work, and some not, based on various compiler directives certainly points one in the direction of the compiler.

Thanks for your efforts.

George

Comment

Rod: Further.

With my normal folder in the exemption list, I went back to the alternate one (the one I Zipped and uploaded, and which is NOT in the exemption list)

No matter what combination of compiler directives I choose, it always compiles without an error. As it did yesterday when I created the folder.

I give up. Nothing fully makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by George Deluca View Post
            Then adding the folder to the exemption list allowed the compile with those settings to complete normally. So you are quite right, AV is the culprit.

I guess it must be PB's processing of the RESOURCE (I assume by RC.EXE) that triggers it.
            No surprise there. We are well aware of that issue.
            DId you ever read Post #24 which was immediately before your first post - and which has been pointed out in other posts?
            If you had and tried your solution initially , we may not have needed the last 20 posts.
            It says:
            #RESOURCE Error Solved
            It turned out the problem was my anti-virus reporting a false positive.... Turning off the A/V momentarily during compile solved this problem.

But when the folder is not in the exemption list, having some compiles work, and some not, based on various compiler directives certainly points one in the direction of the compiler.
            No, it points in the direction of the A/V software triggering incorrectly on different things during the compile process

Comment

I guess it must be PB's processing of the RESOURCE (I assume by RC.EXE) [BOLD mine MCM] that triggers it.
              I would not assume RC.EXE is part of the PB technique for creating and including program resources. The format of resources within an EXE or DLL file is well-documented and there is no reason to suppose the PowerBASIC compiler writers wouldn't just format these data correctly and include in the compiled file. I meman, they are creating the compiled executable anyway.
              Michael Mattias
              Tal Systems (retired)
              Port Washington WI USA
              [email protected]
              http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                I would not assume RC.EXE is part of the PB technique for creating and including program resources. The format of resources within an EXE or DLL file is well-documented and there is no reason to suppose the PowerBASIC compiler writers wouldn't just format these data correctly and include in the compiled file. I meman, they are creating the compiled executable anyway.
                Good call! To test that, I just renamed RC.exe to xRC.exe and RCDLL.DLL to xRCDLL.DLL in PBWIn10/bin and compiled an application which included #RESOURCE statements with no problem.

Comment

Working...
                X