Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to install entire Windows SDK - or just extract what I need from the ISO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to install entire Windows SDK - or just extract what I need from the ISO?

Getting ready to install PowerBASIC. I downloaded the Windows SDK ISO (1.2 GB) and wondered if I need to install that huge resource - or is there a a subset of the SDK that I can extract for use with PB?

Hi Bruce,

for use with PB you don´t need anything of it - except for the documentation. PB comes with all necesscary header files, and there is a second, extremly comprehensive (and in my view even better) header file set form José Roca. Unfortunately i don´t know of any way to install the documentation without the rest of the SDK, but the documentation (in my view) is worth it.

JK

Comment

Was there something specific you wanted in SDK?

I've found all I need in a normal Windows install (API) to compile programs with PB. Installing the Windows and API documents might be useful. (for those times when the Internet is too slow to use MSDN)
      Dale

Comment

There are a couple sites where you can download just the WIN32API help file and then have it come up in your PBWin editor.

Comment

Bruce,

The Windows API are functions available from DLLs which are installed as part of the Windows installation. That means you do NOT have to install the SDK to write your applications because the SDK is NOT adding API. Instead, the Windows SDK provides you with a variety of tools, compilers, headers, libraries, code samples and documentation. I personally use the API documentation found at MSDN, although I know other programmers who like the API documentation that comes with the Windows SDK.

To use API functions, you add Declare statements to your application source code, where the Declare statements give the name of the function and the DLL which contains the functions. The compiler uses that information to make the functions available to your EXE during execution.

To make it easy for you, the Declare statements have already been written for many of the WIndows API and have been placed in "include" files - which are just libraries of source code (and comments). You add includes files to your PowerBASIC applications with lines of code like this:

Code:
          #Include "win32api.inc"
          The PowerBASIC-supplied include files are found in the "winapi" subfolder where you installed PowerBASIC.

A second, more comprehensives, set of include files has been provided by Jose Roca. Because his includes cover a broader range of API, many of us use his includes. His also provide some very useful code, such as for adding a browser to your applications. Others find that the PowerBASIC include files cover their needs. The two sets of include files are NOT compatible with each other. You must use one set or the other. You can select which set of includes to use from within the PowerBASIC IDE.

Sorry if that was too basic an explanation, but I wasn't sure from your question quite how I should answer.

Comment

Thanks folks! I just wanted the help file - which I couldn't figure out how to extract separately from the whole SDK. Conrad, I searched online and found Laurence Jackson's recreation of the Win32.chm file - so that part is good. And Gary, if I had been clearer in my initial question, you would not have had to type so much! Sorry, but I was mentally stuck on just getting the help file out of the big, stupid SDK ISO - so I forgot to tell anyone what I actually wanted from the SDK.

NOW: If I remember correctly, I used to be able to, in addition to the normal PB help, have the PB IDE bring up context help for the Win32 API. But I don't see anywhere in the IDE's options to point it to the Win32.chm file. Is that just an old programmer's bad memory - or am I missing the option somewhere?

Comment

I just did this a week ago but can't find the info again. There's a file you have to manually edit to point to the help file. Hopefully somebody knows. That puts the help option on the drop-down menu, but I don't know if it's context sensitive.

Comment

See "Adding your own Help files" in PB Help. (basically, you create a .PBKeys file to point to your additional Help file)

--
                [URL="http://www.camcopng.com"]CAMCo - Applications Development & ICT Consultancy[/URL][URL="http://www.hostingpng.com"]
                PNG Domain Hosting[/URL]

Comment

To Gary Beene:
                  I thank you very much for your reply on this topic. Your contribution has answered some questions that I've been a little reticent to ask for fear of retribution from 1900.
                  I've passed the 80 mark and tend to forget things on a temporary basis. Those who are in advanced age will know what I'm writing about. We recall things when we don't need them but can't recall them when they are needed.
                  Regards,
                  Brian Reynolds.
                  Brian.

Comment

Hi Brian!
                    You're quite welcome, and I'm glad to hear my post helped out.

I fully understand your comment about forgetting things. One funny thing that has happened to me on these forums is that I will ask a question - especially to Jose - only for him to respond that I asked that same question a few years ago. It's happened several times! I seem to spread my attention to a wide range of topics and it's not unusual for me to have to "re-learn" something on a regular basis.

Comment

Thanks a lot Gary! That got me straightened out!
                      Bruce

Comment

Working...
                      X