DLL embedded into powerbasic exe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dale,

If you embedded it, it would be the worst of both worlds, I was simply referring to reasons why an external DLL would be useful.
    hutch at movsd dot com
    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

I'll go along with that. I must have been influenced by subject of thread.

Later,
      Dale

Comment

Take a perfectly working single executable application, remove part of it and place that into a DLL and see what gain you get and the answer is simple, none.
        You gain the ability to update the application with enhanced versions of procedures without touching AND RE-TESTING all the other code in the application.

Disclaimer: You do not realize this gain if you A) are a sloppy tester anyway; B) never anticipate what procedures might require update; or C) simply lack the imagination needed to be a good developer anyway. .

MCM

Comment

> A) are a sloppy tester anyway
          If your code is so badly written that you cannot update it efficiently, you probably need a runtime DLL.

> B) never anticipate what procedures might require update
          See A.

> C) simply lack the imagination needed to be a good developer anyway. .
          Or worse still, you don't need lousy code design to make up for lousy design work.
          hutch at movsd dot com
          The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Semen and Lothar have done this long ago (search in POFF).

Patrice Terrier
            www.zapsolution.com
            www.objreader.com
            Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

I haven't used EnigmaProtector recently so got it out and gave it a try with latest version of Windows 10.
              1. Added main program which is a remote client for SQLitening
              2. Added 5 DLL's and a default setup text file in the Virtual Box section.
              3. Clicked protect
              4. Copied new executable to a remote machine
              5. Downloaded from another machine
              6. It automatically downloaded and saved to c:\users\username\downloads on other machine
              7. Opened program and it runs exactly the same, but started slowly.
              8. Copied the program from the downloads folder to a folder that is excluded from Windows Defender Virus Checker.
              9. Now starts as fast (maybe faster) than original program.

Haven't tried the free Enigma VirtualBox, but if it is as good as the paid Enigma Protector, add another vote for this excellent software.
              https://www.tesla.com/roadster

Comment

removed
                Last edited by Patrice Terrier; 6 Apr 2018, 10:09 AM.
                Patrice Terrier
                www.zapsolution.com
                www.objreader.com
                Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

Mike, do you think the files where in a cache that gave the better speed.
                  FWIW, I have turned off and killed windows defender any place that i find it on any machine.
                  Only place that i could possibly use it might be a down load directory, but there is virustotal.com.
                  In the case your indexing it turned on, that is a good place viruses can be loaded from what i have read.
                  p purvis

Comment

I just downloaded it again and placed into a new folder.
                    It took about 3.5 seconds to start.
                    Tried multiple times and it stayed at about 3.5 seconds
                    Went into Windows Defender and this time excluded the file c:\cache\d.exe
                    Now it starts instantly.
                    I will send you a link to try if you want to test it there.

It is definitely Windows Defender virus protection that is slowing it down.
                    https://www.tesla.com/roadster

Comment

Working...
                    X