No announcement yet.

Set Copy Priority

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience is it depends on whether it is the size of files or number of files.
    Where file size is the problem then not much you can do about it as it will be limited by the slowest connection link between the two locations being speed of the hardware or network link.
    If it is the number of files then do them in small batches.When Windows copies via a simple "drag and drop" it builds an entire "to do" work list including reversal information if cancelled. With copying (or deleting) thousands of files this uses up massive amounts of temporary memory and time just planning the operation. Simple test, create a folder wit say 100,000 files, they can be small,named so easy to select in groups. Time copying all at once (by file name not folder name) then do again 10,000 at a time and the again 1,000 at a time.

Comment

Gary, you did not ask for this but you might be interested in the program "mkisofs.exe" and you can get it from the wusuoffline updater in the ususoffline114.zip file that is recent as of now.
      You can find a cmd file that uses the command. I just copied over my windows 7 directory to another directory and created an iso file from about 62500 files totaling about 12.5 gig of file space.
      There was no compression involved and my system is a windows 7 32 bit with 1TB ssd.
      I really think a non ssd for preparing these kind of files is probably best on saving your ssd from wear.
      I took off the joliet parameter due to large file names.
      I cannot give you much information on this but i have a use for making iso files.
      The program was easy on the cpu, memory, and fast too.
      I used the vcdcontroltool to view the files of the created iso but i really need a better iso to drive emulator that is smaller and faster and more friendly to a command line.
      I did not do any testing of extracting the files from the iso and comparing to the original files either.
      p purvis

Comment

Working...
      X