• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application Icon not recognized

For years I have had a resource line
    Code:
    #RESOURCE ICON, a,        "Resource File\SPFLite10.ICO"
    and it has worked properly.

Setting up for a new release, I tweaked the old version Icon a bit using the IcoFX utility, but although the old and new versions of the Icon seem identical (other than the graphical bit pattern), the new Icon is not recognized by Windows. Each Icon contains the 48x48, 32x32, 24x24 and 16x16 variations.

I can alter the #RESOURCE statement back and forth between the two Icon files, one works, one doesn't.

Any ideas what to check?

There are many other Icons included in the EXE, the #RESOURCE line is always the first.

George

In "Windows Explorer", if you open the new icon with "Windows Photo Viewer", do you see the four formats images?

Comment

Accidentally set IcoFX to save in Apple format?

added - Though Pierre's question would probably uncover this too.
      Dale

Comment

the new Icon is not recognized by Windows.
        Does your app show the changed Icon itself (eg on the Caption Bar)?

If the problem is only with Windows not showing the changed icon it may be related to the icon cache issue discussed here.
        Rgds, Dave

Comment

I've seen cases myself where an icon editor created icons which my apps did not recognize. Did you try creating the icon somewhere else, just in case?

Comment

OK, some answers one by one, and a surprise.

Dale: No they're Windows format. (I didn't even realize IcoFX had the Mac option - it does)

Dave: Yes the application shows the normal 16x16 icon as expected, just Explorer doesn't show it on the desktop shortcut. I can open the shortcut properties where the Icon is visible, select it, but it has no effect.

Gary: I don't have another Icon editor, but that was to be my next try.

Now the surprise.

Pierre: My Win10 system didn't have the photo viewer, probably I deleted it, since it's 300 meg of bloatware. So I figured I'd give it a try. Went to the Windows store, and selected it for install. It downloaded and installed, and I clicked Launch.

I could still see my Desktop where the Icon resides, and I could see the whole desktop get refreshed as the photo viewer launched.

And the Icon magically appeared as it always should have. And of course Windows Explorer now displays the Icon properly within my Resource folder.

Windows is indeed a baffling marvel of complexity.

Comment

Instead of that MS photo viewer. you might want to have a look at (image format) viewers such as IrfanView (which also seems to be available in the Windows App Store) or XnView. I find those superior over the MS viewer.
              Last edited by Knuth Konrad; 14 Jun 2018, 06:00 AM. Reason: Link fixed

Comment

Knuth: I have had IrfanView installed for years, nice tool. I displayed the icon just fine.

George

Comment

There's another images related Windows setting which might or might not be the culprit: image caching (those pesky hidden "thumbs.db" you'll notice in every folder that has at least one file which Windows identifies as an image file format).

Here's how to turn that off: https://www.sitepoint.com/switch-off...db-in-windows/

Comment

Knuth Thanks for the tip. I too find Thumbs.db to be mostly a nuisance.

George

Comment

It's not only a nuisance, but on file servers in a corporate environment, those quickly add up to quite an amount of storage consumption. And users - used to price tags for e.g. TB-sized external USB drives of well below $100 - aren't aware that in a corporate environment storage prices per GB/TB are much higher, due to all kinds of safety/performance technologies involved (e.g. RAID).

Comment

Working...
                      X