Demo programs won't run;: receive linker error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demo programs won't run;: receive linker error

I am new to PB. I have tried to run a demo program ("character.pb") but I get two problem alerts as a result:

Error 1:

Cannot save source code!
    C:\Program Files\PureBasic\Examples\3D\Demos\character.pb

Error 2:

Linker error
    POLINK: fatal error: Access is denied.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

-- JB

Bad form to save your work to C:\Programs Files\...(anything) , or even changes to demo code that came with the installation.
    ??Perhaps Windows 7 or 10 enforces this more than previous versions??

Google on POLINK leads me to believe the demo is already running, so the .exe can't be written to by compiler. PowerBASIC will do the same thing, but I've never seen it called POLINK.

Which ties in with next thing. From path given with Error 1 description it looks like you're using PureBasic, not PowerBASIC (they are not the same thing), or are you trying to compile a PureBasic demo with PowerBASIC (but then you would probably get syntax errors before the errors you mentioned.)

If you are using PowerBASIC, and character.pb is fairly short, please post the source code. If you are using PureBasic, the question does not really belong on the PowerBASIC forum; but someone might jump in with a PureBasic answer.

Cheers,
    Dale

Comment

Originally posted by John Booth View Post
      I am new to PB. I have tried to run a demo program ("character.pb") but I get two problem alerts as a result:

Error 1:

Cannot save source code!

Wrong forum, I guess.

Comment

Well, my face is really red now! I posted my note to the wrong forumĀ“indeed! PB, PureBasic, PowerBasic. I guess I'll have to pay better attention to things! My sincere thanks to Dale, for his digging into the problem, and to Knuth for bold-facing the problem! For your info: I'm getting back into programming with BASIC, and have decided on PowerBasic and Pure Basic. The one thing that made me seemed leery about PowerBasic, was the fact that the original developer (Robert "Bob" Zale) died about 6 years ago, and in reading postings to various web fora, some mentioned that development has, essentially, stopped on the prodfuct. I won't massage this topic, as I'm sure it is mentioned somewhere in this forum. However I do want to say that I appreciate very much the rapid response to my posting. Best to you all, and I hope to be a "sensical"--as contrasted to a "nonsensical" poster.

Comment

Dale

Comment

Error 1:

Cannot save source code!

The problem is because you do not have the appropriate rights to save anything in Program Files. Just resave the code example in a directory like "My Documents" before trying to compile/run it.

Originally posted by Dale Yarker View Post
            but someone might jump in with a PureBasic answer.

This does not come up very often in the PureB community as most people either resave the code before running it, or they install PureB into a different location where "rights" are not an issue.

I pointed Fred (owner of PureB) to this thread. I am positive this will be addressed in a future release.

I'm getting back into programming with BASIC, and have decided on PowerBasic and Pure Basic.

Welcome to both communities.
            I am legally blind. Please forgive any typos. I do try and catch as many as I can.

Comment

Thank you, Brice. You folks have been a great help. (I posted the code to an alternate location--and it worked!)

Comment

My pleasure, John.
                I am legally blind. Please forgive any typos. I do try and catch as many as I can.

Comment

Working...
                X