Video Capture Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Capture Redux

Well, my interests have once again focused on capturing video from an attached camera.

I've previously used VFW, which is very clunky and hard to use when more than 1 camera is attached. It just can't see some cameras.

I've had someone build me a C# app using AForge, written so that I can control it from my own PowerBASIC app. It works, but just doesn't have as clean an interface and isn't as responsive as I'd like.

I've done a similar thing with ffmpeg - create a window that I control from a PowerBASIC app. The whole idea of another window, controlled by my PowerBASIC app, works but never seems to give a well-integrated look.

My web search often turns up a number of .NET approaches, none of which help me out with viewing the camera in a PowerBASIC app.

Terminology from my searching ...
    VFW
    MediaCapture
    CameraCaptureUI
    LaunchURIAsync
    WIA
    DirectShow
    OpenCV
    AForge
    HTML5 getUserMedia
    Win10 Camera app
    ffmpeg
    LibVLC
    Mlultimedia Streaming
    VIdeoLAN (VLC)

I guess of all that I've read, DirectShow seems to be the most compatible with PowerBASIC but also widely disparaged as poorly documented and as having a steep learning curve.

I'm pretty sure that I've spoken via PM (a few years back) about DirectShow to someone here on the forum, but I don't see any examples to help me get started.

If anyone has guidance to offer please speak up!

Gary,

If this is the same project we spoke about a year or so ago, then perhaps I can help. I haven't worked with all of the above technologies, but I have some experience with directshow in c#. So with that limited knowledge base, I agree that directshow is probably your best bet. It is awful in it's own way, but it will allow you to capture the video, run it through a filter called a "samplegrabber", modify the video as you did in the c# app we played with, and then display it. I'm on vacation now, so I'm not inclined to take time right now, but maybe next week or the weekend after this one, I can put together a little tutorial. If you can wait then I'd be glad to help out.

Russ
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers

Comment

Hi Russ!
      Yep, same project. Just trying to integrate the video into my PowerBASIC app.

Thank you for the offer and I'll look forward to hearing from you after vacation!

I'll spend time in the interim trying to get a handle on the technology - at least enough to get the most out of your tutorial!

Comment

In Jose's sub-forum is an example for displaying a video file using DirectShow. Here's an extraction of the minimal code that gets the job done. This kind of minimal code helps me understand the concepts better.

In this example, the dialog is used to display the video. It's hard wired to run the video file "bubbles.mov". When the dialog is resized, the video display is resized to fit the dialog client area, maintaining the aspect ratio of the original video.

I ran a few tests and was able to use a Label and a Graphic Control as the display window, but when resizing, both of those seem to cause flicker so I stuck with displaying the video on the Dialog itself.

Code:
        'Compilable Example:  Play Video - Minimal Code
        #Compiler PBWin 10
        #Compile Exe
        #Dim All
        %Unicode = 1
        #Include "Win32API.inc"
        #Include Once "dshow.inc"
        #Include Once "ole2utils.inc"   ' For IUnknown_Release

%IDC_Graphic = 500
        %WM_GraphNotify = %WM_User+13

Global hDlg As Dword

' Interface pointers
        Global pIGraphBuilder As IGraphBuilder
        Global pIMediaControl As IMediaControl
        Global pIMediaEventEx As IMediaEventEx
        Global pIVideoWindow  As IVideoWindow

Function PBMain() As Long
           Dialog New Pixels, 0, "Direct Show Tests",,,600,400, %WS_OverlappedWindow To hDlg
           Dialog Show Modal hDlg Call DlgProc
        End Function

CallBack Function DlgProc() As Long
           Local w,h As Long, rc As Rect
           Select Case Cb.Msg
              Case %WM_InitDialog
                 PlayMovieInWindow(hDlg, "bubbles.mov")
              Case %WM_Size
                 GetClientRect hDlg, rc
                 If IsObject(pIVideoWindow) Then
                    pIVideoWindow.SetWindowPosition(rc.Left, rc.Top, rc.Right, rc.Bottom)
                    RedrawWindow hDlg, rc, 0, %RDW_INVALIDATE Or %RDW_UPDATENOW
                 End If
           End Select
        End Function

Sub PlayMovieInWindow (ByVal hwnd As Dword, ByRef wszFileName As WStringZ)
           Local hr As Long
           pIGraphBuilder = NewCom ClsId $CLSID_FilterGraph   ' Create an instance of the IGraphBuilder object
           pIMediaControl = pIGraphBuilder                             ' Get reference pointers
           pIMediaEventEx = pIGraphBuilder
           pIVideoWindow  = pIGraphBuilder
           hr = pIGraphBuilder.RenderFile(wszFileName)        ' Render the file
           pIVideoWindow.Visible = %OATRUE                        ' Set the window properties
           pIVideoWindow.Owner = hwnd
           pIVideoWindow.WindowStyle = %WS_Child Or %WS_ClipSiblings Or %WS_ClipChildren
           pIMediaControl.Run                                                    ' Run the graph
        End Sub
        In summary, the application exposes 4 Filter Graph Manager interfaces which provide the methods needed in this app to read and display the video file.

My goal is to understand DirectShow well enough to be able to select and display a camera. What I've read so far says the ICaptureGraphBuilder2 interface will be required. I'll post more as I understand it better.

Comment

Well, after not making progress on using DirectShow for the last two years, I finally put in some extra time and got some (minimal) results.

This short code uses DirectShow to iterate through the video devices on my PC ....

Code:
          #Compile Exe
          #Dim All
          %Unicode = 1
          #Include "Win32API.inc"
             Local pSysDevEnum  As ICreateDevEnum
             Local pEnumCat     As IEnumMoniker
             Local pMoniker     As IMoniker
             Local hr           As Dword
             Local pwszDisplayName As WStringZ Ptr

pSysDevEnum = NewCom ClsId $CLSID_SystemDeviceEnum
             hr = pSysDevEnum.CreateClassEnumerator($CLSID_VideoInputDeviceCategory, pEnumCat, 0)
             If hr = %S_Ok Then ? "Success"
             Do
                hr = pEnumCat.next(1, pMoniker, pceltFetched)
                hr = pMoniker.GetDisplayName(pbc, Nothing, pwszDisplayName)
                ? @pwszDisplayName
                If hr = %S_False Then Exit Do
             Loop
          End Function
          It's hardly a monument of success - it won't exit the loop and it doesn't give the user-friendly name of the cameras. But even so, I am tickled to have made any progress - however partial it might be!

I've read that the IMONIKER::BINDTOSTORAGE method needs to be used to get the friendly name of the devices. I'll work on that next. That's all a prelude to actually displaying a live video using DirectShow.

Comment

The check for %S_FALSE is misplaced. Change it to:

Code:
            Do
               hr = pMoniker.GetDisplayName(pbc, Nothing, pwszDisplayName)
               ? @pwszDisplayName
            Loop
            To get the friendly name, you must do something like

Code:
            DIM pPropBag AS IPropertyBag
            hr = pMoniker.BindToStorage(NOTHING, NOTHING, $IID_IPropertyBag, pPropBag)
            IF SUCCEEDED(hr) THEN
               DIM varName AS VARIANT
               hr = pPropBag.Read("FriendlyName", varName, NOTHING)
               PRINT VARIANT$$(varName)
            END IF
            Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Comment

Howdy, Jose!
              Works like a charm. I'm glad to know that I wasn't on a totally wrong path. Thanks for stepping in and helping!

The complete example for enumerating video devices using DirectShow ...

Code:
              'Compilable Example:
              #Compiler PBWin 10
              #Compile Exe
              #Dim All
              %Unicode = 1
              #Include "Win32API.inc"
                 Local pSysDevEnum  As ICreateDevEnum
                 Local pEnumCat     As IEnumMoniker
                 Local pMoniker     As IMoniker
                 Local hr           As Dword
                 Local pceltFetched As Dword
                 Local pbc          As IBindCTX
                 Local pPropBag     As IPropertyBag
                 Local varName      As Variant
                 Local DeviceList$

'create the enumeration class
                 pSysDevEnum = NewCom ClsId $CLSID_SystemDeviceEnum
                 hr = pSysDevEnum.CreateClassEnumerator($CLSID_VideoInputDeviceCategory, pEnumCat, 0)
                 'now iterate the list and get the names of the attached video devicese
                 Do
                    hr = pMoniker.GetDisplayName(pbc, Nothing, pwszDisplayName)  'pwszDisplayName is name complex camera name
                    'now get the "Friendly Name"
                    hr = pMoniker.BindToStorage(Nothing, Nothing, $IID_IPropertyBag, pPropBag)
                    If SUCCEEDED(hr) Then
                       hr = pPropBag.Read("FriendlyName", varName, Nothing)
                       DeviceList$ += Variant$$(varName) + $CrLf
                    End If
                 Loop
                 ? DeviceList$
              End Function

Comment

Gary, you might pick up some help in the "Autoit" ream of things off the internet.
                Of course no promises you will but that program has really changed enough and seems close in coding to some PB needed coding that might not be found in the history of this forum.
                p purvis

Comment

Hey Paul!
                  Do you mean that the AutoIt forum might have information about DirectShow? I went to the site and did not quickly find anything that caught my attention. But, I did go into the forum and saw several threads regarding DirectShow.. I'll have to delve into the links more to see if there's content that might help out.

Comment

Just general searches
                    i searched autoit and directshow then came across what seemed helpful. Also replace directshow word with webcam
                    p purvis

Comment

Gary, I have no idea whether this can help or not.
                      It was referenced thru an autoit search.
                      http://sol.gfxile.net/escapi/
                      p purvis

Comment

Hi Paul!

Yes, thanks, I saw that too. It's not unlike VideoCapX, where a DLL has been created to provide Direct Show video capture capabilities.

I've made a note of both of those DLLs, but for now would prefer to figure out how to implement video device selection/preview using DirectShow API from within my app.

I've made some, but frustratingly slow progress over the last couple of days, so I'll keep at it for a while before considering the DLL options.

Comment

Gary, I feel the same way about my programs, I fully understand, specially on a DLL. that is not a standard windows install.
                          p purvis

Comment

I don't have success to report - success being defined as selecting a video device and Previewing it in a dialog using DirectShow.

But, I've read through the MS Video Capture section a dozen times have managed to follow their suggestions at least create a beginning of the solution.

Interestingly, the solution is turning out to be just a handful of lines of code more than the code from #7 above. You'd think a handful of lines of code would not be hard to make work, but it's been a humbling experience.

Here's the work in progress. Please take a look and let me know if you have any suggested improvements.

Code:
                            #Compile Exe
                            #Dim All
                            #Debug Error On
                            #Debug Display On
                            %Unicode = 1
                            #Include "Win32API.inc"

Global hDlg As Dword
                            Global pWindow As IVideoWindow            'Display Window

Dialog New Pixels, 0, "Direct Show - Video Preview",,,600,400, %WS_OverlappedWindow To hDlg
                            End Function

Local w,h As Long, rc As Rect
                               Select Case Cb.Msg
                                  Case %WM_InitDialog
                                     DisplayVideo hDlg, "Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920"
                                  Case %WM_Size
                                     GetClientRect hDlg, rc
                                     If IsObject(pWindow) Then
                                        pWindow.SetWindowPosition(rc.Left, rc.Top, rc.Right, rc.Bottom)
                                     End If
                               End Select
                            End Function

Sub DisplayVideo (ByVal hwnd As Dword, DeviceName$)
                               Local pGraph          As IGraphBuilder           'Filter Graph Manager
                               Local pBuild          As ICaptureGraphBuilder2   'Capture Graph Builder
                               Local pSysDevEnum     As ICreateDevEnum          'enumeration object
                               Local pEnumCat        As IEnumMoniker
                               Local pMoniker        As IMoniker                'contains information about other objects
                               Local pCap            As IBaseFilter             'Video capture filter
                               Local hr              As Dword
                               Local pceltFetched    As Dword
                               Local pPropBag        As IPropertyBag
                               Local varName         As Variant

'necessary objects
                               pGraph      = NewCom ClsId $CLSID_FilterGraph          'filter graph
                               pBuild      = NewCom ClsId $CLSID_CaptureGraphBuilder2 'capture graph builder
                               pSysDevEnum = NewCom ClsId $CLSID_SystemDeviceEnum     'enumeration object

'get the Moniker whose friendly name matches DeviceName$
                               hr = pSysDevEnum.CreateClassEnumerator($CLSID_VideoInputDeviceCategory, pEnumCat, 0)  'list of monikers for video sources
                               Do   'iterate the list until the moniker friendly name matches the chosen device
                                  hr = pMoniker.GetDisplayName(pbc, Nothing, pwszDisplayName)                 'get complex camera name
                                  hr = pMoniker.BindToStorage(Nothing, Nothing, $IID_IPropertyBag, pPropBag)  'get info about Moniker
                                  If SUCCEEDED(hr) Then
                                     hr = pPropBag.Read("FriendlyName", varName, Nothing)   'get friendly name
                                     If Variant$$(varName) = DeviceName$ Then Exit Do       'this Moniker matches the one of interst
                                  End If
                               Loop

hr = pMoniker.BindToObject(Nothing, Nothing, $IID_IBaseFilter, pCap)                  'create device filter for the chosen device
                               hr = pGraph.AddFilter(pCap,"Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920")                             'add chosen device filter to the filter graph
                               hr = pBuild.SetFilterGraph(pGraph)                                                    'initialize pBuild
                               pBuild.RenderStream $Pin_Category_Preview, $MediaType_Video, pCap, Nothing, Nothing   'render the live source

'pWindow is Global so that it can be used in %WM_Size
                               pWindow             = pGraph
                               pWindow.Visible     = %OATRUE
                               pWindow.Owner       = hwnd
                               pWindow.WindowStyle = %WS_Child Or %WS_ClipSiblings Or %WS_ClipChildren
                            End Sub

Comment

Yippee! At 9:43pm Dallas time I successfully used DirectShow to display live video from my LogiTech C920 camera and then from my Elmo LX-1 camera.

Click image for larger version  Name:	happygeek.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.0 KB ID:	776533
                              The code is not pretty, it's not optimized, I have questions about why some of it works, I still have more studying to do, I may have done a few things incorrectly, I left out debugging code, I know a few things wrong with it, it has no features of any significance and I'm certainly not the first person to ever do it. But you can't imagine how happy I was when the video popped on the screen a little while ago. I've been wanting to do this for over 3 years now. I had not been able to talk myself into taking on the learning curve of both COM and DirectShow.

I had told myself earlier today, after spending almost 4 days working with DirectShow documentation and code, that barring any immediate success that I might have to stick with an undesirable alternative, which is a C# app that uses the AForge libraries to display a camera in a Window that my PowerBASIC app can control with a registered message.

Jose's Play-a-File COM example, plus some additional tips he gave me paved the way for getting this code to work, that plus poring over the web and going over the MSDN section on DirectShow and playing with translating the C++ examples until I was blue in the face.

Ok, it's not a monumental achievement, but I'm still a very happy camper!

I'll work up something better, but here's the code that I have. Give it a try, let me know how it works, and give me any suggestions/corrections that come to mind! There are all kinds of tests, changes, corrections, improvements, features and such to think about. But the needed first step was simply to demonstrate previewing live video.

Code:
                              'Compilable Example:
                              #Compile Exe
                              #Dim All
                              #Debug Error On
                              #Debug Display On
                              %Unicode = 1
                              #Include "Win32API.inc"

$Camera = "Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920"

Global hDlg As Dword
                              Global pWindow As IVideoWindow            'Display Window

Dialog New Pixels, 0, "Direct Show - Video Preview",,,600,400, %WS_OverlappedWindow To hDlg
                              End Function

Local rc As Rect
                                 Select Case Cb.Msg
                                    Case %WM_InitDialog
                                       DisplayVideo hDlg, $Camera
                                    Case %WM_Size
                                       GetClientRect hDlg, rc
                                       If IsObject(pWindow) Then
                                          pWindow.SetWindowPosition(rc.Left, rc.Top, rc.Right, rc.Bottom)
                                       End If
                                 End Select
                              End Function

Sub DisplayVideo (ByVal hwnd As Dword, DeviceName$)
                                 Local pGraph          As IGraphBuilder           'Filter Graph Manager
                                 Local pBuild          As ICaptureGraphBuilder2   'Capture Graph Builder
                                 Local pSysDevEnum     As ICreateDevEnum          'enumeration object
                                 Local pEnumCat        As IEnumMoniker
                                 Local pMoniker        As IMoniker                'contains information about other objects
                                 Local pCap            As IBaseFilter             'Video capture filter
                                 Local pControl        As IMediaControl
                                 Local pEvents         As IMediaEventEX
                                 Local hr              As Dword
                                 Local pceltFetched    As Dword
                                 Local pPropBag        As IPropertyBag
                                 Local varName         As Variant

'necessary objects
                                 pGraph      = NewCom ClsId $CLSID_FilterGraph          'filter graph
                                 pBuild      = NewCom ClsId $CLSID_CaptureGraphBuilder2 'capture graph builder
                                 pSysDevEnum = NewCom ClsId $CLSID_SystemDeviceEnum     'enumeration object

pControl    = pGraph
                                 pEvents     = pGraph

'get the Moniker whose friendly name matches DeviceName$
                                 hr = pSysDevEnum.CreateClassEnumerator($CLSID_VideoInputDeviceCategory, pEnumCat, 0)  'list of monikers for video sources
                                 Do   'iterate the list until the moniker friendly name matches the chosen device
                                    hr = pMoniker.GetDisplayName(pbc, Nothing, pwszDisplayName)                 'get complex camera name
                                    hr = pMoniker.BindToStorage(Nothing, Nothing, $IID_IPropertyBag, pPropBag)  'get info about Moniker
                                    If SUCCEEDED(hr) Then
                                       hr = pPropBag.Read("FriendlyName", varName, Nothing)   'get friendly name
                                       If Variant$$(varName) = DeviceName$ Then Exit Do       'this Moniker matches the one of interst
                                    End If
                                 Loop

hr = pMoniker.BindToObject(Nothing, Nothing, $IID_IBaseFilter, pCap)                  'create device filter for the chosen device
                                 hr = pGraph.AddFilter(pCap,$Camera)                                                   'add chosen device filter to the filter graph
                                 hr = pBuild.SetFilterGraph(pGraph)                                                    'initialize pBuild
                                 pBuild.RenderStream $Pin_Category_Preview, $MediaType_Video, pCap, Nothing, Nothing   'render the live source

'pWindow is Global so that it can be used in %WM_Size
                                 pWindow             = pGraph
                                 'pWindow.Visible     = %OATRUE    'seems to not be required
                                 pWindow.Owner       = hwnd
                                 pWindow.WindowStyle = %WS_Child Or %WS_ClipSiblings Or %WS_ClipChildren

pControl.Run
                              End Sub
                              Last edited by Gary Beene; 26 Nov 2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I spent 2 days on 4 or 5 lines of code this year.
                                I think I have you beat on characters coded per minute(hour) if lower is better.
                                p purvis

Comment

Hi Gary,

Congratulations!

Tried your test app using the built-in Camera on my Surface Pro and it worked fine: Microsoft LifeCam Front (and Rear).

Good work
                                  Rgds, Dave

Comment

Hi Dave!
                                    Thanks! I'm glad to hear it worked on your end. I feel a gbVideo utility coming on, maybe today!

Comment

>"give me any suggestions/corrections that come to mind!"
                                      Quickly, two minor adjustements:
                                      GPF if no connected camera.
                                      Use of a connected camera even if $Camera does not match.

Beside this...
                                      You builded a plane that really fly!
                                      Congratulations Gary! Good job :-)

Comment

Howdy, Pierre!
                                        Thanks - I'll cover those in the Source Code post that I hope to make tonight. I have a few more features I want to incorporate as well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X