Will a given string be completly displayed in a dialogs title/caption area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a given string be completly displayed in a dialogs title/caption area

First question is re. terminology, is the text that appears at the top of a dialog called the title or the caption?

Google tells me that GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSIZE) or GetTitleBarInfo will give me the available width of title/caption area , am I on the right track? Neither seem to allow for the icon or the buttons.There is a SM_CYCAPTION but no SM_CXCAPTION?

Poffs tells me that either DrawText or GetTextExtentPoint32 will give me the length of a given string. Any particular reason to use one or the other?

Assuming it is possible, is there a built in mechanism to truncate a UNC path to a particular length?

Assuming a propotional font and SDK style.

I'd like to be able to determine if it is possible to display the path plus a version number, just the path or a truncated version of the path.

Originally posted by James McNab View Post

Assuming a propotional font and SDK style.

I'd like to be able to determine if it is possible to display the path plus a version number, just the path or a truncated version of the path.
    You can still create a GRAPHIC BITMAP and find the size of the text in the default font, or a font of your choosing.
    If you want to do it all in SDK, then you can use textmetrics to get the size of each character.
    I don't recall specifically how to do that, since I haven't used it since writing in C in 1998 or so.
    The world is strange and wonderful.*
    I reserve the right to be horrifically wrong.
    Please maintain a safe following distance.
    *wonderful sold separately.

Comment

Caption compression

Code:
      'Use José's includes.
      #COMPILE EXE '#Win 9.07 (D:\Basic\Bas\Jose Roca\Forum\Jose\Windows API Headers\1.19 (PB9.x)\uz)#
      #DIM ALL
      #INCLUDE "Win32Api.inc"
      #INCLUDE "ShlWApi.inc"

'TYPE TITLEBARINFOEX DWORD               'rgrect(0) Reserved.        rgstate(0) The title bar itself  STATE_SYSTEM_UNAVAILABLE 0x00000001 The element is unavailable
      '  cbSize                       AS DWORD 'rgrect(1) Reserved.        rgstate(1) Reserved.             STATE_SYSTEM_PRESSED     0x00000008 The element is in the pressed state
      '  rcTitleBar                   AS RECT  'rgrect(2) Minimize button  rgstate(2) Minimize button.      STATE_SYSTEM_INVISIBLE   0x00008000 The element is invisible
      '  rgstate(%CCHILDREN_TITLEBAR) AS DWORD 'rgrect(3) Maximize button  rgstate(3) Maximize button.      STATE_SYSTEM_OFFSCREEN   0x00010000 The element has no visible representation
      '  rgrect(%CCHILDREN_TITLEBAR)  AS RECT  'rgrect(4) Help button.     rgstate(4) Help button.          STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSABLE   0x00100000 The element can accept the focus
      'END TYPE 'CCHILDREN_TITLEBAR = 5        'rgrect(5) Close button.    rgstate(5) Close button.

GLOBAL hDlg AS DWORD

%LabelInfo = 101
      '______________________________________________________________________________

FUNCTION StateInfo(s AS DWORD) AS STRING

'0 The title bar itself, 1 Reserved, 2 Minimize button, 3 Maximize button, 4 Help button, 5 Close button.
       'STATE_SYSTEM_OFFSCREEN mean the element has no visible representation.
       FUNCTION = $TAB & "(" & HEX$(s, 8) & ") " & _
                  IIF$((s AND %STATE_SYSTEM_PRESSED),     "PRESSED",     "unPressed") & ", " & _
                  IIF$((s AND %STATE_SYSTEM_UNAVAILABLE), "UNAVAILABLE", "available") & ", " & _
                  IIF$((s AND %STATE_SYSTEM_OFFSCREEN),   "OFFSCREEN",   "onScreen")  & ", " & _
                  IIF$((s AND %STATE_SYSTEM_INVISIBLE),   "INVISIBLE",   "visible")   & ", " & _
                  IIF$((s AND %STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSABLE),   "FOCUSABLE",   "unFocusable")
      END FUNCTION

FUNCTION RectInfo(r AS RECT) AS STRING

MapWindowPoints(%HWND_DESKTOP, hDlg, BYVAL VARPTR(r), 2) 'Relative to client area instead of desktop area
       '.rgrect(0) and .rgrect(1) are reserved.
       FUNCTION = STR$(r.nRight - r.nLeft) & " x" & _
                  STR$(r.nBottom - r.nTop) & " at " & STR$(r.nLeft) & ", " & STR$(r.nTop)

END FUNCTION

FUNCTION GetTitleBarInf() AS LONG
       LOCAL  TBI            AS TITLEBARINFOEX
       LOCAL  DialogRect     AS RECT
       LOCAL  sTitleInfo     AS STRING
       STATIC sTitleInfoPrev AS STRING
       LOCAL  CaptionWidth   AS LONG

TBI.cbSize = SIZEOF(TITLEBARINFOEX)
       IF SendMessage(hDlg, %WM_GETTITLEBARINFOEX, 0, VARPTR(TBI)) THEN

GetWindowRect(hDlg, DialogRect)

CaptionWidth = TBI.rcTitleBar.nRight - TBI.rcTitleBar.nLeft - _
                        (TBI.rgrect(2).nRight - TBI.rgrect(2).nLeft) - _ 'Minimize button
                        (TBI.rgrect(3).nRight - TBI.rgrect(3).nLeft) - _ 'Maximize button
                        (TBI.rgrect(4).nRight - TBI.rgrect(4).nLeft) - _ 'Help button
                        (TBI.rgrect(5).nRight - TBI.rgrect(5).nLeft)     'Close button

sTitleInfo = $CRLF & _
                      "Truncates a file path to fit a dialog caption." & $CRLF & _
                      "Using WM_GETTITLEBARINFOEX, GetTextExtentPoint32, " & $CRLF & _
                      "SystemParametersInfo(.lfCaptionFont), and PathCompactPath." & $CRLF & _
                      $CRLF & _
                      "Resize the dialog to see the path in caption shrinking or expanding..." & $CRLF & _
                      $CRLF & _
                      "Extra code: You may click dialog caption button to see their state." & $CRLF & _
                      $CRLF & _
                      $CRLF & _
                      "- WM_GETTITLEBARINFOEX infos..." & $CRLF & _
                      "Dialog width "    & $TAB & $TAB & STR$(DialogRect.nRight - DialogRect.nLeft) & $CRLF & _
                      "Text caption width "     & $TAB & STR$(CaptionWidth)  & " (Excluding minimize, maximize, close, and help button)" & $CRLF & _
                      "TitleBar " & $TAB & $TAB & $TAB & RectInfo(TBI.rcTitleBar) & $CRLF & _
                      "Minimize"         & $TAB & $TAB & RectInfo(TBI.rgrect(2))  & $CRLF & _
                      "Maximize "        & $TAB & $TAB & RectInfo(TBI.rgrect(3))  & $CRLF & _
                      "Help "     & $TAB & $TAB & $TAB & RectInfo(TBI.rgrect(4))  & $CRLF & _
                      "Close "    & $TAB & $TAB & $TAB & RectInfo(TBI.rgrect(5))  & $CRLF & _
                      $CRLF & _
                      "TitleBar " & $TAB & $TAB & StateInfo(TBI.rgstate(0)) & $CRLF & _
                      "Minimize button " & $TAB & StateInfo(TBI.rgstate(2)) & $CRLF & _
                      "Maximize button " & $TAB & StateInfo(TBI.rgstate(3)) & $CRLF & _
                      "Help button "     & $TAB & StateInfo(TBI.rgstate(4)) & $CRLF & _
                      "Close button "    & $TAB & StateInfo(TBI.rgstate(5))

IF sTitleInfo <> sTitleInfoPrev THEN
           CONTROL SET TEXT hDlg, %LabelInfo, sTitleInfo
         END IF
         sTitleInfoPrev = sTitleInfo
       END IF

FUNCTION = CaptionWidth - 10

END FUNCTION

CALLBACK FUNCTION DlgProc
       LOCAL CaptionSpec          AS NONCLIENTMETRICS
       LOCAL CaptionFixedTextSize AS SIZEL
       LOCAL zCaptionPath         AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH
       LOCAL sCaptionFixed        AS STRING
       LOCAL hDc                  AS DWORD
       LOCAL hCaptionFont         AS DWORD
       LOCAL hCaptionFontGenuine  AS DWORD
       LOCAL CaptiontextFullWidth AS DWORD

SELECT CASE CBMSG

CASE %WM_APP
           sCaptionFixed       = "Uncompressible text part - "
           zCaptionPath        = "D:\Basic\Compressible file name\CaptionTitleBar\WindowCaptionTextWidth01.bas"
           hDc                 = GetDC(hDlg)
           CaptionSpec.cbSize  = SIZEOF(NONCLIENTMETRICS)
           SystemParametersInfo(%SPI_GETNONCLIENTMETRICS, CaptionSpec.cbSize, BYVAL VARPTR(CaptionSpec), 0) 'Get caption font used
           hCaptionFont        = CreateFontIndirect(CaptionSpec.lfCaptionFont)                              'Use same font as in caption
           hCaptionFontGenuine = SelectObject(hdc, hCaptionFont)                                            'Select the font
           GetTextExtentPoint32(hDc, BYVAL STRPTR(sCaptionFixed), LEN(sCaptionFixed), CaptionFixedTextSize) 'Measure uncompressible text
           CaptiontextFullWidth = GetTitleBarInf()                                                          'Get total text caption width
           PathCompactPath(hDc, zCaptionPath, CaptiontextFullWidth - CaptionFixedTextSize.cx)               'Compress the path to fit
           SelectObject(hdc, hCaptionFontGenuine)                                                           'Clean up
           DeleteObject(hCaptionFont)                                                                       'Clean up
           ReleaseDC(hDlg, hDc)                                                                             'Clean up
           SetWindowText(hDlg, sCaptionFixed & zCaptionPath)                                                'Update caption

CASE %WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN, %WM_CAPTURECHANGED
           GetTitleBarInf() 'Update info on caption left click down and dialog capture release received on click up

CASE %WM_SIZE 'Will be called on sizing and also on program start, so it will init text info
           IF CBWPARAM <> %SIZE_MINIMIZED THEN
             GetTitleBarInf()
             PostMessage(hDlg, %WM_APP, 0, 0) 'First init
           END IF

END SELECT

END FUNCTION

FUNCTION PBMAIN()
       LOCAL hIcon AS DWORD

DIALOG FONT "Segoe UI", 9
       DIALOG NEW %HWND_DESKTOP, "", , , 350, 210, %WS_CAPTION OR _
       %WS_MINIMIZEBOX OR %WS_MAXIMIZEBOX OR %WS_SYSMENU OR %WS_THICKFRAME, 0 TO hDlg

hIcon = ExtractIcon(GetModuleHandle(""), "Shell32.dll", 294) 'o
       SetClassLong(hDlg, %GCL_HICON, hIcon)
       SendMessage(hDlg, %WM_SETICON, %ICON_SMALL, hIcon)

CONTROL ADD LABEL, hDlg, %LabelInfo, "", 5, 5, 340, 200

DIALOG SHOW MODAL hDlg CALL DlgProc

DestroyIcon(hIcon)

END FUNCTION
      '
      Last edited by Pierre Bellisle; 12 Jan 2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Pierre's sample works with PBWin10 includes too.

Some other techniques to truncate long pathnames were discussed in this thread.
        Rgds, Dave

Comment

Code was updated...

Still have to double check stuff like...
          Code:
          NonClientMetricsTry.lfCaptionFont.lfHeight = -22
          SystemParametersInfo(%SPI_SETNONCLIENTMETRICS, SIZEOF(NONCLIENTMETRICS), BYVAL VARPTR(NonClientMetricsTry), %SPIF_SENDCHANGE)
          Last edited by Pierre Bellisle; 12 Jan 2019, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Pierre, I don't know what to say, it is one thing to dig out a snippet but to create a working program that totally resolves the problem, really is above and beyond.

Dave, I used Poffs repeatedly but failed to find that thread, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by James McNab View Post
              Pierre, I don't know what to say, it is one thing to dig out a snippet but to create a working program that totally resolves the problem, really is above and beyond.

Dave, I used Poffs repeatedly but failed to find that thread, thanks.
              I see two possibilities.
              Either these things are so easy for Pierre that it is nothing for him to do it,
              or he takes the time to make the effort at a greater personal expense.
              Either is quite impressive.
              The world is strange and wonderful.*
              I reserve the right to be horrifically wrong.
              Please maintain a safe following distance.
              *wonderful sold separately.

Comment

I got no merit, only stubborn deoxyribonucleic acid molecules. Life is good!

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Kuzba View Post
                  ...... Either is quite impressive.
                  It certainly is!

Comment

Code updated...

Q> ...am I on the right track?
                    Forgot to answer... Yes you where, your pre-code analysis was right on the spot...
                    Last edited by Pierre Bellisle; 12 Jan 2019, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X