Images and RichEdit control - source code of Jose Roca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images and RichEdit control - source code of Jose Roca

I found source code of Jose for displaying rtf text including images in a RichTextControl.

https://forum.powerbasic.com/forum/u...chedit-control

Please refer article #14

I want to show several rtf texts (with images) in the RichTextControl one after the other by mouse click. The RichTextControl should not be destroyed during this.

What should I do to free the RichTextControl from the old content, also with regard to memory leaks?

Regards

You may use any of these...

Code:
    SendMessage(hRichEdit, %WM_SETTEXT, 0, BYVAL 0) 'Replace whole text with NUL

'or

SendMessage(hRichEdit, %EM_SETSEL, 0, -1) 'Select whole text
    PostMessage(hRichEdit, %WM_CLEAR, 0, 0)   'Clear text, this can be undone by an EM_UNDO message

'or

SendMessage(hRichEdit, %EM_SETSEL, 0, -1)              'Select whole text
    SendMessage(hRichEdit, %EM_REPLACESEL, %TRUE, BYVAL 0) 'Clear text, this can be undone by an EM_UNDO message
    Last edited by Pierre Bellisle; 18 Jan 2019, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Hi Pierre, thanks for the reply. If I understand correctly now, it is not necessary to free the RT-Control from the old content before a new RTF is displayed. A simple overwriting seems to be enough. I had doubts about the for me unknown technique OLE/COM Interface. A set STDOUT indicates that the function Reo_DeleteObject is executed each time the content is overridden.

Regards

Comment

Looking at it again,
        In this context the WM_CLEAR won't do well because the subclassing of the edit.
        I saw some font residue using EM_REPLACESEL so it is not as good as I thought.
        I don't think of any memory leak but more of some garbage left in the control.

RichEditSetString() sub was written for the demo purpose,
        in your case, if you need a little more, here is a routine
        that could be used to clear or replace the text in a clean way.

Code:
        RichEditUpdateString(hEdit, $NUL)        'Erase
        RichEditUpdateString(hEdit, sNewRtfText) 'Update text

'¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
        ' Update a Rich Edit's RTF string
        '------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        SUB RichEditUpdateString(hRichEdit AS DWORD, sRtfText AS STRING)
          LOCAL eStream AS EDITSTREAM

gPtr                = STRPTR(sRtfText)
          gPos                = 1 'Position in text to start from
          eStream.pfnCallback = CODEPTR(RichEditStreamInString) 'Pointer to RichEdit callback procedure
          SendMessage(hRichEdit, %EM_STREAMIN, %SF_RTF, VARPTR(eStream)) 'Stream in text

END SUB

'¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
        '

Comment

What might be a little confusing is the use of gTxt as a global.
          In fact all you have to do is update it and call RichEditSetString(hEdit).
          Code:
          LOCAL sBack AS STRING
          sBack = gTxt
          gTxt  = "{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang3084{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Arial;}" & _
                  "{\f1\fnil\fcharset0 Calibri;}} {\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.21.2510;}\viewkind4\" & _
                  "uc1\pard\sl240\slmult1\lang9\fs20 RichText\f1\fs22\par}"
          RichEditSetString(hEdit)
          InvalidateRect(hEdit, BYVAL %NULL, 0) : UpdateWindow hEdit
          SLEEP 1500
          gTxt = sBack
          RichEditSetString(hEdit)

Comment

Hello Pierre,
            you helped me a lot, more than you guessed - thank you.
            And anyway, it is quite great of you that you always put your expertise here in the forum.

Comment

Hi Norbert,

Coding is fun, it's good to share, to give back a little of what other gave to me.

Comment

Working...
              X