Version 10.04 vs. 10.03?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version 10.04 vs. 10.03?

I have noticed that the current version of the compiler for sale is version 10.03, what was wrong with 10.04 and why was it revoked?

Some forum members seems to prefer v10.03 but some use 10.04, what is the difference betwwen these two versions.
    What was fixed with 10,04 and what kind of new problems was introduced (since it was pulled away again).

I have not been able to find any documentation about the differences between these two versions.
    (same goes of course for CC v6.03 and v6.04)

/Mikael

Adam Drake wrote in Nov 2017:
    "The step back to distribution of .03 for PB/WIN 10 and PB/CC 6 occurred prior to our acquiring the products from PowerBASIC, Inc."

There was also another post which I can't find where he stated that all future development would be on the 10.03 code base.

There were definitely a couple of bugs reported in 10.04

Comment

I've used 10.04 ever since it came out. It would be nice to know what shortcomings were found. I'll go take a look to see what I can find.

Comment

PBWin 10.04 mixed up the results from DIALOG UNITS/PIXELS .. TO PIXELS/UNITS, so one had to SWAP the resulting x/y. Strange faults, considering they worked fine in v.03. Macros I did for correction purpose:
        Code:
        '====================================================================
        ' PBWIN 10.04 has a bug with DIALOG PIXELS - use this instead.
        '--------------------------------------------------------------------
        MACRO PixelsToUnits(hDlg, px, py, ux, uy)
          DIALOG PIXELS hDlg, px, py TO UNITS ux, uy
          #IF %PB_REVISION = &H1004  ' if compiler PBWIN10.04
              SWAP ux, uy            ' we need to swap result
          #ENDIF
        END MACRO

'====================================================================
        ' PBWIN 10.04 has a bug with DIALOG UNITS - use this instead.
        '--------------------------------------------------------------------
        MACRO UnitsToPixels(hDlg, ux, uy, px, py)
          DIALOG UNITS hDlg, ux, uy TO PIXELS py, px
          #IF %PB_REVISION = &H1004  ' if compiler PBWIN10.04
              SWAP px, py            ' we need to swap result
          #ENDIF
        END MACRO

Comment

History collected by Aslan Babakhanov:

- Potential miscalculation of XPRINT PREVIEW physical margins.
          - IDE: Incorrect display of some international characters.
          - Improved scaling of Print Preview text.
          - Inaccuracy resizing Graphic controls.
          - IDE: Substantial enhancement of Debug Step speed.
          - MSGBOX error in a program with no other unicode variables, functions...
          - Array Scan errors with certain wide unicode strings.
          - Array Sort errors with certain wide unicode strings.
          - Errors referencing a wide function using type id's (Call Function$$)
          - Errors inheriting the IPowerTime interface.
          - IDE: Side effects from certain debugging commands.
          - FONT END generates no errors.
          - Improvements to XPRINT with a page range.
          - IDE: Incorrect display of some international characters.
          - IDE: Improvement in debugger stepping.
          - UNWRAP$ error with certain short strings.
          - Improved error codes for duplicate CallBack name definition.
          - BUILD$() function errors using wide unicode parameters.
          - TXT.WINDOW() now auto-closes any existing text window.
          - Calculation errors using SELECT CASE CONST$$.
          - Improved signature validation of linked procedures.
          - Occasional GPF with RESUME use in an extracted (unreferenced) procedure.

- Thread functions/methods defaulted to an incorrect FPU control word.
          - Minor changes to the help file
          - IDE syntax coloring was disabled when "Use Syntax Color when printing" was not selected and "No Case Change" was selected. This has been fixed.

- Errors with DISPLAY BROWSE in Unicode mode are fixed.
          - XPRINT PREVIEW with escapement could be clipped in error and did not allow overwrite of printed items. Both of these issues have been resolved.
          - DIR$() now masks system errors.
          - DEBUG alignment errors with multi-line macros have been fixed.
          - GRAPHIC GET LOC and GRAPHIC SET LOC now only support Graphic Windows. For Graphic Controls use CONTROL GET LOC and CONTROL SET LOC.

- Fixed errors using a non-object parameter with a Thread Object.
          - Errors using some forms of Line Input# have been resolved.

- Errors calculating reverse operators in DWord expressions have been fixed.
          - Resolved an error with PowerTime.TimeString for one hour after noon and midnight.

- IPowerTime.NewTime incorrect errors have been fixed.
          - Incorrect parentheses counting of CODEPTR as a parameter have been resolved.

- ASMDATA DW now accepts signed values.
          - Updated Keyword lists in the IDE.
          - Minor changes in the help file.

- Fixed certain compound object reference errors in an SLL.
          - Errors executing IDISPINFO methods have been resolved.
          - Errors compiling certain rare quad integer literals no longer occur.

- Resolved an issue with GRAPHIC SET VIEW incorrectly setting vertical coordinates in certain instances.
          - Errors executing VARIANT$() and VARIANT$$() have been fixed.
          - Record length errors with certain random access files have been fixed.
          - Fixed an issue where certain uses of EVENT SOURCE caused a compile time error.
          - SETATTR no longer causes a GPF when a disk error occurs.
          - Certain international characters where not displaying correctly in the IDE have been fixed.
          - IDE Close All Files issue on Windows 98 have been resolved.

- CLIP$ has been revised to remove restrictions.
          - Code alignment updates.
          - COMMON DIALOGS (DISPLAY) have corrected Ansi/Unicode access.
          - IDE Close All Files now correctly closes all tabs/files.

- Certain uses of Graphic Set Pixel required Graphic Redraw to display have been resolved.
          - Errors with compiling certain CONTROL ADD "CustomControl" statements have been fixed.

- Mask variable assignment expressions may contain any combination of LongInt and DWord values without error. Operators may include +, -, AND, OR, XOR.
          - There is a dramatic improvement of execution speed in many/most DWord expressions.

- ARRAY SCAN errors using WSTRINGZ strings is now fixed.
          - Resolved an issue using INPUT #n, x$$ with CHR=WIDE.
          - GETATTR errors on Win95/Win98 or using #OPTION ANSIAPI are fixed.
          - PATHSCAN$ errors on Win95/Win98 or using #OPTION ANSIAPI are fixed.
          - Errors with certain forms of LINE INPUT# are now fixed.
          - GETATTR() now generates the correct error value.
          - ISFOLDER errors on Win95/Win98 or using #OPTION ANSIAPI have been fixed.
          - Fixed a compilation error using CODEPTR() in certain boolean expressions.
          - An error with #COMPILER and minor revisions included has been fixed.
          - Fixed an issue with Breakpoint errors when debugging a Prefix Block.
          - DIALOG NEW PIXES now positions the dialog correctly when the dialog is larger than the screen and no a x and y location is specified.
          - ASM LABEL: can now use either ' or ; to add a remark.

- LISTVIEW SORT errors when used with the NUMERIC option.
          - TYPE SET statement has revised documentation.
          - PowerTime.DateDiff now reports invalid parameters through OBJRESULT.
          - PowerTime.TimeDiff now reports invalid parameters through OBJRESULT.
          - PowerTime.NewDate now reports invalid parameters through OBJRESULT.
          - PowerTime.NewTime now reports invalid parameters through OBJRESULT.
          - Compiler error code 639 added: TYPE variable expected

New Statements and Functions:
          - VARIANT$(BYTE, VrntVar) function returns the contents of a Variant as a ANSI byte
          string. This result can be assigned to an ANSI string variable or a User-Defined Type.

Changes to existing Statements and Functions:
          - Improved #RESOURCE error checking at compilation.
          - FOR/EACH variables are now supported in any scope.
          - Fixed errors when calling DIALOG GET CLIENT or DIALOG GET CLIENT with a non-existent
          dialog handle.
          - Resolved an issue where LISTVIEW SET HEADER displayed text incorrectly.
          - EOF() function now recognizes a soft eof character.
          - SLL errors involving the use of an alias name have been fixed.
          - Side effects from GRAPHIC COLOR under unusual circumstances has been resolved.
          - Errors with PowerTime.DayOfWeekString and PowerTime.DateStringLong in certain locales
          has been fixed.
          - PowerTime.TimeDiff has been updated to return the number of Days differnt between
          the two PowerTime objects.
          - PowerTime.DateStringLong no longer generates a leading space in some locales.
          - Fixed and issue with PowerTime.DateStringLong generating a trailing nul character.
          - Fixed issues with LPRINT ATTACH not working correctly in all situations.
          - Resolved errors linking Dispatch and private Classes in an SLL.
          - Improved Graphic printing with Clear Type enabled.
          - Fixed an issue with ClipBoard Get Text and ClipBoard Set Text on Windows 98.
          - Syntax erros with GRAPHIC STRETCH PAGE and XPRINT STRETCH PAGE have been corrected.
          - Errors with GRAPHIC INPUT using an array variable as a parameter have been fixed.
          - Errors when using XPRINT POS(), XPRINT SPC(), XPRINT TAB(), and XPRINT (, column)
          as the first statement on a page have been corrected.
          - Resolved an error that caused CONTROL SET FOCUS to be ineffective when called from
          wm_initdialog.
          - VARIANTVT() errors with object parameters have been resolved.
          - Corrected errors with USING$() with certain unusual string mask parameters.
          - VARIANT$ and VARIANT$$ used to return strings based on the contents of the variant.
          VARIANT$ now assumes the contents of the variant is a wide Unicode string and converts
          it to a ANSI string. VARIANT$$ assumes the contents of the variant is a wide Unicode
          string and returns the contents directly as a wide Unicode string.
          VARIANT$(BYTE, VrntVar) always returns the contents as an ANSI byte string. This
          result can be assigned to an ANSI string variable or a User-Defined Type.
          - ASMDATA:DW did now supports the full data size.
          - Improved #RESOURCE error checking at compilation.
          - Fixed errors with PARSE to wide unicode strings.
          - CSET/LSET/RSET errors with wide fixed strings have been resolved.
          - Fixed Array Scan errors with UDT array and collate option.
          - LISTBOX/COMBOBOX FIND errors on Win98 have been fixed.
          - Fixed an error using DIR$() on Win98.

Additional changes:
          - Compiler error code 461 changed: INSTANCE arrays must be declared. INSTANCE arrays
          must be declared before any CLASS code.
          - Suppress name clashes with import functions in an SLL.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          IDE
          ===
          - Fixed an issue with fonts appearing clipped if Windows font smoothing (e.g., ClearType)
          was enabled.
          - In "single instance" mode, trying to launch a second IDE will cause its
          command line (if any) to be passed to the original IDE. So, the original IDE
          will load any files that would have been loaded in a second instance.
          - Variable Watcher properly restores the sizes of its listview columns.
          - The display bounds checker fully supports the use of multiple monitors.
          The IDE will re-open on the appropriate display.
          - Fixed Code Finder handling of PROPERTY SET. The Type information for PROPERTY
          now distinguishes between PROPERTY GET and PROPERTY SET.
          - The colors of the Output Window match better with Windows Themes.
          - Saving backup files with timestamps uses the correct timestamp again.
          - Double-click in Variable Watcher is ignored for empty rows. Evaluate Variable is
          enabled only if there is a symbol name at the caret.
          - The last specified file path is selected as the default path regardless of how the
          last file was loaded.
          - Backups may now be done to a specified directory. The IDE will attempt to create
          the directory if it does not already exist. The default setting is ".\", the path
          of the saved file.
          - Added Shift+Delete as "Cut" key.
          - Ctrl+F4 added as "Close File" key.
          - Copying to the clipboard is enabled while debugging, if appropriate.
          - Insert File is disabled while debugging.
          - Files loaded by virtue of being stepped into while debugging are adjusted to match
          their names on disk, to avoid undesirable case conversion.
          - PBForms can be launched from PBEdit even if no files are loaded.
          - Adjustments to Options / Fonts handling for proper font listing under Win9x.
          - Compiler options now has a checkbox to specify if a .PBR file should be created
          when compiling an .RC file.
          - File options now has a checkbox to select which files are included when saving
          a project.
          - General options now has a check to select whether to display the IDE status bar.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          COM Browser
          ===========
          - Tools | Options dialog box now disables the OK button and allows the Cancel button to
          be used when the Interface Prefix textbox is null.
          - Added a fix for interfaces that have an incorrect inheritance.

Comment

Works pretty good for me as long as I stay away from Java 8.

Comment

Interesting that PB could have so many faults and not one of them would impact on me. Shows the depth and resilience if the compiler.
              [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
              Kerry Farmer

Comment

That is a pretty comprehensive list, but one of my pet peeves thst I don't see on it, an issue if not a bug, is the 'Open Recent File' list of files. The list is files that are currently loaded, an optional number of them, where all the files are listed under Window / Select Window. The Open Recent File list should be files that were recently closed, not files listed elsewhere.
                Rod
                "To every unsung hero in the universe
                To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
                To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry
                  Interesting that PB could have so many faults and not one of them would impact on me. Shows the depth and resilience if the compiler.
                  I fail to see the logic of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Hicks View Post
                    That is a pretty comprehensive list, but one of my pet peeves thst I don't see on it, an issue if not a bug, is the 'Open Recent File' list of files. The list is files that are currently loaded, an optional number of them, where all the files are listed under Window / Select Window. The Open Recent File list should be files that were recently closed, not files listed elsewhere.
                    I don't see that behaviour in 10.04 and don't recall it ever being that way. I just opened PB. It loaded the one file that I was using the last time I opened it and "Open Recent File" showed me a list of the 10 most recent files I had worked with. 10 being the value I have set in "Window Options... - Files - Maximum Recent Files". What value do you have there?

Comment

I have maximum recent files set to 20, but the files listed under Open Recent File are all files that are already in the IDE, ergo, there is no need to open them. If I want one of the files already loaded in the IDE I can use Window- Select Window, where all the files loaded in the IDE are listed. Perhaps the difference twixt what we see is that I usually have more than twenty files loaded in the IDE at one time, as one can have up to 100 files open at a time. The Open Recent files should only list files that are closed. Why list files that are open twice?
                      Rod
                      To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Hicks View Post
                        I have maximum recent files set to 20, but the files listed under Open Recent File are all files that are already in the IDE, ergo, there is no need to open them. If I want one of the files already loaded in the IDE I can use Window- Select Window, where all the files loaded in the IDE are listed. Perhaps the difference twixt what we see is that I usually have more than twenty files loaded in the IDE at one time, as one can have up to 100 files openat a time. The Open Recent files should only list files that are closed. Why list files that are open twice?
                        Ah-ha. I see. I rarely have more than 3-4 files open at any one time so it has never bothered me. I can see the advantage of updating the list every time a file is closed, rather than every time a file is opened. i.e. make it a "Recently Closed Files", rather than a "Recently Opened Files" list. Maybe you should submit it as a feature request.

Comment

But it's not a "Recently Opened Files", it an "Open Recent Files" and I would like to be able to open a file that I recently closed, since a file I recently opened is ... well..already open. No need to submit a feature request, just make it make sense.
                          FWIW, I think the bad terminology is a result of limited space for menu text or trying to keep the text to a minimum. "Open Recently Closed Files" may say it all, but it does seem lengthy.
                          Rod

Comment

Bob always would not publicize a register of bugs with the latest compiler. I always argued that this was unprofessional. I am pleased now to see such a list. This is the first time I have seen it. I hope that Adam maintains a public register of bugs.
                            [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
                            Kerry Farmer

Comment

Thank you Pierre for the Aslan Babakhanov list

I hoped that Drake would publish the update information document for 10.04 ... that would be great!

/Mikael

Comment

From a formal 15 years beta tester.
                                http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smffo...21791#msg21791
                                Patrice Terrier
                                www.zapsolution.com
                                www.objreader.com
                                Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

I think it is ethically wrong to not disclose known proven bugs that affect finished running projects from products like compilers.
                                  If something is wrong with a product that you use, be it a compiler or other some other electronic product There should be some form of disclosure.
                                  My time spent on problems is worth some thing to me like all others.
                                  I publicly criticized a maker of software last week for selling a product with a big major issue in it and for them not addressing it and making it know. I mean if I press the 5 key and get 6 or press 6 and get 5 on a VNC server. That is major and it had been like that previous versions I tried.
                                  But it was my time lost and not theirs. I just do not accept that kind of behavior.
                                  Respect and confidence is easily lost on such major issues. I have never blamed somebody for trying to overcome short coming and always worked with them to help overcome a problem if it is within my control or been patience.
                                  Wordperf X8 had major issues in printing. It happened in only a few previous versions too.
                                  No updates from them but a new version of X9 now. I spent days trying to find a solution.
                                  But that was not their time loss or aggravation was it. That was not acceptable to me at all and for something so major, it really pissed me off to using their products and I don’t see me making purchases with them for awhile.
                                  There are ways to communicate to with your customers without it being broadcast to open public.
                                  p purvis

Comment

Working...
                                  X