Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brice
    rinse and repeat
    What a mess to get into. I may have re-mortgaged once but not twice. Bob should have charged more for the upgrades. The upgrades were not small like many software products where reviewers examine the latest offerings to help decide whether they are worth upgrading or not. PB's upgrades were substantial and I doubt many of us would have baulked at paying a little extra, enough for Bob to get to the next release without having to borrow. Perhaps an upgrade every couple of years with less new features instead of one every three years or so would have helped.

My opinion of Bob dropped when I read Eric's story but it has gone back up again. He did Eric an injustice but it sounds like his back was firmly up against the wall, and he was in self-preservation mode. PB was Bob's baby and it may have killed him. What a sad story.

Comment

Originally posted by David Roberts View Post
      The upgrades were not small like many software products where reviewers examine the latest offerings to help decide whether they are worth upgrading or not. PB's upgrades were substantial and I doubt many of us would have baulked at paying a little extra, enough for Bob to get to the next release without having to borrow.
      Bob's upgrades were very fairly priced for what you were getting.

Some people make the mistake of free upgrades for life and that is only viable short-term as it depends on new customers always coming in. Paid upgrades work, to an extent, but as this community shows, there are many people who are happily using older versions of PB and have no need to upgrade . A lot of software has moved to yearly and even monthly licenses to keep the income steady. Personally, I will never touch the monthly/yearly licensing as it is just too costly for me as an indie/hobby developer. That said, the monthly/yearly license is what I would probably recommend to somebody putting out a programming language (or most development tools for that matter), even if I would be excluding myself from ever using the product.

IMHO, where Bob excelled was keeping the product on track. Often, the worst thing you can do is listen to your customers. They will make demands for features, and if you give in and implement them, you will end up with a clone of another product and your product will have lost its identity and what made it unique and attracted people to it in the first place.

Adam is undertaking a journey that makes Bilbo's look like a walk to the corner store. Not only taking over a compiler, but rewriting it so it is self-hosting! This is a massive undertaking, but one that has to happen if the language is going to have any future. I am just happy the lights are still on and it looks like they are going to be on for a long time. At this point, all I can ask for is to keep the lights on and honor new sales. Anything else is gravy. The community has always been very good about expanding the language when needed, and although most have left, there are still many of us around here.

I am legally blind. Please forgive any typos. I do try and catch as many as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Brice Manuel View Post

Bob's upgrades were very fairly priced for what you were getting.
        I'm not really sold on the upgrade model.
        If there is some day a PBWin 11, I'm going to go full purchase, not upgrade.
        The only time I've ever gone upgrade instead of new is for Windows 10.
        I've got PB 7, 9 and 10, each with their own license.
        I know upgrades make sense as an inducement for sales of new versions.
        I just don't like it.
        The world is strange and wonderful.*
        I reserve the right to be horrifically wrong.
        Please maintain a safe following distance.
        *wonderful sold separately.

Comment

Working...
        X