Progress ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress ?

Ok, I have to ask. After 7 years of silence of which 4 years of inertia. Any progress on the PowerBasic compiler front ? Will there be a version that will compile to 64bit ? Any indication of deadlines ? I understand Bob Zale had a vaporware policy but leaving no signs of progress isn't a viable option in the current tech market anymore. Even the Behringer company gives out mockups of their future products these days. A roadmap would be an indication that something is happening. Thanks!
    So here we are, this is the end.
    But all that dies, is born again.
    - From The Ashes (In This Moment)

I'm afraid I agree. I don't want announcement dates either, just something, anything to indicate progress is being made.

Comment

Hey Guys,
      In case you missed it. See here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Fritts View Post
        Hey Guys,
        In case you missed it. See here.
        One year later, an update would be nice.
        Regards,
        Marc

Comment

>leaving no signs of progress isn't a viable option in the current tech market anymore.
          Personally, I was absolutely delighted to hear "when we get there, fix any and all issues I can find"
          and am more than happy to wait for that.
          The same seems a rarity nowadays so perhaps the current tech market has lost it's way.

Comment

Quote from Andrew, "Step 1 is to translate the compiler into PowerBASIC itself. "
            NOTE: that is likely to take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Fritts View Post
              Quote from Andrew, "Step 1 is to translate the compiler into PowerBASIC itself. "
              NOTE: that is likely to take some time.
              Sure. But a status update from PB HQ wouldn't hurt business.
              Torkel M. Jodalen, tel. (+47) 69252033 / 92422020
              ++

Comment

This sounds like another "whine" list.
                hutch at movsd dot com
                The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Red, white or rosé?
                  Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Yarker View Post
                    Red, white or rosé?
                    At two cents per glass, what difference does it make?
                    The world is strange and wonderful.*
                    I reserve the right to be horrifically wrong.
                    Please maintain a safe following distance.
                    *wonderful sold separately.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Pringels 3 View Post
                      I understand Bob Zale had a vaporware policy
                      Bob's vaporware policy was to never release any of the vaporware he talked about. That is why the new DOS version was never released and the Linux version was never released.

That said, discussing what you are working on and giving progress updates is not ever considered vaporware. We are lucky that Adam has given us a roadmap. I only hope an overhaul and modernization of the IDE will find its way into the roadmap.
                      I am legally blind. Please forgive any typos. I do try and catch as many as I can.

Comment

Steven Pringels 3 - fair question.

The roadmap I have published on the forum still is what I'm on. I will hold to the "no vapourware" policy - but let's just say if I thought 64 bit wasn't a step on that planned roadmap - I'd be foolish.

I don't mind sharing this - because I want to be honest - I've had a health challenge the last 2 months that has made just keeping up difficult. Broke my pinky toe completely with bone displacement - tip of my pinky toe was touching the next one after it happened - stubbed it up hard on the narrow edge of my bathroom door. This is a frustrating challenge to deal with at 3:00AM when your vehicle has a manual transmission, and it was your clutch foot. Took 8 weeks to heal back together. Developed a blood clot in my leg in that time. I'm on the mend and making strides on improvement - but I've missed multiple days.

I have help joining me tomorrow, the hope is we can get one down that roadmap a lot further a lot quicker. If you have any specific questions, feel free to email [email protected].
                        Adam Drake
                        Drake Software

Comment

Originally posted by Adam J. Drake View Post
                          Developed a blood clot in my leg in that time.
                          Please, keep on top of that!

A hearty welcome to the "help" who is joining you. :cD
                          I am legally blind. Please forgive any typos. I do try and catch as many as I can.

Comment

I think it is a reasonable question and not whining. Personally i gave up on PB. I migrated my code to Delphi.It is not that different and it is multi platform. PB gave me the change to create DLL when i was using VB3. That was great. But even after it was taken over, nothing really happens. No updates, no fixes. I can not wait longer for 64 bit so wrote a converter. in delphi you can simple write code once for both 32 and 64 bit windows. Best of luck with your health Adam.

Comment

Working...
                            X