Graphic word list comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic word list comments

A discussion thread for the code I posted here.
    The code is a very simplistic bit of work to retrieve words from the graphic.
    Rod
    "To every unsung hero in the universe
    To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
    To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Ok Rodney, just tested your fine example and must say I'm really, really impressed. Haven't dug into it so much, but see that it works - but don't understand how it works. How can the bitmaps contain so many words? Does it build words from combinations of pixels?

Comment

? like steganography, but using all bits for characters so there is no "cover" image??
      Dale

Comment

My first post in this thread was a little terse because as I was posting, I started a two day kidney stone(s) episode. Upside of that was that I learned a few more curse words.

Borje, I used the RGB values generally as a colour per letter, except at the start of a word, the red value gives the number of letters in the word. The last pixel of the word may give one, two, or three letters. The longest word is 31 letters(there is only one of that size) so it takes 11 pixels so the first pixel has the length of the word and two letters, then nine pixels with three letters each and the last pixel as two letters. If you sample a pixel and the red value is below 65 then the pixel is the start of the word and it is the only reliable marker as the last pixel is only reliable as an ending if the blue or the green value is/are 0, but the last pixel might have three letters so you can't count on finding the end of the word that way.

In this list, the average word takes four pixels, but less if one takes a weighted average.

Dale, yes, like that, but my intent was not for security reasons.

There are no uppercase letters in the list, nor any punctuation. o'clock is spelled oclock. 'I' is "i". Things I'll have to accommodate somewhere along the way.

This list is a blend of other lists, but it has some words that I can't find in any dictionary so I may remove them. I will be adding words as well that I have noticed to be missing.

I intend to add word type, noun, verb, etc. to the list, possibly by layering another graphic over or under. This will be time consuming. If I do a 1000 words a day it'll take me more than a year. Which is why the sort by size is there, so I can get the most used words done sooner. Then I can start a grammar engine of sorts.
        Rod
        To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

Rod,
          I love most anything crypto, and steganography has always been something I want to get to "some day", so I was excited to read this thread and try your code.

So I pulled a couple of numbers out of thin air to give it a try, clicked LIST, and scrolled down a bit.

Laughed my butt off!

Try it: X=42, Y=76, and scroll down 5 clicks...

Quite the vocabulary!

I'm definitely going to keep playing with/studying this!

So Rod, did you come up with the encoding scheme? It's pretty clever. (I just re-read that, and realized it could be taken as snarky. It's not. It's a compliment.)

-John

Last edited by John Montenigro; 3 Sep 2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

John, it's not for security. The only similarity is bmp file format to hold content. Sorry if I used a "trigger" word in my question.
            Dale

Comment

So Rod, did you come up with the encoding scheme?
              Yes, but all the words aren't mine! Devising the coding took a little bit of trial and error, and a wee bit of elementary mathematics.
              As for playing with it, go right ahead. Since we're all programmers, one can adjust the code to suit oneself.

Dale, while it's not for security I can think of a couple of ways to adapt it for security but I'm not sure just what level of security they would produce. But I'm not going to go there, got enough to do with it already. No problem with the 'trigger' word, someone may see something they like and run with it.
              Rod

Comment

Hey Dale,

No problem, not a "trigger"...

I probably wasn't clear - yes, I understand this isn't for security, but rather, my interest in things crypto is what piqued my interest in Rod's program, just because I like to see how puzzles get created and solved.

But what are the odds that two random numbers that popped into my head would bring up such a word? I thought it quite funny!

-John

Comment

Hi Rod
                  Have you tested your program's image against Mcafee Steganography tool
                  https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en...anography.html

which checks for Steganography

Comment

No Anne, I have not. As previously stated, security was not my focus for this project. My purpose, at this point, was to get all the words on one page and be able to retrieve them. While the posted program uses a scrollbar so people that don't use their monitors in portrait orientated fashion as I do could access the full image. My next step is to get rid of words that have no definition that I can find, plus add a few that I know don't exist in the word list as of yet. Then I can start adding other features that I need to attain my purpose. These include but are not limited to word type, pronunciation, definition, thesaurus, etc. The project is designed to keep me out of trouble for a long while.
                    Rod

Comment

Working...
                    X